PDA

View Full Version : strange noises

Gilbert
27th July 2012, 06:54 AM
Hi! I have a 97 Y60 with TD42 non turbo about 250K on the clock. Pretty standard machine with no mods. I get a strange noise, kind of a buzzing/ rattling noise on occassion. It is not overly loud. When I slow down almost to a stop there is a clunk that you can feel and the noise stops. It feels like something is out of place and gets back where it belongs when you come to a stop. Any ideas? I am thinking maybe engine mounts but have no experience with this to know for sure. Thanks for any help you can offer.

taslucas
27th July 2012, 07:53 AM
Hi gilbert, Does the noise continue if you put the clutch in and roll? Is it any particular gear or speed? Does it change under power or load? Does it ever make the sound when stationary?

threedogs
27th July 2012, 09:14 AM
Get underneath with a large screwdriver and check if any bushes , or anything for that matter is out of the ordinary. You may find it's just something simple that you can repair yourself. Brakes, front wheel bearings?????

Robo
27th July 2012, 02:40 PM
Suspension bushes is probably the clunk.
or loose caliper Mt bolt even
Sometime a worn muffler can give a rattle you describe, Internally broken.
there is a list a long as both my arms of hums and rattles.

Gilbert
28th July 2012, 09:21 PM
Suspension bushes is probably the clunk.
or loose caliper Mt bolt even
Sometime a worn muffler can give a rattle you describe, Internally broken.
there is a list a long as both my arms of hums and rattles.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Will be checking these things out. A mechanic friend here also suggested it is the auto lock hubs giving trouble. Not engaging properly so making noise then disengaging with a clunk. Will work on it this week and will let you know if I find anything.

Gilbert
4th August 2012, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the input. Did find a funky suspension bushing. It turned out to be auto lock hubs. One was worn, the other was totally stuffed. Fixed one and took the other out for now. Now my Patrol is 3 wheel drive!

nissannewby
4th August 2012, 08:04 PM
Actually it will only be a 2wd. The front diff is an open diff so will transfer the power to the easiest axle to spin and since there is no load on the side you have no hub on it will spin that side all day long. The only thing that will change this is if you have a locker.