PDA

View Full Version : Pitman arm removal tool! Help!!

BigMav
21st July 2012, 06:04 PM
Having some real problems getting the damn pitman arm off my steering box. Went and bought a stanley branded pitman arm puller from supercheap but the opening is too small to fit around the shaft. The opening needs to be bigger than 33mm, anyone got something that is suitable they don't mind lending me for a few minutes on Nth side of brissy? I have now removed the box so can take the box wherever. It might even be an idea to take it to a workshop I guess but then it would have beaten me! I have tried using my 4" 3 prong puller too but I can't get it to hold properly, shes on there real tight.

Bigrig
21st July 2012, 06:42 PM
After you've undone the big but mate, it'll take some 'love taps' to remove it off the tapered knuckle ...

Any photos of what you're having a drama with??

BigMav
21st July 2012, 06:53 PM
Yeah this is it here, the pitman arm won't come off the shaft with a hammer though. Or I just don't have a big enough hammer. For anyone who doesn't know the pitman arm is the bit at the bottom next to the screwdriver.

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z466/jonb80/Maverick%20Build%20Photos/IMG_5136.jpg?t=1342858765

BigMav
21st July 2012, 06:57 PM
This is the exact tool I originally tried using while the box was still mounted to the car, I then pulled the draglink end off to remove it from the car because I thought I might have better access to it to mount it in a vice and use my 3 prong puller, no such luck.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/07/35.jpg

Morton
21st July 2012, 08:50 PM
try hitting both sides with a hammer at the same time like you do with a tierod end, hit it where it is fitted on, I am not familiar with this but assume it is pressed in by the nut once in place like a tierod, someone please correct me if I am wrong as I have not replaced one to date, the idea is to shock it apart to break the metal on metal hold, this method works a treat on tierods everytime

DISREGARD THIS POST BIGMAV, it wont help much, Newby was on the money below

nissannewby
21st July 2012, 09:45 PM
It is on a spline lots of penetrant or a small amount of heat should help give it a few solid whacks around where it goes on the shaft then try and knock it off. I know you have just paid money for it but cut your tool in half and use it as 2 wedges.

Morton
21st July 2012, 10:02 PM
thanks Newby, you have helped me out aswell, learn something every day they say

BigMav
21st July 2012, 10:02 PM
Nah I took the tool back mate because it was too small for the job. One of the advantages of supercheap they don't give a toss about the return policy. lol. I have it soaking in some crc at the moment so will give it another crack in the morning, I also have some of this stuff

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/07/36.jpg

so that might be worth a shot too. I was a bit concerned about really going to town on it with the hammer, can I break anything inside doing that? If all else fails I'll get some heat onto it. Is there anything that can be damaged with the heat? Not too worried about the seals as I have a kit to put through it obviously. Thanks for the tips guys.

nissannewby
21st July 2012, 10:05 PM
Only really the seal can be damaged by heat. Have you got any flat bar lying around?

BigMav
21st July 2012, 11:07 PM
I've got some 4-5mm rhs sitting around that can be cut up into flat bar, what do you have in mind?

BigMav
22nd July 2012, 04:19 PM
Woohoo managed to get the bloody thing off! I hit it with the freeze and release stuff first. Then used the mapp gas blow torch, then several blows with a large hammer, then some more heat and finally the 3 prong puller and it came free. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2

the ferret
22nd July 2012, 06:21 PM
Sounds like a joke, but soak it overnight in Coca Cola.
Spraying freeze on the pitman arm will make it tighter, you need to only freeze the shaft.
Try some firm tapping around the pitman arm where it fits on, I doubt if the shaft is tapered.
If you bash wedges into it, you may damage the seals' fitting area.
The correct puller would make easy work of it
One very important thing to do before you take it off, and that is to mark it exactly where it sits on the spline..
One spline out and you will have trouble with the steering wheel position.
Cheers, the ferret

EDIT.
Ha ha, glad you got it off, hope you marked it??

Robo
22nd July 2012, 11:16 PM
Mine came off with the exact tool you returned I simply filed a little to make opening wider.
Also used spray also shown.
a few squirts and wait 1/2 hr for stable temp return and lube penetration apply again and wait again if you need.
use puller and it should come off ok,
if not try
Load up some pressure on arm and "love" tap nut of puller.
The taps gives a shock-- release, load, release, load affect and rattles arm loose, so to speak.
as Ferret mentioned about spline, Mine had 1 spline larger so it only went on 1 way.
cheers
should read all thread first ooooh well.
still works though.

BigMav
23rd July 2012, 08:45 AM
LOL, nah its all good mate plenty of tips here now for someone wanting to do the same thing.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2