PDA

View Full Version : water excess in radiator

mudmav
27th July 2012, 01:44 AM
hi ive noticed the radiator keeps filling the overflow bottle but not sucking it back , i did have the wrong cap on and the wrong (no)thermostadt but since changing no effect at all , no oil in water and no water in oil but seems to be pressure build up or something faulty somewhere all hoses are new and unobstructed and in the right place any one have any clue as to what might be happening. temps are always good under load or not

mud mav

Ade
27th July 2012, 02:07 AM
G'day Mudmav,

If everything else in the cooling system are checked and in good nick, it could be the head gasket, pre combustion chamber or worst the head itself. Open up your radiator cap first thing tomorrow morning before you start the engine and see where is coolant level in the radiator neck. If it is down below the neck not to to the top where the cap seat, the chances are higher now.

There are proper methods to check on combustion gases present in the coolant but what I did was with a transparent plastic bottle filled up with water, take out the reservoir tank cap and dip the hose in the the bottle. Start the engine and give it some light rev and see if the is any bubble coming out. I got loads of them, turned out all my pre combustion chamber (TD42) are cracked..badly. It didn't have any issue on temperature either.

Just a thought,
Ade

mudmav
27th July 2012, 11:37 AM
what was the fix sounds expensive

BillsGU
27th July 2012, 12:21 PM
This link may help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_SIwHMLmkM

Orright .... OK ....... right, etc ................

Ade
27th July 2012, 01:58 PM
Hopefully there's no cracks' on the head, at least just a blown head gasket. On mine, I had the head resurfaced but no luck, the cracks are just too bad and it has reached the minimum head thickness (87.9mm - TD42). Swapping the engine that I got from a local wrecker was the best option I had though pre combustion chamber can be replace but I wanted to run a standard IP (reliability vs joy)..

mudmav
27th July 2012, 11:25 PM
mine is a tb 4.2 but dont think that helps much , was wondering if that majic copper powder stuff you add to your radiator might fix it for a while , still cant understand why there is no oil in the water or water in the oil though i suppose thats not far away knowing my luck i do know a wrecker who has a tb sitting in his yard i can get on the cheap might pay to get it and do a reco while this one gently craps its pants .

ns3474
28th July 2012, 08:13 PM
mine is a tb 4.2 but dont think that helps much , was wondering if that majic copper powder stuff you add to your radiator might fix it for a while , still cant understand why there is no oil in the water or water in the oil though i suppose thats not far away knowing my luck i do know a wrecker who has a tb sitting in his yard i can get on the cheap might pay to get it and do a reco while this one gently craps its pants .

Hopefully only the gasket,mine did the same for a month or two,added chemi weld thinking it was the head .still had problem three months later so ripped head off to find large hole in gasket.Cheaper to replace gasket then head.

97_gq_lwb
28th July 2012, 08:25 PM
Headgaskets can go a few ways water in oil etc is just one of them.
compression leak into cooling system is another .
And even between cylinders.
I have done a few tb42 headgaskets and never had one with a cracked head so far .
But before you go ripping the head off check the line for leaks and also where it goes through the cap on the overflow bottle for pinholes.
And check for air bubbles

Robo
28th July 2012, 08:56 PM
There are so many reasons this could be happening that its hard to give a exact reason, have a look and look some more.
had this one, a leaking hose on vacume engine cooling down only, and not leaking with pressure and hot, go figure, so keep looking these things are sometimes hard to find.

mudmav
29th July 2012, 10:17 AM
had a reply from bills gu and there was a link for a you tube vid among many all sorts of ideas one was burping and if youve changed water lately so i have so i burped the system and we went for a 100 k plus drive which is enough to normally fill the expasion tank but notice that its still at the same level.

Ade
29th July 2012, 09:35 PM
I'm not sure about TB but in my case, head was resurfaced but the cracks on the pre combustion chamber are too bad they need replacement. As 97GQ said, it could be at it's early stage of head problem..compression leaks into the cooling system. Coolant in engine oil is at the later stage. Bummer mate..chances are higher now. Get a proper test that will clear it out..

By the way, is there any air bubble in the cooling system?

mudmav
30th July 2012, 10:25 PM
done heaps of ks now since the burp radiators back to fine so must have been air lock in system as someone suggested , thankgod i never removed the head .

BillsGU
31st July 2012, 10:32 AM
done heaps of ks now since the burp radiators back to fine so must have been air lock in system as someone suggested , thankgod i never removed the head .

Good to see a "cheap" fix for once.