its just engine fumes gone back to
solids again and the most i have
measured is 60ml over a 3,4 month
period

18319 18320

18321 THIS WORKS FOR ME,AND IS EASY TO GET AT

macca
23rd July 2012, 02:56 PM
Thats an easy way around the problem of draining the oil, nice job Roofy.

Cheers Macca

threedogs
23rd July 2012, 03:00 PM
Nice one Roofy, I'll put a Pic of mine up later doesen't even look like catching any oil and its been 4 months or so

White Elephant
23rd July 2012, 03:21 PM
Hi fellas
have noticed of late that a lot
of guys asking where to run there
drain line from the provent200
some run the oil back into the sump

i run mine to under the body with a
tap attached and drain it this way
its usually black and smells burnt

period

THIS WORKS FOR ME,AND IS EASY TO GET AT

Thanks mate. It seems like this is what most would go for, I really did want to run mine back into the sump, just for oil consumption purposes, but if it's only minimal as you say, I might just go with this option. If I find that there is a substantial amount of oil, I might re investigate returning to the sump.

Bob
23rd July 2012, 03:41 PM
Thanks mate. It seems like this is what most would go for, I really did want to run mine back into the sump, just for oil consumption purposes, but if it's only minimal as you say, I might just go with this option. If I find that there is a substantial amount of oil, I might re investigate returning to the sump.

I really dont know but would think that the Oil in the Catch Can would not be suitable to be returned to the Sump. As Roofy says smells burnt

White Elephant
23rd July 2012, 04:04 PM
I really dont know but would think that the Oil in the Catch Can would not be suitable to be returned to the Sump. As Roofy says smells burnt

Considering that it is only vapour coming from the rocker casing at the top of the motor (that's where the PCV is located) I can't see why it would smell burnt unless the oil was really dirty and hadn't been changed for a while? Not too sure really, but if it's good enough to feed that vapour back into the inlet, it should be okay to drop back into the sump. My 2 cents anyway. :)

Bob
23rd July 2012, 04:05 PM
Considering that it is only vapour coming from the rocker casing at the top of the motor (that's where the PCV is located) I can't see why it would smell burnt unless the oil was really dirty and hadn't been changed for a while? Not too sure really, but if it's good enough to feed that vapour back into the inlet, it should be okay to drop back into the sump. My 2 cents anyway. :)

Yeah as I said I dont really know. Would be interesting to see what others think.

Steveo_the_Devo
23rd July 2012, 04:34 PM
I get a lot LOT more than 60ml every few months. At least double that and then some. Wondering if I've missed something on the set up. I noticed there was no restrictor in my original line so maybe that is it?

Sir Roofy
23rd July 2012, 06:08 PM
as i said some put it back into the sump,think chaz does,but why would you want to put dirty oil with diesel fumes
back through your motor,the 3ls are sensitive enough with out jeapodising it further
my set up is the rocker cover pipe goes to the top of the provent with a readucer placed in the hose
these fumes go through the filter stopping any solids going back to the pvc then through the turbo
ive posted once before that the M.A.F WAS BONE DRY and clean after that period of time as mentioned above

cheers roofy

Sir Roofy
23rd July 2012, 06:14 PM
I get a lot LOT more than 60ml every few months. At least double that and then some. Wondering if I've missed something on the set up. I noticed there was no restrictor in my original line so maybe that is it?

maybe thats why im not sure,but ive got the restictor in mine
i read somewhere that they put one in for a reason SO why not use it but if you havent one then
your not to know put one in and see if it makes a difference ,then let us know

megatexture
23rd July 2012, 06:58 PM
Hi fellas
have noticed of late that a lot
of guys asking where to run there
drain line from the provent200
some run the oil back into the sump

i run mine to under the body with a
tap attached and drain it this way
its usually black and smells burnt

period

THIS WORKS FOR ME,AND IS EASY TO GET AT

x 2 on that ive done the same though my tap is on the catch can and hose runs down to empty it easly without removing it i wouldnt want the crud going back in either.

White Elephant
23rd July 2012, 07:30 PM
Interesting to see the differeing opinions. I am fitting mine to a 95 GQ RD28T just so we're all clear. I have noticed oil on the inlet side of the turbo(not turbo seal because it has not long been rebuilt) So the only place it can be coming from is the breather.

Sir Roofy
23rd July 2012, 08:35 PM
Interesting to see the differeing opinions. I am fitting mine to a 95 GQ RD28T just so we're all clear. I have noticed oil on the inlet side of the turbo(not turbo seal because it has not long been rebuilt) So the only place it can be coming from is the breather.

fingers crossed this will fix the oil problem and you,l notice your engine will run free,er

hope you get back to us after you,ve done it

mudski
23rd July 2012, 11:08 PM
I just ended up running mine straight down below the Provent and shoved a half inch bolt in it with a hose clamp on it. That looks like too much work Roofy. :D

Sir Roofy
24th July 2012, 09:43 AM
I just ended up running mine straight down below the Provent and shoved a half inch bolt in it with a hose clamp on it. That looks like too much work Roofy. :D
have fun draining that when the time comes

teno45
24th July 2012, 10:02 AM
I think this might be another one of those things I'd like to do. Plan to do. But will be interesting to see if I ever get around to doing!

On another note. Does anyone ever actually change the filter? Or just drain the oil out?

Cheers, Teno.

Drew
24th July 2012, 10:23 AM
I didn't have a restrictor either. I get very little oil but collected a fair bit of water after the last oil change, drained that and now keeping an eye on it all to see if that's normal or not.

Oh and nice job roofy

Sir Roofy
24th July 2012, 10:34 AM
i think this might be another one of those things i'd like to do. Plan to do. But will be interesting to see if i ever get around to doing!

On another note. Does anyone ever actually change the filter? Or just drain the oil out?

Cheers, teno.

have,nt changed filter as yet but think if it got blocked just a rinse in kero
would be enough

Sir Roofy
24th July 2012, 10:39 AM
i didn't have a restrictor either. I get very little oil but collected a fair bit of water after the last oil change, drained that and now keeping an eye on it all to see if that's normal or not.

Oh and nice job roofy

water ? Was the top screwd on properly ?anydeep crossings lately
mmm condensation from the rocker cover could be head gasket

White Elephant
24th July 2012, 11:56 AM
have,nt changed filter as yet but think if it got blocked just a rinse in kero
would be enough

Sounds like a good plan mate, hadn't thought of a rinse with Kero. THe replacement filters are about $80 I think. But hey, if you can save $80 with a rinse in some clean kero, that would be the way to go!

Sir Roofy
24th July 2012, 05:36 PM
Sounds like a good plan mate, hadn't thought of a rinse with Kero. THe replacement filters are about $80 I think. But hey, if you can save $80 with a rinse in some clean kero, that would be the way to go!

totally agree with you there

mudski
24th July 2012, 08:42 PM
Meh! Unscrew the hose clamp, then remove bolt and drain oil. All done before I've even finished a durrie.

Sir Roofy
24th July 2012, 08:46 PM
Meh! Unscrew the hose clamp, then remove bolt and drain oil. All done before I've even finished a durrie.

mine lol just turn the tap no tools required no dirty hands lol