PDA

View Full Version : Back in the shop

GQ snail
24th July 2012, 08:21 AM
So the lifter tick and large amounts of smoke have not stopped since head replacement, put the snail in the shop to get issues sorted. Fingers crossed all sorted and running better than ever by this arvo.

Dying to have her back up and running like new.

Silver
24th July 2012, 08:28 AM
best wishes for Snail :-)

threedogs
24th July 2012, 09:22 AM
I'm interested in your comments when the Snail returns, hopefully all good news

Sir Roofy
24th July 2012, 10:23 AM
all the best for the snail might be a bent rod

nissannewby
24th July 2012, 01:56 PM
Let us know how she goes. It could be a cracked piston, bent rod etc. Or even something as simple as the head not being torqued down correctly. Either or good luck

GQ snail
24th July 2012, 05:22 PM
Ok, so she is back from the shop. Mechanic recomended glow plug change to fix smoke and rough running on cold starts, so I did that this arvo. As for the tick, it is an ongoing saga. It has been discovered that tick only occurs whilst car is in gear and being driven, not present at idle or high reves whist in neutral or foot on clutch. Mechanic suggested more sound insulation under gear stick boot, I dont believe this is the answer as noise was not there prior to doing timing belt and head reco. He did full pressure test and found all good there, no loss in pressure, so thinking this rules out piston or head issues. I also reckon she is down on power, also noted oil pressure good untill warm then whilst at idle all pressure drops until revs up again, mech tells me normal due to less resisance with warm oil. Any furher suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

threedogs
24th July 2012, 06:02 PM
Sounds ok, oil pressure normally half guage going along and drops at idle thats with after market guages, stick screw driver to ear and pin point the tick, Have you got a short shift in your GQ???

Ade
24th July 2012, 07:36 PM
Not on a trol but my Isuzu ute with 4JB1 engine used to have similar problem..ticking sound from the engine, some black smoke and lost of power below 2000rpm..turned out to be IP problem. Not a serious problem though, a day in the shop and cost me around $200AUD..

Just a thought..

nissannewby
24th July 2012, 08:08 PM
Have you ever done the advance plate on the pump? Is it hard to start sometimes?

GQ snail
25th July 2012, 10:30 AM
Cheers for all suggestions.

Yesterday evening whilst dropping the boy at footy the noise was worse than ever, even started at idle now, by chance I was driving past mechanics and he was still in. I dropped in and let him hear it now car was up to full temp and had been driven for a while. He def thinks it big end bearing and main shell. So back into shop today to have sump pulled of and thses things checked. He said when the pistons hit the head it prob would just transfered the impact to bearing. Im thinking he on right track now. Hoping should be all good by weekend now.

GQ snail
26th July 2012, 05:35 PM
bottom end pulled off and all bearings reported to be in A1 condition. Now saying "yep it the tappets that need replacing" sure this is what I said when I took it in, jesus. Now going to set me back 1500 bucks due to work done today and to have them fixed. So annoying this rubbish.

threedogs
26th July 2012, 05:52 PM
Costly but at least its all sorted now for years of trouble free 4x4ing

Ade
26th July 2012, 05:59 PM
bottom end pulled off and all bearings reported to be in A1 condition. Now saying "yep it the tappets that need replacing" sure this is what I said when I took it in, jesus. Now going to set me back 1500 bucks due to work done today and to have them fixed. So annoying this rubbish.

You meant the rocker arm? Could be but my rocker arm on the old engine were in pretty bad condition, badly scored on the face where they in touch with the valve but it didn't produce any ticking sound.

Hope you found the problem soon..

97_gq_lwb
26th July 2012, 06:21 PM

Nothing worse then piss poor mechanics playing the guessing game at the customers expense.

GQ snail
31st July 2012, 04:03 PM
So the lifters have not been replaced like the mech wanted to, I got him to do a oil pressure check with a master gauge, turns out the snail running zero pressure, this would make any hydrolic lifter tick, so new oil pump ordered and install happening tomorrow. Fingers crossed this is the final chapter and I will be back on the trails this weekend.

healy
31st July 2012, 05:11 PM
Find a new mechanic this guy sounds like a joke

threedogs
31st July 2012, 06:00 PM
Hope you're not paying for his thinking time?

97_gq_lwb
31st July 2012, 07:07 PM
I think the ticking is coming from a rock in your tyre lets just replace them all and see if it works.
I recall your other thread asking you about the oil pressure and you responded.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?13195-Blue-Smoke-and-Tick.

Yeah engine has had really good run. Oil pressure is spot on.

Are you sure your mechanic put the oil pickup back in when the done the big ends lol

nissannewby
31st July 2012, 09:43 PM
bring it round and ill have a look at it for you for free hell i could even come to you pm me if interested.

Morton
31st July 2012, 10:07 PM
bring it round and ill have a look at it for you for free hell i could even come to you pm me if interested.

good onya Nissannewby, this forum still works well

GQ snail
21st August 2012, 10:03 PM
Whoo hoo!! All fixed and the old girl is running like it off the factory floor. So in the end I did the work myself, more rewarding for me and the bank account. Got new lifters under warranty, and thinking mech timed it up wrong. I checked it and it was out slightly. Sorted now and memories of how much I love my patrol coming back. Can't wait to hit the tracks.

Silver
21st August 2012, 10:25 PM
Good news at last!!!!!

97_gq_lwb
21st August 2012, 11:02 PM
Good to hear it's sorted i hope you avoid that mechanic in the future lol

Clunk
21st August 2012, 11:04 PM
Excellent stuff, so where's the detailed report with pictures then? ;)

threedogs
22nd August 2012, 03:49 PM
Bloody fantastic, you sure got screwed by your " mechanic".
Stick to the forum even if to find a decent mechanic in your area.
hit those tracks buddy

Rustyboner81
22nd August 2012, 07:09 PM
guys what the word?
i got ticking on the rb30 after valve timing and oil/filter change. not too worried though.
i figure its the thiner oil caz what came out was thick and black, now its still nice and yellow.
was gonna get a second hand head and maybe swap some stuff around between them