PDA

View Full Version : My Locking Diff doesn't work :-(

alterastro
20th July 2012, 04:31 AM
Just been out playing and tried the rear diff properly for the first time and it doesn't work :frown:

Light just flashes on the dash. I'm guessing it's not been used much, if at all, as it doesn't look like its been off-road.

Can anyone suggest where/how I start looking for the problem?

Cheers guys

Nick

Bigrig
20th July 2012, 07:32 AM
If it hasn't been used, then it might well very be that it is seized inside the diff housing and just needs a 'tickle up' (pull apart, clean and new oils).

threedogs
20th July 2012, 09:08 AM
is it air operated?? if so you should be able to hear it and a loud phsst sound.

97_gq_lwb
20th July 2012, 09:11 AM
Aren't the factory lockers vacuum operated if it is a factory locker wouldn't you pull the hose off the diff and check for vacuum with the engine running when you switch it.

threedogs
20th July 2012, 09:13 AM
Dont know what 4x4 or locker yet

Clunk
20th July 2012, 09:59 AM
Dont know what 4x4 or locker yet

It's a UK spec gu shorty ;)

nissannewby
20th July 2012, 10:51 AM
The factory ones are vacuum operated. I also think there is a solenoid/relay in the system as well this could be a bit sticky also.

macca
20th July 2012, 01:58 PM
The factory ones are vacuum operated. I also think there is a solenoid/relay in the system as well this could be a bit sticky also.

You would hope its the solenoid as the diff is sealed and allways oiled. That is if no water has got in or a build up of gear sludge if the oil hasnt been changed regularly.

There was something here about using tranny oil or engine flush in a diff to give it a good clean out. Think it was put in 1000klm before dropping the oil.

Might help loosening components if they are stuck,

Good Luck with it.
Macca

alterastro
7th August 2012, 05:19 PM
Well there seems to be a good vacuum on both pipes. Have checked the oil and it's good.

Thing is, I've discovered if I remove the vacuum pipe and put it on and off a few times the locker will start working. But a bit later it stops working again. I've gone through this process several times now so I'm a bit stuck.

I can't figure out how to remove the actuator to give it a clean up. Can anyone tell me how?

Thanks

Nick