PDA

View Full Version : brake pad replacement/nissan

megatexture
24th July 2012, 09:49 PM
the wife took the troll to Nissan to day to get serviced as I’ve not got the time atm and its still under warranty and i asked her to get them to do the brake pads front/back they rung her with a quote during the day of $307 for the back and $410.65 for the front ! And claim the front need to be machined..The cars only done 50,000k. I’ve not even had my hilux rotors machined and i use a set of pads on the front every 10,000k (80,000k)

so where do you all get your pads and brands as ill need them asap f$#k Nissan ill do them at 3 in the morning if i have to haha

the ferret
24th July 2012, 10:00 PM
Ha ha, the last set I bought for the GU were about, $60 per axle, about an hour to fit max.
Cheers, the ferret.

Oh yeah, Nizzbits will post them to you.

Silver
24th July 2012, 10:04 PM
some crowds want to skim the rotors/discs every pad change these days. Used to be a rarity, but not any more?

MudRunnerTD
24th July 2012, 10:37 PM
if the brakes feel ok then forget the rotors i reckon. especially on a 50k car. I got my last set of Bendix from ebay Much Much cheaper than from a store. Wow the Bendix are the Bomb mate! Very impressed with the feedback i get from them! Highly recommend these to anyone.

As Ferret says mate not a big deal to change them in your driveway.

Headup though, your rears are likely to be in very very good nick mate and will most probably do another 100,000kms ;) I Bet ;) Take a wheel off and have a look. Better still ask Nissan to Tell you how much is left (That is their job) rather than tell you how much!

threedogs
24th July 2012, 10:50 PM
Bendix good value for money, save your money for drilled rotors down the track

nissannewby
24th July 2012, 11:12 PM
Most good parts suppliers will do them for 60-80 each end. So just do the ring around pads can be replaced on the patrols without removing the caliper. Drilled rotors and 4wd's tend not to go together very well they just fill up with mud and is very hard to clean I have slotted rotors on my GQ and wont be putting them on another 4wd I own for that reason they just fill up with crap and the only way to clean them properly is to remove the wheel.

megatexture
25th July 2012, 12:13 AM
Headup though, your rears are likely to be in very very good nick mate and will most probably do another 100,000kms ;) I Bet ;) Take a wheel off and have a look. Better still ask Nissan to Tell you how much is left (That is their job) rather than tell you how much!

That’s the strange part the rear have worn more than the front ! And these are the original pads from new. Nissan reckon I’ve got 1000k on the rear and 4000k on the front remaining.
I’ve got a 2" lift and adjusted the brake proportioning valve but I’ve always thought that brakes were like 60% front 40% back or something like that so to get even wear is a bit strange.also all pads are wearing evenly

when i was away at the boys weekend at woodgate i had a good look and at that time there was like 1.5mm on the rear pads.

who stock the bendix? supercrap, repco,auto barn

GQ TANK
25th July 2012, 06:25 PM
You shoul be able to find some one that can do the brakes and retain "warranty"

megatexture
25th July 2012, 06:43 PM
I’ve got both front(75) and back(50) today and just fitted the backs ill wait a bit for the fronts id say there’s more than 4000k left on them judging by the thickness they come and what’s left. Damn lucky too as the rear only had about .8mm on them lucky they wore even also or it would be metal on metal lol.

megatexture
25th July 2012, 06:45 PM
You shoul be able to find some one that can do the brakes and retain "warranty"

prob should have but there warranty isnt worth much realy and if something blows up they cant surely say brake pads did it or heads will roll

MudRunnerTD
25th July 2012, 07:22 PM
I reckon you have too much on your Brake Proportioning valve and got too much bias on the rear. Back it off a little i reckon as you are right and most of the work is done by the front brakes.

Beware running low pads! Brake Pads on a Nissan Patrol will and Do drop out if travelling on hard terrain. Very Common mate and then your up for new disks too for sure.

megatexture
25th July 2012, 07:58 PM
cheers mate, yea the wife would kill me if that happened while she was driving last time something fell off she was driving and it was a damn tyre.
i made the extension myself 2" extension for a 2 " lift so not sure how it could be wrong might have to see how this set of pads wear and adjust if needed may just be from to much mud or something like that.