PDA

View Full Version : TJM winch

89gqpatrol4x4
26th July 2012, 07:16 PM
After being convinced to go rope for my winch (by all of you) I now have the delema of which winch. TJM do a 1200lbs winch but is it any good? Has anyone had experience with it? Arb do a warn xdcs (I think) 9500 lbs winch. The tjm is $1200 and the arb is $2000. I like the TJM because it is a 6.6 hp motor but I like the warn as it has a overlaod cut out on it, but is only 4.8hp. Is the warn really $800 better and will it cope with a camper trailer if I get one in the future? Any thoughts on which winch brand would be greatly appreciated, as 4wders not salesmen your thoughts mean more!

Mazodude
26th July 2012, 07:21 PM
I have a warn winch. A warn will never break.
Sorry I can't say on the TJM winch.

megatexture
26th July 2012, 07:28 PM
800$ is a big jump there are alot of good winches out there that dont cost the earth, 4x4 action did a comparo on winches a while back ill see if i can pm it to you (not sure if i can post it up here for copywrite reasons so ill pm it). regardless of what winch you get i would do a double line pull so its not working its ass off.

taslucas
26th July 2012, 08:21 PM
I have a warn winch. A warn will never break.
Sorry I can't say on the TJM winch.

A mate has blown up two warn winches ( patrol Ute on 38s). He then bought a cheapo one (sorry I don't know the brand) and hasn't broken it yet! You never can tell...

Tap, crackle, pop

Winnie
26th July 2012, 08:23 PM
My cousin broke a Warn winch, GU ute on 35s. Now has an Ironman 12000lb winch and it's lasted twice as long as the Warn did and hasn't given a drop of trouble.

Maxhead
26th July 2012, 08:35 PM
Mate you will get 1000 answers. Get the one you feel like. I have the tjm and like it so far but very limited use. Pulled out a tractor out a river though....another story. Get your self a tigerz and experiment

..........on the move

89gqpatrol4x4
26th July 2012, 08:37 PM
My cousin broke a Warn winch, GU ute on 35s. Now has an Ironman 12000lb winch and it's lasted twice as long as the Warn did and hasn't given a drop of trouble.

I also know two people who have had trouble with warn and thats what worries me. $2000 is alot of money.

threedogs
26th July 2012, 09:37 PM
The $800 difference could get you a great set of TJM outback side steps. nearly enough for an Engel or Waceo as well, Awning you name it'
How many times do you expect to use your winch, most sit there for years and don't get used, Could spool it with Dyneema.
tell me when to stop,ok stop, but hope you get what I mean.

megatexture
26th July 2012, 10:25 PM
ye i agree threedogs 2k is a hell of a lot, even a moderate quality winch well maintained would serve its purpose for a good long time i have a tabor(made by warn) winch that was around the 1k mark and I’ve serviced it once in 4 years and its done some serious recoveries and never missed a beat cant be happier

threedogs
26th July 2012, 10:54 PM
Only has to work once, and its a good winch. you could up grade solenoids on a cheaper style winch
Warn are great winches but its a lot to invest on one accessory, put a front Pro locker in it.
You'll still get stuck, but just further down the track LOL

89gqpatrol4x4
27th July 2012, 01:35 AM
Only has to work once, and its a good winch. you could up grade solenoids on a cheaper style winch
Warn are great winches but its a lot to invest on one accessory, put a front Pro locker in it.
You'll still get stuck, but just further down the track LOL

I,ve got air lockers and yep I get further but not to keen to brake out the hand winch LOL

rkinsey
27th July 2012, 02:31 AM
I also know two people who have had trouble with warn and thats what worries me. $2000 is alot of money.

Every Manufacturer has some small issues with any one of their products (Thats any item manfactured by humans...) Do your homework (Like asking questions on a forum..... hahaha) and compare the specs not just HP or load co efficients but also line speed is a key factor as well and then there is the warranty. Does the manufacturer offer return to base or onsite warranty (Most of them are RTB) Then of course there is the cost factor, and that comes down to your own budget. You also have to take into account the type of 4WDriving you are going to be doing.

In saying all of that, stick with the mainstream manufacturers like Warn and TJM (Although they are a distributor I think) These peole are going to have a support network all over Australia.

Deffinately check out the 4WD ACtion winch writeup in issue 159 they did last year. (They have a video on their website)

Me, I have an old Warn highmount on the front of my GQ using 9mm x 30m steel cable. Have used it only once, and that was to drag a three tonne bobcat buried to its belly in mud 50 feet accross my backyard to the driveway so the builder could load the bobcat onto his truck.

Just my two cents worth.

Cheers,

Rob

threedogs
27th July 2012, 11:17 AM
Could ask yourself if you really need it. As stated elsewhere most just sit there for years and never get used. Would diff locks be a better option for you. You'd be amazed what a twin diff locked 4x4 can do. Plus a lot of weight on your front end. Dyneema and a hawse fairlead would take a bit of weight off. $2000 doing nothing, there are some $600- $800 jobs out there with 3 yr warranty

taslucas
27th July 2012, 11:54 AM
Could ask yourself if you really need it. As stated elsewhere most just sit there for years and never get used. Would diff locks be a better option for you. You'd be amazed what a twin diff locked 4x4 can do. Plus a lot of weight on your front end. Dyneema and a hawse fairlead would take a bit of weight off. $2000 doing nothing, there are some $600- $800 jobs out there with 3 yr warranty

He's told us he's already got lockers mate

Tap, crackle, pop

threedogs
27th July 2012, 12:50 PM
Thats it, I'm out of here, bye all

megatexture
27th July 2012, 12:57 PM
my winch almost gets used every time i go out not usualy for my rig but realy comes in handy and if i had twin lockers i think i would need it all the same as id be driveing harder stuff again pushing it that bit further

89gqpatrol4x4
27th July 2012, 05:34 PM
my winch almost gets used every time i go out not usualy for my rig but realy comes in handy and if i had twin lockers i think i would need it all the same as id be driveing harder stuff again pushing it that bit further

my thoughts exactly, and as we do alot on our own I'm not using the lockers to there full potential as I am worried about getting stuck. The winch would be a nice little safety net and if all else fails I have the hand winch.

megatexture
7th August 2012, 04:45 PM
comparo sent mate on email