PDA

View Full Version : rope or wire?

89gqpatrol4x4
19th July 2012, 05:56 PM
Hi guy's, tax time and I finally have the money to buy a winch for the gq. I would like to know peoples thoughts on wire or rope wich is better and any thoughts on a particular winch brand good or bad.

oncedisturbed
19th July 2012, 06:13 PM
rope is generally far better than wire as it it doesn't crimp etc and is far lighter and stronger, downside to rope is how it is secured to the drum, you need to be carefull that the rope doesn't spin on the drum causing it to snap (just happened to mine)
cable is cheaper

89gqpatrol4x4
19th July 2012, 06:48 PM
rope is generally far better than wire as it it doesn't crimp etc and is far lighter and stronger, downside to rope is how it is secured to the drum, you need to be carefull that the rope doesn't spin on the drum causing it to snap (just happened to mine)
cable is cheaper

you can tie rope back together though can't you?

Winnie
19th July 2012, 06:55 PM
Yep that's correct. It floats in water too, but it's not so great for winching across sharp rocks.

threedogs
19th July 2012, 06:58 PM
Yes you can tie rope, doesn't like rocks. big saving in weight over your front end, I'll weigh it up tomorrow and let you know the difference. Would be 25-30kg compared to maybe 10kg tops approx. Also doesn't like heat from some winches, but there are sleeves for that. Rope for me 40mtrs for most winches

89gqpatrol4x4
19th July 2012, 07:01 PM
Has anyone snapped a wire cable or is it just poor maintenance and not replacing it when it is frayed that causes it to snap?

threedogs
19th July 2012, 07:06 PM
Poor maintenance, too easy to damage,too dangerous. Get on fleabay check out bestdealsdirect cheap dyneema all the time

89gqpatrol4x4
19th July 2012, 07:14 PM
thats what i'm worried about the danger factor with wire.

Bigrig
19th July 2012, 07:19 PM
Depends on how much you actually use it ... in my humble opinion anyway.

Wire is great for constant use over rocky style ground, and rope for muddy style terrain. All that said though, the reality is most of our winches sit idle for vast periods and I would suggest very few (if any) of us drag the wire out every now and then, even when not being used just to re-oil, clean rust formation on the underlying strands on the drum, etc, etc ...

The missus has wire and I have dyneema rope - considering most the time it's just another weight on the car, I'll go rope 9 times out of 10 ... The wire on hers is very average looking after a long period of no use.

Winnie
19th July 2012, 07:22 PM
Something else about the rope... you can get UV stabilised ropes but people say that keeping it sitting on the front of your fourby in the sun is not good for it?

Bigrig
19th July 2012, 07:26 PM
Something else about the rope... you can get UV stabilised ropes but people say that keeping it sitting on the front of your fourby in the sun is not good for it?

Heard the same mate - UV protected, but not outright impervious to it ... degrades the rope strength or something?? Which make sense I suppose ...

89gqpatrol4x4
19th July 2012, 07:28 PM
Depends on how much you actually use it ... in my humble opinion anyway.

Wire is great for constant use over rocky style ground, and rope for muddy style terrain. All that said though, the reality is most of our winches sit idle for vast periods and I would suggest very few (if any) of us drag the wire out every now and then, even when not being used just to re-oil, clean rust formation on the underlying strands on the drum, etc, etc ...

The missus has wire and I have dyneema rope - considering most the time it's just another weight on the car, I'll go rope 9 times out of 10 ... The wire on hers is very average looking after a long period of no use.

Thanks and nice write up in 4wd action too, nice truck!

healy
19th July 2012, 07:30 PM
Rope is the way to go

Bigrig
19th July 2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks and nice write up in 4wd action too, nice truck!

Thanks boss

robbo0001
19th July 2012, 08:50 PM
Yeah, my understanding is that constant sun exposure will fade and weaken the rope.
Might be bad in a top-mount set-up, but in a low-mount bar install it should be ok, its pretty well hidden under the control box/ barwork etc..thats just my opinion.
Most winch maufacturers (regardless of wire or rope) recommend pulling it out regularly and winding it on under load....keeps gears and seals lubricated.
Also means you can clean and inspect your wire/rope as needed....I want to do it every 6 weeks or so in the back yard, just for the hell of it, and to entertain the kids.

For the reduced weight, strength and ease of use....rope all the way for us.

Cheers

megatexture
19th July 2012, 09:13 PM
i pulled my rope out this week to clean as it was damn filthy to the drum from the boys weekend its surprising how much collects between the fibres, like all recovery equipment it needs to be cleaned and dried get the most of it.

but ill never go back to wire i know that much.

Chris79
20th July 2012, 10:06 PM
I am happy enough using wire, its not that difficult to handle and I just find that it seems more hardy that rope.
Btw mine got used very often so I was worried about tihe general wear and tear that can lead to failure of rope. Some of the terrain I drive could have lead to disaster if the rope was to snap.

If you play your cards right your not usually the person dragging it up the hill anyway lol.

04OFF
20th July 2012, 11:18 PM
Ask someone if you can fully un-spool and re-spool their wire winch cable to simulate a recovery situation, then do the same with a rope set up, the rope is just a absolute joy to work with compared to wire, i doubt most would choose wire afterwards !

You can also get a rope protector for use over rocks, logs etc if you need to.....

http://www.masterpull.com/item/RG300/

GQ TANK
24th July 2012, 08:45 PM
It comes down to $$ -what you can afford.

If you are suing wire you need to spool it on with any overlaps. If you cross over the wire this is where it gets damaged.

To spool hook the truck up to a tree, and winch in. Change direction to make the wire spool niclely

We had a club member cut a rope on rocky ground.

Also use a winch blanket on both.

Wire blanket in the middle
rope Blanket near the hook

When I done my week long 4wd course at work - they used rope - but the winchs are given a thashing every week.

dansedgli
30th July 2012, 08:00 PM
Get rope. Wire is a pain to handle and tiny little strands can stab your fingers which hurts a lot.