PDA

View Full Version : Gu Patrol Headlights

Linds88
20th July 2012, 10:22 AM
Gday,
Just curious as to whether gu patrols have headlight relays as i understand gqs do not. having dramas with my highbeam not working. low beam works fine but when flicked forward to high beam it cuts out. the only way to bring on highbeam/spotlights is by pulling the stalk about halfway towards the steering wheel with the low beam on. if anyone has any ideas please let me know. cheers

threedogs
20th July 2012, 02:14 PM
Hi sounds like its in the stalk, may just need a sqirt

Linds88
20th July 2012, 03:21 PM
I have tried swapping the stalk with one off another gu and still had same problem. im going to try tracing the circuit out a little this weekend. hopefully yields some success. thanks

Sprattman
21st July 2012, 12:05 AM
Hi linds. Mate you have me hooked on this prob. Ive been thinkn it over since i saw you yesterday arvo. i called into the dealership and asked a mate to photocopy the wiring circuit diagram from the manual for me. He was going to call me back to come and get it this arvo but i guess he forgot. When are you going to look at it? Sat or Sun? i might be able to give you a hand if we are lucky.

Linds88
21st July 2012, 07:55 AM
hey mate prolly the sarvo after 3 at prestos. i got a manual now but also if you got that diagram couldnt hurt. ill grab ya number off presto and give you a call

Yendor
21st July 2012, 08:17 AM
Here's the headlight wiring diagram. (Not sure of your year model, but it should be correct).

It still sounds like a headlight dipper switch problem. If by pulling the stalk towards you the high beam comes on, this tells you the wiring and bulbs are ok.

Linds88
21st July 2012, 10:50 AM
Thanks yendor, ill check over that diagram on my car and see if i cant nut it out. cheers

Sprattman
22nd July 2012, 09:24 PM
Hey Linds, don't it always go that way. it is always something stupid. lol leason learned

Linds88
23rd July 2012, 10:21 AM
haha ya dead right. definately a lesson learnt for any future issues. thanks for your help

Winnie
23rd July 2012, 10:26 AM
C'mon, what was the problem?

Linds88
23rd July 2012, 05:50 PM
well after tracing the entire circuit finding no problems and checking all contacts on the stalk found the rhs headlight fuse to be making poor connection in its holder and not allowing high beam to work but low beam was still working. such a simple thing overlooked. a good lesson learnt for the future but.

Sprattman
24th July 2012, 10:45 PM
Well guys, here is one for the ages. I hope you can all follow my explanation. Here goes...
Checked fuse, ok. Must be switch, removed and swapped with another good one off another vehicle, same problem no change. I guess it could be relay, Damn cant find a relay, need a wiring diagram to see if there is a relay. Thanks a tonne to Yendor for the diagrams. No relay in headlight wiring. oh well lets pull the switch apart and clean the contacts anyway and test switch function with multimeter, tested all good. OK wiring diagram says power wire in is the RED wire, tested for power with switch still plugged in, 12v, unplugged switch no power. shit back feed through switch. must be break in wire. test resistance of circuit from fuse to switch, tested good 0.02 ohms. plugged all back together and put fuse back in, ALL WORKS NOW. SHIT!!!!
Morral of story, poor connection on switch side of fuse. that was all. just a poor conection. removing and refitting the fuse was all it took to break the corrosion or dirt on the terminal and give a connection.
I hope that wasnt too painful to read and everyone can learn from our frustrations.
Happy Trolling

Sprattman
24th July 2012, 10:48 PM
opps sorry i didnt see that lindsay had already given an explanation. oh well the exta detail tell a funny story.