PDA

View Full Version : What is withl hid led lights

97_gq_lwb
28th July 2012, 09:52 PM
I am always reading posts about l.e.d and hid lights angel eyes etc.
I just don't get it why would you bother.:1087:

Clunk
28th July 2012, 09:59 PM
Not tha I have any but are reported to being far better at seeing things at night tha my my woeful excuse for candles I have at present lol

Clunk
28th July 2012, 10:00 PM
Oh and some of the also look pretty

NissanGQ4.2
28th July 2012, 10:03 PM
LED's draw less power.

P4trol
28th July 2012, 11:06 PM
LEDs and HID have their respective advantages over halogen including less heat, power consumption, colour temperature, and beam pattern/diffusion

Try and get a mate to take you out at night and try and sample some of the HID/LED options

Tipsy-tap

megatexture
28th July 2012, 11:12 PM
i like the idea of the lower power draw as ive gotten a flat battery once 4 wheeling solo at night having to winch and running spotties becomes a pain in the butt when its 1am and you have a flat on a bad section of track on your own! (before i fitted a dual volt gauge to keep an eye on things)

threedogs
29th July 2012, 04:40 AM
LED are great and evolving all the time, they are a great option around camp,less power draw means more battery to keep beer cold. I also run a 40" light bar all I can say is WOW on that one. You wont find better for lighting up tracks at night.

Headlights are getting there, not sure HID or projector are the answers IMO

97_gq_lwb
29th July 2012, 09:38 AM
Few good points but i have read posts where people change every bulb in the dash and tail lights to leds i can't see the point of that.
As for the headlights i run old standard yellow sealed beams mainly to stop water getting in them and they work good enough for me but i do have pretty good eyesight.

I actually went and looked into it a bit more apparently leds have a longer lifespan as well.

threedogs
29th July 2012, 11:21 AM
LEDs have no working parts like a filiment, so nothing to break on bumpy roads. I've changed all my globes to LED. Brakes and indicators Globes have 102 leds each and give that instant on/off look and bright. My dummy reverse light globes have 120 leds on each for a total of 480, great reversing on bush tracks. Interior globes are led so its brighter, plus a larger one for cargo area, Others like dash and courtesy to make it easier to read and get in/out at night. similar to another thread on here. sealed beams still best for off road IMO until something better comes along

Moatmonster
29th July 2012, 12:22 PM
HID spotlight conversions are also fantastic.I converted my Rallye 4000 to 100w HID on my old Pathfinder and the difference was breathtaking.Being able to
spot wildlife so much further down the road is critical.
A conversion on my Lightforce spotties is going to be No1 on my list of stuff to do on the Patrol.

threedogs
29th July 2012, 12:37 PM
Monster' it'd be awesome over your way, HID driving lights are certainly the go for loooong distant illumination. Spot the eyes earlier for sure

Moatmonster
29th July 2012, 12:59 PM
Monster' it'd be awesome over your way, HID driving lights are certainly the go for loooong distant illumination. Spot the eyes earlier for sure

They are mate, cannot rate them highly enough.Hey i sent you a pm!

oncedisturbed
29th July 2012, 09:56 PM
I am looking at changing over my Narva spotties to HID's and possibly the headlights to something a bit brighter

megatexture
29th July 2012, 11:49 PM
yea ive done the same as threedogs and the light output on the led in the cab is far better then the old globes i never have to worry about them blowing and its a nice white light compared to the dull yellow it once was ive done all of mine bar the ones on the bull bar

2TROLLFAM
30th July 2012, 07:48 AM
I recently changed Franks eyes to LED and it's heaps better at night BUT on a dark rainy/stormy night I couldn't see a bloody thing???

97_gq_lwb
30th July 2012, 11:30 AM
Weighing up the costs of leds in the dash and indicators etc vs bulbs i think i'll stick with bulbs very rarely have i had to replace bulbs and usually have them laying about anyway.

threedogs
30th July 2012, 11:49 AM
My reverse globes with 120 leds only cost $8 for 2. It didn't cost very much to convert all globes. Amelia what headlight globes are you running??
sounds strange you can't see on rainy nights

aussiemale
30th July 2012, 05:30 PM
I recently changed Franks eyes to LED and it's heaps better at night BUT on a dark rainy/stormy night I couldn't see a bloody thing???

Well, next time try and be brave and keep the eyes open, works wonders LOL

97_gq_lwb
30th July 2012, 07:06 PM
My reverse globes with 120 leds only cost $8 for 2. It didn't cost very much to convert all globes. Amelia what headlight globes are you running??

Yeah how do they go under water ? and at $8 for two that's well over $50 just to do parkers indicators etc are the brake and parker combo's more expensive ? then spares lol i can't justify it.

Led work light might do the trick though.

threedogs
30th July 2012, 07:17 PM
Brake/parker were cheaper from memory, they can't blow, don't know about under water, but socket in water no matter what. last 4x4 the globes were rusted in sockets.
You can get coloured LED but no point if lens already coloured,
Maybe not for all but I like instant on/off look

97_gq_lwb
30th July 2012, 07:22 PM
Yeah i use a white grease on the sockets helps stop them rusting up but i am lazy my reverse lights are still half full from the last effort and so are my parkers lol.

threedogs
30th July 2012, 07:29 PM
yeah know the feeling, what is it glass half full or glass half empty. LOL

P4trol
30th July 2012, 08:49 PM

It makes sense. Depending on the colour temperature of the lights (from yellow halogen to whiter xenon, to super white hid or led or even the illegal purple) the whiter lights are worse for inclement weather. The white ones reflect light from reflectors better. The yellower ones are better for inclement weather. Think less light reflected back from rain/fog/dust with the yellow error ones.

Tipsy-tap

threedogs
30th July 2012, 08:52 PM
Understand all that, but Amelia didn't mention she had HID, Maybe we'll find out soon.
sounds like wrong colour choice for sure.

P4trol
30th July 2012, 09:03 PM
Sorry, I should have expressed myself clearer. Amelia I think said she had just gone to LED (low beam?) , which is also is usually whiter than normal headlights. Am guessing that the light reflected back made any visibility non effective.

Happy to be wrong though.

Amelia?

Tipsy-tap

gu4500
31st July 2012, 10:10 PM
HID headlights are excellent to drive with (when setup from factory)

I have them in my latest work car and the HID low beam is very bright and really fills out the area up to the cutoff with lots of light.

This is proven by on a clear dark night, you practically cannot tell if the fog lights are on or off..... I have only used them once in heavy fog a week ago and even then they really didn't do anything, the headlights were both sufficient and better on trialling fogs on, park lights vs fogs on low beam v fogs off low beam....

And it was a thick, couldn't see 30m type of fog.

The high beam is halogen, pretty good to drive with, but I'm looking to add some pencil beam spotlights as well to the vehicle for all the night drives I do.

Vehicle is a Subaru Liberty.

And I make these comments in light of a heap of other vehicles, including my GU running H4 headlights & Lightforce XGT spotlights (not HID). 1 headlight globe is a 60/55 and the other is something like a 110/90 (due to needing a replacement in outer woop woop).

I would definately choose HID lights if it was a reasonable option when buying in future.

Lunny
22nd August 2012, 05:44 PM
As for the difference for hid and led, hid draws more power than led but uses all the power, they have to heat up to get to there ultimate brightness, these lights are great for distance. Looking at 1 km range on most so therefore make them a great long distance, open highway,beach and outback light. Note that hids are not designed nor can handle being turned on and off constantly(around town highways) when your dipping high beams for oncoming traffic.

This is where your led light bars come into play. You will not get the great distance as the hid spot light, but you will get a nice clear shine, a brilliant spread of light and a beam for at most 3-400 metres, these lights as said draw much less power and the high side turn out to be a great light around town and anywhere else pending your requirements. Led lights can be flicked on off as much as you like compared to hid. So dimming for oncoming traffic won't bugger them out.

As for camping and interiors, you can get some very small and discreet led lights, be it replacement bulbs or a length of led strip light cut to your liking. Easy to install and the output is amazing and the power draw is alot less than a halogen globe.

Lunny