PDA

View Full Version : HID driving lights

bushytas
21st July 2012, 05:43 PM
HI all

Im looking at buying some hid euro beam lights for the gu patrol.

My question is has anyone brought the cheap type hids off ebay e.g http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/55W-2-PCS-7-HID-XENON-DRIVING-SPOTLIGHTS-OFF-ROAD-Lights-/230827909996?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35be6a636c

Im thinking of running 3, 7 inch and removing my 220 roo lites Is this a good or bad idea

Ronin
21st July 2012, 05:53 PM
I saw a thread somewhere where the HID lights had malfunctioned and cought fire doing bit of damage to the car. Not discouraging you but if you decide to get it done Safety+Quality dosen't equal to cheap.

Got the link if you want, PM me.

bushytas
21st July 2012, 06:12 PM
I saw a thread somewhere where the HID lights had malfunctioned and cought fire doing bit of damage to the car. Not discouraging you but if you decide to get it done Safety+Quality dosen't equal to cheap.

Got the link if you want, PM me.

WOW i am very interested in the link.

Im guessing the manufacturers warranty wouldnt cover you're car burning to the ground

threedogs
21st July 2012, 06:37 PM
I've run them they are fine exactely like Piranha Cats, go the 9" they dont have covers and do shatter, I made lexen replacement for mine

Bigrig
21st July 2012, 06:39 PM
Murray and Dave from Torq4x4 are doing 35w, 55w and 75w HID's that a bunch from the forum saw in action last week - awesome lights that smash Lightforce, etc HID's, and come with a 2 year warranty .... they are also about half the price of the other offerings and are exclusive in Australia (I.e. not the usual suspects on eBay).

threedogs
21st July 2012, 06:50 PM
75watt HID what an amazing light, taking off my 20" light bar as I miss the peretration and putting my 75 watters back on, 2. year warranty sounds good. IMO think Light Force are falling a bit behind especially with whats available on the market today. Might not need spread beam.

Ronin
21st July 2012, 07:05 PM
Check your PM bushytas.

you can always put in some Philips X-treme Vision globes. I got mine from these guys http://www.powerbulbs.com/au/product/philips-xtreme-vision-h4-car-headlight-bulbs

Question for others, does the Patrol GU8 use the H4 fittng ?

Blacklotusdog
17th August 2012, 09:32 AM
Yes GU8 uses H4, i put a pair of Micks HID projectors in my GU8, they are the goods.

Dmwlking
19th August 2012, 09:21 AM
i got cheap hid lights kits of ebay . they are about 4 years old and not problem with them. Ijust coverted the old spott liights to hid. I all so got them in my normal driving lights.

cokeholic
19th August 2012, 09:35 AM
Ive shoved 75/90 watt hid's into my headlights aimed em down a bit and love em only bummer is there is a 5 sec delay when turning em on till they are real bright...on high beam my lightforce hit the road way before the hid's end just gotta love modern gadgets

kond
20th August 2012, 06:39 PM
Go with the hid headlights mate I love mine

happygu
20th August 2012, 07:22 PM
My brother in law just removed his HID's from his headlights and binned them....he got sick of them not always working correctly, and has installed brighter H4 globes instead. Good light penetration, instant on, and reliable.

Much happier now.

97_gq_lwb
20th August 2012, 07:27 PM
They are so irritating when someone behind you has them it makes me want to jump on the brakes and let them eat towball.
a mate has them they are bright and he always gets flashed at like he has his high beam on.

97_gq_lwb
20th August 2012, 07:28 PM
They are so irritating when someone behind you has them it makes me want to jump on the brakes and let them eat towball.
a mate has them they are bright and he always gets flashed at like he has his high beam on.

fezz
21st August 2012, 05:29 PM
On the subject, has anyone tried these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160633555368?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

mick.
22nd August 2012, 10:02 AM
a mate has them they are bright and he always gets flashed at like he has his high beam on.Thats what happens when people don't do it correctly. HID bulbs are designed to go in HID projectors that project the light and aim it correctly. Throwing HIDs in a reflector without the projector cant be aimed no matter how hard you try.

My brother in law just removed his HID's from his headlights and binned them....he got sick of them not always working correctly, and has installed brighter H4 globes instead. Good light penetration, instant on, and reliable.

Much happier now.Thats what happens when you buy chinese ballasts and bulbs from ebay. The only difference between them is the packaging and unless you know what your looking for you can end up with rubbish. There are good kits available but a lot of those are copied making it harder to tell the difference. Like anything you get what you pay for and good quality bulbs and ballasts will last for years. I only use Hylux ballasts and I've never had one fail plus I only use Osram D2S bulbs personly but there are other cheaper bulbs in D2S that will last just as long.

Cheers Mick.

Ronin
22nd August 2012, 11:05 AM
is it true that the bulbs take about 5 seconds to come to full brightness ?

patch697
22nd August 2012, 11:27 AM
is it true that the bulbs take about 5 seconds to come to full brightness ?

Yes mate they do but its a very small price to pay for the benefits.

I run 100W 6000K HID's in Super Oscers & they are like the finger of God.

mick.
22nd August 2012, 12:56 PM
is it true that the bulbs take about 5 seconds to come to full brightness ?That depends on how much you want to spend on ballasts. Most ballasts take up to 5 seconds to get to full brightness but even when warming up they leave the best of Halogens for dead. Thats still pretty quick though and about the same time it takes for your engine to get oil pressure. lol

Ballasts such as Denso and Matsushita which come out from factory in Toyota, Lexus, Nissan, Merc etc by law have to get the bulb up to full brightness within a couple of seconds but there not waterproof as there designed to be internally mounted in the light. Ballasts that are super fast also blow bulbs more often then ones that take a little time to warm up.

Cheers Mick.