PDA

View Full Version : Concrete slab with epoxy resin and embed rustic ornaments

AB
25th July 2012, 08:30 PM
Hoping for any concreters or people in the know for this one.

Apparently there is a house in my area who has a concrete slab poured with rustic ornaments embedded in the slab followed by a clear coat (most likely an epoxy resin) to seal it up.

They put old blades, saws and rustic ornaments in the slab, etc which I think is an awesome effect!!!

Has anyone seen this or can give advise on the best way to achieve it?

My mate has seen it and is a concreter and if I go down this path will be doing for the NP man cave but just throwing the idea out there for any comments that may help or inspire.

I just want to make this clubhouse with a wow factor for decades to come. Spent too many hours to finish it off half ass now...LMAO

Google is no help apart from the below.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/07/43.jpg

taslucas
25th July 2012, 08:35 PM
I have seen it before and i agree it looks awesome. Theres also a restaurant here that has done it on all their bench tops with similar bits of old blades, bolts and screws etc. Theres a company that advertises on the tv here, i think they're called Armour floors. Apart from that i have no info lol

taslucas
25th July 2012, 08:35 PM
here it is: http://www.armourfloors.com.au/

EDIT: theres not a great deal of info there

Winnie
25th July 2012, 08:38 PM
I've seen it done on a floor with old records. Looked awesome, and your idea sounds awesome too, Andy

Tappa tappa

04OFF
25th July 2012, 10:06 PM
Pretty sure you can just use the same polyurethane they use over timber floors AB, concrete must be smooth and flat, roller the polly over your "items", its self leveling, so a few coats should see a nice flat gloss finish.

nissannewby
25th July 2012, 10:09 PM
Are you gonna be using old patrol parts instead?

threedogs
25th July 2012, 10:53 PM
Yo AB ever thought about polishing the concrete slab so the aggregate shows through then clear lacquer, looks good. That epoxy clear is pricey, was going to do similar to you but with gem stones my father collected. I'll try and PM you with a picture on how I've mounted my rustic stuff

AB
26th July 2012, 09:24 AM
Thanks gents....John, yes I thought about polishing but you'll have to embed the ornaments deeper in the slab so the helicopter doesnt catch on to the items youve put in the slab.

Just throwing ideas around, I can't really afford epoxy resin but the polly idea sounds good mate!