PDA

View Full Version : GQ pulling to left after 3" flexy installed

simy
25th July 2012, 10:09 PM
Hey fellas, i did a search and came up with nothing.

I had my mechanic install the 3" flexy kit into the GQ and now when braking it pulls to left.
Any ideas? It had a 2 inch flexy kit in it before with no dramas.

Im fairly pissed off at my mechanic as he didnt put the extended brake hose on the rear, put it on the front and chucked that out, so now i have to but a new one for the rear as well. rear one almost pulls off when flexing. also suspension stuff didnt give me the brake bias bracket so i need one of those

cheers, Simsy

nissannewby
25th July 2012, 10:19 PM
All the geometery will be slightly out mine does it also with a 5" flexy lift. It all has to do with the angles everything will be on. With your brake lines you normally can put the rear up the front and just get the extended one for the rear.

megatexture
25th July 2012, 11:23 PM
im thinking that was the simys intention but the mechanic had a diffrent idea lol

choochie
26th July 2012, 12:54 AM
Have u fitted a new adjustable draglink to bring the steering back in line?

nissannewby
26th July 2012, 02:58 AM
it will be the angle the draglink is running on that will cause the issue from factory these are pretty much level throw 3"s of lift under it and it now has an angle in it so when braking the front of the car dives as such which compresses the front springs, when this occur as the arm comes through its arc it will effectively turn the wheel left.

simy
26th July 2012, 01:28 PM
Cheers for the comments, yeh i wanted the mechanic to put the front brake line on the back but he decided otherwise, my fault for not explaining to him.

Ok so i need an adjustable draglink then? What is the best one to get on a budget? i just find it weird because its only and extra inch on my old lift.

I only use my GQ for wheeling out bush, this is the only time it gets driven, is there any repercussions in not doing the new draglink?

Thanks heaps fellas for explaining it to me, Simsy

MudRunnerTD
26th July 2012, 02:04 PM
Cheers for the comments, yeh i wanted the mechanic to put the front brake line on the back but he decided otherwise, my fault for not explaining to him.

Ok so i need an adjustable draglink then? What is the best one to get on a budget? i just find it weird because its only and extra inch on my old lift.

I only use my GQ for wheeling out bush, this is the only time it gets driven, is there any repercussions in not doing the new draglink?

Thanks heaps fellas for explaining it to me, Simsy

Hey Simy,

As Newby stated your front brake line goes in the bin anyway. The rear factory one is longer and goes up front and the new one you bought goes in the back so no big deal just get him to swap them over.

Now in relation to the Drag link?? as Newby stated the angle will be out but i am not sure fitting an adjustable one will solve that mate. Choochie mentions it but the only thing the drag link will do for you is adjust the position of the steering wheel for you, Adjusting it wont change "It's" angle. Do you have any form of Caster correction? if not then she'll be pretty toey and quick to steer and likely a combination of poor caster and road camber bias to the left will see you dive over to the left a bit. fixing the caster will rotate the drag link back up a little and relieve the issues that Newby noted above.

........I think?

MudRunnerTD
26th July 2012, 02:05 PM
Have you checked your tyre Pressures????

simy
26th July 2012, 08:26 PM
Tyre pressure is fine, brake lines are fine and i fitted castor correction. It actually handles better than before now, more stable on the road. It's weird because it was fine the morning it went in, and then came out with the problem, so it has to be something from the lift causing it?
I might take it too a brake joint and see if they can work it out.

There is no way i will be going back to the retard mechanic who fitted it, most unprofessional service i have ever received.

nissannewby
26th July 2012, 10:50 PM
Yeah i mentioned it in post #5

choochie
27th July 2012, 01:37 AM
Try bleeding the brakes again as the mechanic might have done it half assed.

[Tapatalk2 on Nexus7]

Ade
27th July 2012, 03:00 AM
it will be the angle the draglink is running on that will cause the issue from factory these are pretty much level throw 3"s of lift under it and it now has an angle in it so when braking the front of the car dives as such which compresses the front springs, when this occur as the arm comes through its arc it will effectively turn the wheel left.

Mine is 3" lift and are having the same issue, not much and acceptable. Maybe a GU steering box or I think I've seen an after market longer pitman arm can solve the problem..???

nissannewby
27th July 2012, 05:28 AM
It is ideal for all suspension and steering arms to be as level as possible when the car is just sitting there under its own weight. You could raise the point on the diff or lower the point on the steering box to help overcome this. Its not so much the length of the pitman arm but how far it drops down.

Ade
27th July 2012, 06:11 AM
....Its not so much the length of the pitman arm but how far it drops down.

Yup3.. That's the word..drops down. Read somewhere too that level drag link and panhard rod will reduce bump steer???

nissannewby
27th July 2012, 04:29 PM
Yes mate that's correct for the same reason as the steering arm.

huey_gq
28th August 2012, 01:24 PM
Would you reccomend flexy coils from suspension stuff otherwise? What length shocks did you get?

SammiGQ
28th August 2012, 03:03 PM
Would you reccomend flexy coils from suspension stuff otherwise? What length shocks did you get?

I got the 3 inch flexy coils all round with 6 inch rear shocks and 3-4 inch front. Can't fault them after 4 months they are really great.

huey_gq
28th August 2012, 07:27 PM
Thats good to hear, i'm thinking of going for the 4" flexys. Just got to build up some more funds.