PDA

View Full Version : 3.0L Smokey Exhaust. How bad and how much? Video..

scotty83
21st July 2012, 07:57 PM
Have a few videos of the exhaust at startup. Don't know if it does it while I drive. Running 5W/40 Penrite Oil. Previously used 15W/40 until the last two changes.

http://youtu.be/3giKLCff4TY

http://youtu.be/hJ0_P-6Uwol

I am thinking it is prob seals or something like that. Any suggestions?

scotty83
22nd July 2012, 07:11 PM
Anyone? Bump

threedogs
22nd July 2012, 07:52 PM
Certainly doesn't look right, mine only has very small puff at start up, and again if I floor it. Nothing like that.

boots
22nd July 2012, 08:20 PM
Reckon its the grade of oil . Go back to 15W40 . JMO .

bazzad
22nd July 2012, 09:24 PM
Just looking at the smoke, the blue suggest oil burning but then it clears after start up. Valve stem seals was my first thought but then is it the front seal in the turbo. Not really keen on these low viscosity oils in diesels. I would go back to at least a 15w40 and see if it changes.
cheers bazzad

scotty83
22nd July 2012, 09:30 PM
Sounds like it is back to the thicker oil. Only changed as I had heard the turbo didn't get enough lubrication with the thicker oils. Will change and see. Thanks all and thoughts still welcome.

boots
22nd July 2012, 09:45 PM
Curious to know if your catch can has been catching more or less oil than usual ? with the different grade oil ?

scotty83
23rd July 2012, 09:19 AM
Curious to know if your catch can has been catching more or less oil than usual ? with the different grade oil ?
It appears to be a lot more. Was thinking that myself the other day, and i am empting it a lot more often.

Jamesandlizk
16th August 2012, 02:29 PM
So how'd you go Scott did you find the problem? Having similar issues. Bit more smoke then your though..

rkinsey
16th August 2012, 02:40 PM
Hi Scotty,

I changed my air filter and this made a remarkable change to the power and exahst output. However, I still have a smokey exhaust at startup and is progressivley getting worse. This is due to the glow plugs not working properly (currently 4 of the six are dead) and it takes a couple of goes to fire the engine up so there is an excess build up of fuel unburnt in the chamber and this is causing the great clouds of smoke I produce in the mornings. Yes I have the glow plugs on order but it has taken a while to get three little spacers for my glow plugs which I had to get from QLD.

Cheers,

Rob

Jamesandlizk
16th August 2012, 03:21 PM
So is your smoke mostly white or black?
I have black on start up which changes to white, wondering if this might be the same issue.

rkinsey
16th August 2012, 03:42 PM
So is your smoke mostly white or black?
I have black on start up which changes to white, wondering if this might be the same issue.

Hi James,

Mostly White/Blue for me. Once I get the glow plugs sorted out I will let you know how I go.

In the mean time, test your glowplugs. This is a simple task. Get yourself a simple circuit tester (Mines a pen like unit with a light in it and a cable coming out of the top) disconnect the cables and power rail from all glow plugs and then connect one end of the circuit tester to the positive terminal of your battery then touch the other end of the circuit tester to the top of each glow plug. The light in the circuit tester should light up each time you touch the top of a glow plug. If it doesnt, that glow plug is dead. Replace the dead glow plugs.

Cheers,

Rob