PDA

View Full Version : Have you had contamination in your diffs/gearbox, etc - Water in Diffs

AB
19th July 2012, 08:59 PM
Just curious to see if any members have actually had water in their diffs or gearboxes, transfers etc...

I don't have breathers (yes, I know...lol) and without sounding like a tough guy hero I have had my GQ in pretty much the deepest holes and crossings you can get without having an extended snorkel 1 metre over the roof.

Every single time I go through this deep I of course freak out about the possible contamination and check all the necessary components but to this day I have never found any water.

I'm not saying that the Patrols are fine to do this without breathers (although the location of the stock breathers are quite good compared to other's) but to date I have done a lot of stupid things and so far so good...So....Has anyone had contamination???

If so, what were you doing that caused this?

97_gq_lwb
19th July 2012, 09:06 PM
I have had mine in some deep water bonnet completely under still have water in the tail lights and side indicators etc and a water mark level half way on the front door speakers.
And still no sign of contamination i figure they must be doing their job.
But have been thinking about installing a diff breather up on the snorkel.

taslucas
19th July 2012, 09:09 PM
No one i know has ever found any. Im the only one out of 7-8 mates that has extended breathers.... thats an interesting one. No doubt the more hardcore drivers would find it more often?

89gqpatrol4x4
19th July 2012, 09:14 PM
when I had the front diff locker installed the mechanic said there were signs that water had been in there but not real bad, but my car is 23 years old!

AB
19th July 2012, 09:15 PM
I have had mine in some deep water bonnet completely under still have water in the tail lights and side indicators etc and a water mark level half way on the front door speakers.
And still no sign of contamination i figure they must be doing their job.
But have been thinking about installing a diff breather up on the snorkel.

A complete another story but I'm sick of cleaning the headlights out too. Ive sealed it all up but still gets in and stains the mirror's which has made my lights useless. Must seep in the actual globe compartment or the front seal somehow...

97_gq_lwb
19th July 2012, 09:40 PM
Mine had a h4 in one side wich got water in it and a sealed one on the drivers so i just swapped it out for a sealed never had an issue since.

Winnie
19th July 2012, 09:49 PM
A complete another story but I'm sick of cleaning the headlights out too. Ive sealed it all up but still gets in and stains the mirror's which has made my lights useless. Must seep in the actual globe compartment or the front seal somehow...

Buy some sealed lights ya donkey!!

Tappa tappa

AB
19th July 2012, 10:59 PM
Priorities are in other areas....LMAO. I'll get there one day!!!

taslucas
20th July 2012, 07:53 AM
Priorities are in other areas....LMAO. I'll get there one day!!!

too busy cleaning out and trying to seal your current lights lol.

I just got some semi sealed beams and phillips +100 globes. I havent installed yet but when i do i want to try to seal them. What have you tried AB? Just silicone around the rubber boot?

nissannewby
20th July 2012, 07:56 AM
I have never had water contamination via breathers I have had water getting in through the front hubs into the wheel bearings when no silastic was used when re installing the hubs but thats about it

AB
20th July 2012, 08:28 AM
too busy cleaning out and trying to seal your current lights lol.

I just got some semi sealed beams and phillips +100 globes. I havent installed yet but when i do i want to try to seal them. What have you tried AB? Just silicone around the rubber boot?

Hey mate, yeah just sealed the boot...

BearGUST
20th July 2012, 11:41 AM
I was going to fit extended breathers but put it down the priority list as the factory breathers seem like a pretty good setup. No water so far!

taslucas
20th July 2012, 12:55 PM
Very easy job to extend the front and transmission breathers. They join together near the passenger side engine mount. Just a matter of extending with a bit of old fuel line etc and putting a cheapo fuel filter on the end.

Tap, crackle, pop

Chris79
20th July 2012, 09:43 PM
I never bothered with mine either, Never had a problem.
Didnt mind a bit of mud either lol

Only ever did scheduled changes, never even checked lol

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/CHRISMAV_2007/th_08031405.jpg (http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/CHRISMAV_2007/?action=view&current=08031405.mp4)

04OFF
20th July 2012, 10:28 PM
After a water crossing ,you are supposed to remove a bolt from the lower king pin bearing cap on the front diff, it say's to do this in my factory owners manual.

My old bearings showed signs of water ingress in this same area, and i have had a small amount of water drip out upon removing a bolt, i don't enter water with very hot diffs, and i also have my diff breathers as high as the bonnet.