PDA

View Full Version : Dyno Results

Steve4wdin
23rd July 2012, 08:47 PM
Has any one had there Patrols "dynoed"? I had mine done last friday and was horribly shocked to find it only had 36rwkw. WHAT THE??? I`ve got a 2011, 3lt crd series 7.:1087:

Ben-e-boy
23rd July 2012, 08:59 PM
Has any one had there Patrols "dynoed"? I had mine done last friday and was horribly shocked to find it only had 36rwkw. WHAT THE??? I`ve got a 2011, 3lt crd series 7.:1087:

thats 48 hp at the wheels, either the dyno operator cocked up with something, you have motor issues or you dont service it. a well kept, bog-stock N/A td42 will make 70-75 at the wheels.

MudRunnerTD
23rd July 2012, 09:20 PM
Yeah Nah! not sure that is right??? Tell me? how many runs did he do? Is that the result of the first run or the last run on the dyno? Did he charge you? Did he give you a Print Out of the Run that produced 36rwkw? I'd like to see that! post it here.

Steve4wdin
23rd July 2012, 10:15 PM
Firstly,The car has less than 10,000 ks on it, Serviced at 1000 than again at 5, and will be going in for its 10.000 soon. The only thing that isn`t stock is the exhaust. Yes I have a print out, I will scan it tomorrow and post it up.I had a Diesel Smart Module fitted and now getting 91rwkw.

97_gq_lwb
23rd July 2012, 10:18 PM
Maybe it was a smoke and mirror show to make the diesel smart chip look good on the dyno.

nissannewby
23rd July 2012, 10:23 PM
Yeah they can do this and its as easy as putting a probe in a different spot for each run. If you had 36 rwkw it would be painfully slow especially pushing around a wagon.

Steve4wdin
23rd July 2012, 10:26 PM
It was painfully slow. It is now a completly different car to drive.

97_gq_lwb
23rd July 2012, 10:32 PM
Must have had something wrong with it before hand.

MudRunnerTD
23rd July 2012, 10:57 PM
Maybe it was a smoke and mirror show to make the diesel smart chip look good on the dyno.

Yeah I tend to agree, regardless of how good the Chip is it was never designed to give you a 200% power increase. To be honest a decent tuner should be able to get +90 rwkws with a decent tune without the need of a chip.

At the end of the day though if your happy with your 91 rwkw now then smile and enjoy.

threedogs
24th July 2012, 07:22 AM
Wouldn't you take it back to Nissan with those figures, not fit a chip??? sounds strange

Steve4wdin
24th July 2012, 08:36 AM
How much do you loose from flywheel to back tyres? Considering on a good day they are about 110-118kw at the flywheel. The guy tuning stated the fuel was being starved before he tuned and added the "module". So has anyone actually had there car "dynoed"?

97_gq_lwb
24th July 2012, 08:43 AM
I would imagine a 30% loss at the most generally 20% on a car through the drive train automatics more then manual.

MudRunnerTD
24th July 2012, 09:07 AM
How much do you loose from flywheel to back tyres? Considering on a good day they are about 110-118kw at the flywheel. The guy tuning stated the fuel was being starved before he tuned and added the "module". So has anyone actually had there car "dynoed"?

Hi Steve,

everyone talking to you now has most likely had their car Dynoed mate, its a common and well worth while state of tune.

A decent Dyno tuner will get you maybe 30 to 40% power up just on the retune from factory spec regardless. When i got my GUIV TD42Ti done it drove on with 67rwkw on 33s and drove out with 93rwkws. Out standing result for me but also absolutely predictable and common.

If you drove out with 91rwkws then you likely drove in (or should have) with around 50 to 60 rwkw with ease i would have thought? anyone here had their ZD30CRD done off spec?

As mentioned above though bud, if you drove on with less than 40rwkws then you really should have been asking the question of Mr Nissan first? Go the Chip certainly but your chip is Not a 200% Powerup and most of your gain was achieve with a screw Driver ;)

nissannewby
24th July 2012, 01:17 PM
Yeah I agree 200% is a huge increase for a chip. You certainly wouldnt loose 80 kw as i think the crd are around the 120kw mark from factory at the engine. Something wasnt right to begin with or it is the smoke and mirrors thing. I have a mate who is a tuner and has tuned my car and my mates and he showed us how we coould make 30 extra hp at the wheels just by moving one of the probes for the dyno.

Dingo55
24th July 2012, 07:38 PM

Hi Steve, what's the name of the place you got it dynoed? PM if you like please.

cheers,

Steve4wdin
24th July 2012, 08:23 PM
Dingo,
Insight motorsports at Arndel Park Fitted the module and Dynoed the patrol. I bought the module from Supercar performance in QLD. They have no affiliation with each other.
Mudrunner,
I am not at all saying the module / chip gave a 200% gain. The guy ran the car twice and got the same result. He too questioned the result, however he has retuned (with a screw driver) the settings, fitted the module and dynoed again an other four runs to achieve the result of 91kw. I am more curious wether mr nissan sold me a lemon or if it is normal. Dealers suk, and more than likely tell me more bull to add to my frustration.

boots
24th July 2012, 09:01 PM
Interesting thread Steve , thanks for sharing . keen to know your fuel useage / economy prior to dyno ?

Steve4wdin
24th July 2012, 09:32 PM
Interesting thread Steve , thanks for sharing . keen to know your fuel useage / economy prior to dyno ?

Boots, I was useing about 15lt/100klms. I haven`t had a chance to retest but on the weekend I towed my camper trailer down south coast, it wieghs in at about 1000kgs, round trip was 330ks and I used just under half a tank. I was impressed

flemj
24th July 2012, 09:59 PM
Hi Guys,

What should a dyno tune cost?

John

MudRunnerTD
24th July 2012, 10:43 PM
Hi Guys,

What should a dyno tune cost?

John

It depends whether your car is ready for a Dyno or needs mods to make it worth your while? If you dont have a Manual Boost Controller fitted then dont bother till you do or pay them to fit one. If you dont have a Bung in your exhaust for the Pyro then they will drill a hole and plug it when they are done for a little extra cost but i'd recommend getting a Pyro anyway ;)

A Dyno Tune will cost you anywhere from $120 to $170 for a basic Power Up Tune through to Lots if other Mods need to be done as above.

Great Outcome guaranteed though. Driving out of the Dyno tuner after the first time you get it done is Awesome!!

Steve4wdin
26th July 2012, 08:07 PM
I had the patrol re dynoed today, as I had a problem still with over boosting. They reduced the boost back to 18ib max played with the fuel mix and low and behold I now have 119rwkw. I am stoked. What is the factory max set for the turbo boost?

97_gq_lwb
26th July 2012, 08:59 PM
Something funny going on 36kw to 119kw wtf is he doing the dyno run in 4th gear every time and what sort of fuel mixtures and egt's are you getting.
Do you have an egt gauge fitted i would be concerned that the next time you load it up and hit a hill you might not make it to the other side.

MudRunnerTD
26th July 2012, 09:10 PM
Yes it's very Odd to say the least! Why did he not get 119 last week? Magic maybe? Did he have a bad hair day last week?

Sorry to hang crap but it's very Odd??

Steve4wdin
26th July 2012, 10:02 PM
No one is hanging crap!!! That is the idea of a forum. To discuss issues we all have in common. I don`t yet have any guages but you lot are fast talking me into them. Stop scarring me or I won`t tell any more secrets. lol. I am not sure why they just went for higher boost then tuning with the module. I guess the differance is last week I dropped the car off, today I stood there while they did there thing. Go figure. I hope I do get up and over the next hill.I have the dyno print outs and today they ran the car 10 times. My scanner is not working or I would put up the results.

97_gq_lwb
26th July 2012, 10:25 PM
Not trying to scare you just that with all of these varying results it would be hard for me personally to have faith that it is right.
To be safe i would have an egt fitted as over fueling will give you more power and also create more heat under loads wich exceed that of the dyno.
And will cause premature engine failure.

MudRunnerTD
27th July 2012, 01:57 AM
As 97 states your EGTs have the possibility of climbing beyond what ol mate has set on the dyno. They run a load for 20 seconds or so and say that it did not spike so it wont!!! Put a Pyro on it and then go find that really really long steady hill we all have down the road that takes 5 or 6 minutes to climb and see what your Pyro thinks of that ;)

Steve there are plenty of Tuners that will tell you to trust their tune and no gauge is needed but in the real World the Hills are bigger and the Climbs are longer than they can simulate. Understanding what your engine is doing is a very big eye opener and will give you great insight.

The mixed and extreme results that the tuner has got over the last few weeks are unusual and in my opinion Inconsistent with your expectation of your car. Driving in with 35rwkws and 2 weeks later driving out with 120rwkws is Insane and absurd. Mathematically Illogical. I really would like to see your printouts when you can mate.

So how did they explain how "Bad" their Tune was from last week given that they got another 25rwkws today over the result from last week?

Cheers MR

threedogs
27th July 2012, 07:24 PM
Did you ever take it back to Nissan or just rely on these people to fix it, sounded like it may have been a warranty issue.
I still dont get it, I must be missing something

Steve4wdin
28th July 2012, 09:01 PM
I afraid I`m missing some thing, however, My last car "navara" I had problems with the diff. I found the problem as I am a qualified tradesman and I got told I had no right to touch the car and warranty was void. so Not keen to get nissan involved.Dealers suk I have very little time for there crap. I just posted this for a bit of feed back.

dsmith
31st July 2012, 10:02 PM
It should be said that a one off dyno figure really isn't the point of a dyno. The overall figure spat out on the dyno sheet is a result of many variables including the settings and even make of the dyno. It is quite common for different brand dynos to produce different figures on the same vehicle. If you looked closely at the two graphs produced by the two different dynos they should show similar parts of the power/torque curve such as if there is a spike/dip in power at a certain point.

What a dyno is best used for is as a tuning tool or comparison of before and after mods. Be in with EGT or Air/Fuel ratios. The are also great for tracking the effect of mods such as adding an exhaust.

I recall back when I was younger and had a turbo 4cly petrol car. I installed a boost tap and wound the boost up until it hit the electronic cut out (the ecu detects too much boost and goes into protection mode) and then backed it off slighty. Plenty of on-road testing in all weather (hot/cold) proved that it was reliable at that boost level. One day I decided to take it along to a dyno day at a local performance shop. They were running a Dyno Dynamics dyno. The dyno operator can set the 'ramp rate' on the dyno to simulate real world conditions such as drag, friction ect. My understanding is that it places some resistance on the rollers or something like that which in turn has the effect of placing load on the engine. Well when my car went on the dyno it kept hitting the boost cut until I eventually wound the boost back down to factory level.

What this means is that the operator had set the ramp rate to something that was not represenative of real world road conditions resulting in my engine producing too much boost due to the different loads on the engine. In the end I got a reading of 88kw at the wheels. At the time I also ran it down at the local drag way and got a time of 14.8sec. Obviously the dyno wasn't representative of the real world and there was nothing wrong with the car.