PDA

View Full Version : anyone know what this dash light means? (GQ)

adimw
20th July 2012, 09:57 AM
Owned my Safari for a few weeks, first time I've heard a chime, and I have a light on the dash that blinks before I start the engine.

top middle light is the one that blinks
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/07/27.jpg

AB
20th July 2012, 10:19 AM
I can't remember what that one is. What is the symbol?

Can you take another photo to show what the symbol is for the middle one?

rkinsey
20th July 2012, 12:46 PM
Now that you mention it im not sure what that light is. When I get home from work I will have a look at the manual and post what it says tonight.

That is if one of the gurus on this forum doesnt beat me to it......

By the way, say G'day in the Intros section and tell us a bit about yourself and your Troll. Welcome to the forums!

Cheers,

Rob

97_gq_lwb
20th July 2012, 01:15 PM
I have a cluster here it has no symbol for that one on it but according to the back of it a/t oil

johno90
21st July 2012, 08:27 AM
a/t oil temp warning i have one in my auto diesel gq

adimw
21st July 2012, 12:21 PM
Yeah - I've seen a Auto saffa, it blinks 10 times then off when key is in ON position. Mines a manual, and doesn't have writing on the light like most peoples. Cheers

Yendor
22nd July 2012, 04:40 PM
I think some Safari models had a "don't forget to put your seat belt on" warning light and chime, maybe it's for that.

Yendor
22nd July 2012, 04:49 PM
oh, is your engine running in that photo? or just the ignition on? either way you have some messed up gauges and possibly an alternator fault.

97_gq_lwb
22nd July 2012, 05:23 PM
lol look where it is idling

NissanGQ4.2
22nd July 2012, 06:00 PM
From the Nissan Owners Manual: Automatic transmission oil temperature warning light, this light comes on when the automatic transmission oil temperature is too high. If the light comes on while driving, reduce the vehicle speed as soon as safely possible until the light turns off.

Continued vehicle operation when the A/T oil temperature warning light is on may damage the automatic transmission.

As far as I'm aware, the light will come on with ignition and go out when running

Ade
22nd July 2012, 06:04 PM
Yup..ATF temp warning light on an auto patrol. Maybe your cluster were from an auto patrol..

NissanGQ4.2
22nd July 2012, 06:16 PM
I would say your got an electrical prob, considering yours is manual

Yendor
22nd July 2012, 06:42 PM
The ATF temp doesn't have a warning chime.

kiwijase
23rd July 2012, 10:13 AM
^^^ thats what i thought Rodney

NissanGQ4.2
23rd July 2012, 04:41 PM
The ATF temp doesn't have a warning chime.

Certainly doesn't, your the only one that said "I think some Safari models had a "don't forget to put your seat belt on" warning light and chime, maybe it's for that."

Maybe you are right Rodney, one would think if the chime and light were related the blinking light would have a pic of a seatbelt

The seatbelt warning light on my 92 GQ is located in the tachometer and does not have a chime

adimw, do you have a seatbelt warning light that flashes at the same time as the chime?

adimw
24th July 2012, 07:42 AM
Don't think I have a seatbelt reminder, and on the printed material of GQ dash clusters I have it only shows seatbelt sign on the left side of the cluster. Meh, its stopped chiming and I'm ignoring the flashing light, it still takes me everywhere I point it and runs as normal bar that light.

97_gq_lwb
24th July 2012, 10:27 AM
Take the bulb out in the back of the cluster.
Maybe someone has tapped into it for some other use i was going to set mine up to my egt gauge using one of the unused warning lamps in the cluster.

johno90
24th July 2012, 11:49 AM
Correct the light should turn off as soon as the engine is running, my auto uses flash codes through the power hold auto switch. The temp light has never flashed on me.

Robo
28th July 2012, 12:59 PM
was just looking at manual for ya.
Alarm is wired into speedo metre circute.
Also mentions A-Trans oil temp light.
My GTR has an factory alarm similar 105kph.
believe Japan has 105kph limit.
just simply removed its earth connection.
safari is middle eastern? so ask /post the ? for one of the members over there to answer, about alarm!!

taslucas
28th July 2012, 02:57 PM
here is a picture of mine. All these lights come on when ignition is turned on but turn off as soon as engine is running. Mine is an auto and you can clearly see the words "A/T OIL TEMP". I have no chime sounding any time. Mine is a 1991 GQ Wagon (Ti model i think)

Robo
28th July 2012, 08:34 PM
Correct the light should turn off as soon as the engine is running, my auto uses flash codes through the power hold auto switch. The temp light has never flashed on me.

I hate to say it but, gen sender units leave alot to be desired.
you may be better off getting something aftermarket and not put to much trust in a light.
dont shoot the messenger.

taslucas
28th July 2012, 08:48 PM
Yeah your spot on robo, the oil sender in tb42's are notorious for failing. But flash codes are a tcu thing not sender related. Its a primitive way of seeing any fault codes (before you were able to plug a diagnostic device in)

NissanGQ4.2
28th July 2012, 08:54 PM
Very true Robo, just like a water temp gauge that doesn't tell you what the water temp is *L*

Clunk
28th July 2012, 09:05 PM
Very true Robo, just like a water temp gauge that doesn't tell you what the water temp is *L*

Well what more than, cold, hot and oooops you've cooked your engine do ya need lol

taslucas
28th July 2012, 09:14 PM

Well what more than, cold, hot and oooops you've cooked your engine do ya need lol

Mine works fine??

NissanGQ4.2
28th July 2012, 09:59 PM
I can tell you, yours is a Type A Combination Meter

Clunk
28th July 2012, 10:02 PM
Mine works fine??

Eggsackery!!!!!

taslucas
28th July 2012, 10:07 PM
I can tell you, yours is a Type A Combination Meter

what that mean??

NissanGQ4.2
28th July 2012, 10:12 PM
what that mean??

There a 3 different types of Dash Clusters ( Combination Meters ) what ever you want 2 call them

Robo
28th July 2012, 11:02 PM
Mine works fine??

Yeah thats the thing if you hook up a aftermarket sender and gauge you may well see a different picture not to say bad, but fluctuating readings, more real time, not just a steady needle.
In short, This was advice given to me by World Travelled Engine Builder.
cheers

Robo
28th July 2012, 11:07 PM
There a 3 different types of Dash Clusters ( Combination Meters ) what ever you want 2 call them

Yeah if I get my scanner hooked back up and get time I'll post schematics up.

CptClinac
1st August 2012, 08:31 AM
I read somewhere about an A/T light that blinks 10 times on power-on for diagnostic purposes. This may explain the flashing.

Dave

taslucas
1st August 2012, 09:02 AM
I read somewhere about an A/T light that blinks 10 times on power-on for diagnostic purposes. This may explain the flashing.

Dave

That's the power button that flashes. (orange light)

Tap, crackle, pop

97_gq_lwb
1st August 2012, 12:32 PM
If you look at the rpm in the pic it is no wonder the light is on.
Happens with all of them if they idle too low when fist started most of the lights will stay on as soon as you give it a rev or get the idle up though they should go out.
Provided the alternator is charing and the battery is good and their are no faults lol.
A lot of misdiagnosed faults are voltage related if not in the required volt range you can get all sorts of fault codes etc

taslucas
1st August 2012, 12:46 PM
Well spotted mate. I actually wondered if the tacho needle might have been sitting high when off.

Tap, crackle, pop

Rusco
3rd August 2012, 09:59 PM
Be carefull ignoring lights, my friend just siezed a motor as they didn't believe the oil could be low 2 hours after checking it? Learn the hard way...