PDA

View Full Version : Need to change my GU III dash cluster from MPH to KPH - suggestions?

foibles
25th July 2012, 01:00 PM
Hi there,

I have recently imported a GUIII patrol.

The only relevant bit of information I am hoping to clarify is.....the dash cluster reads in MPH, and so presumably (almost certainly) the vehicle is also calibrated for MPH.

What is the cheapest way to rectify this? I presume I can just get some sort of fascia change (in fact, I have heard of people who change kmh to mph just with a small sticker, so maybe the reverse is possible?). The main part is obviously calibrating the car speed correctly - is new wiring or a cable etc required for this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Foibles

threedogs
25th July 2012, 01:15 PM
hi and welcome to the forum, usually members will introduce themselves in the intro section first. Anyway there is a thread on White faced dials for GUs somewhere. wouldn't think you'd need to re calibrate from MPH to KPH

foibles
25th July 2012, 03:04 PM
Hi threedogs.

Thanks - and apologies for the apparent discourtesy on my part - agreed it was not the best intro. (In my defense, I had registered previously and posted some threads on the forum relating to air conditioning work - but I had forgotten my password, and no longer have access to the email account with which to recover it. I know that its never best to be creating 'multiple personalities'....forum schizophrenia.........but I could not figure out a way around it).

I'll get to updating my profile shortly. As an interesting little side note - my vehicle just turned up today - and I had no idea what a massive unit the patrol is. I live in a CBD apartment. The thing hardly gets under the electric gate, and pokes out about 3 feet in my carspace. Still, it looks like if I accidentally hit a pillar or some such, the building may be worse off than my car.

I'll check out those white faced dials now!

cheers,

Foibles (Jeremy)

threedogs
25th July 2012, 04:21 PM
Yeah not the most nimble of 4x4s out there, Built tough, well the steel bits anyway

foibles
25th July 2012, 06:05 PM
cheers - found the thread, and just contacted Ebay Seller 'imakedialsforcars'.

$78 delivered - seems like a fair price.

know I just need to;

* figure out how to do it (or who to get to do it)
* see if my speedo needs to be recalibrated (I presume it will - as this has been in MPH, then simply fitting a kph dial over the top will lead to an incorrect reading. the speedo will say 100 (thinking it is MPH) when the car is actually doing 160 kmh!! I cant have that!!

foibles
25th July 2012, 06:07 PM
hmmmm...how to edit a post, so that people dont think I cant tell the difference between know and now.

threedogs
25th July 2012, 06:50 PM
after you fit new backing plate instead of reading 60mph it will read 100kph not 160kph. 45mph will be 75 kph 35mph will be 60 kph and so on

As I just did go back to post and hit edit post down the bottom

Yendor
25th July 2012, 07:35 PM
after you fit new backing plate instead of reading 60mph it will read 100kph not 160kph. 45mph will be 75 kph 35mph will be 60 kph and so on

I understand this, but (there's always a but) what about the odometer?

The odometer will still be reading in MPH.

I'm not sure if a Nissan dealer can change it from MPH to KPH, but I'm guessing to do it correctly you will need another instrument cluster.

threedogs
25th July 2012, 07:41 PM
OOOOH Might just be a switch hopefully that flicks from miles to kilometers, now I'm stumped. may have to look at some wiring diagrams, new speedo cluster only $200 I think, why not just do that
save all headaches