PDA

View Full Version : GUIV Di 3.0 Lack of Power Under Load

holden4th
21st July 2012, 10:44 AM
On my trip back from Perth a few weeks ago I had an issue going uphill trying to pass a car towing a trailer where I couldn't get the power to accelerate and had to pull out of the manoeuvre. In trying to pass my engine warning light came on. I stopped at the top of the hill and then turned the engine off. A restart and the light was gone. This happened a few more times until I refilled the truck and the problem seemed to vanish. I put this down to bad fuel and after applying a fuel cleaner it seemed that eveything was OK.

The problem came back with a vengeance last week. I was towing a trailer loaded with 110 camp stretchers up the east side of the Toowoomba Range and the best speed I could get was about 60kmh. The truck felt very underpowered. On Thursday I experienced similar issues towing the trailer through hilly sections of the Bruce Hwy and even on the flat it just didn't feel right. If I had been towing a van I don't think the truck would have got up the hill

This blows my bad fuel theory out of the water. If you add in the fact that one of the issues going up the Toowoomba hill was the auto box changing from 3rd down to 4th as soon as I applied power and a rather grumbly 4th gear at around 80 -90 kmh while applying a bit of throttle I am definitely seeking a different solution.

The first question I ask - is it the MAF? This makes sense to me - the MAF sensor sending the wrong info thereby affecting fuel injection and gear change. My first two gears do change rather abruptly at lower revs and apparently this is also a sign of a MAF sensor on its way out.

Any other ideas before I fork out for a new MAF? I suspect that this one has done the full 300,000ks on the odo. I am happy to reply with any other symptoms that occur to you but haven't occurred to me.

Where (apart from Nissan) can I source a genuine Nissan or Bosch MAF sensor on the Gold Coast.

threedogs
21st July 2012, 11:18 AM
Sounds like it may be water in the fuel, you colud clean MAF with sensor cleaner, leave battery disconnected for a while to re set if any small faults

teleman
25th July 2012, 06:37 PM
Check the turbo sensor as well. My MAF and turbo chip both went at the same time. I have had similar issues with engine light coming on.
My mechanic tells me that the light can come on if the ecu doesnt add up the air/fuel mix correctly. ie: check the fuel filter and delivery systems like hoses and stuff.

let us know.