PDA

View Full Version : h.i.d 's make my stereo crackle!!!!

Boagie
19th July 2012, 01:24 PM
Hey guys,since i have put my h.i.d light's on,the radio makes a hissing sound.It makes it almost impossible to hear the radio.Is this normal? I went and saw the brother inlaw(who also just put some on his croozer and it does the same thing,but not as bad.Any ideas as to what this is ? and to be able to cure it??Any info greatly appreciated!!:1087:

Winnie
19th July 2012, 01:26 PM
All I can say is that no, it's not normal. Sounds like you've got some weird interference going on.

threedogs
19th July 2012, 01:27 PM
Re-check your connections, are they xenon or bi-xenon???

97_gq_lwb
19th July 2012, 01:31 PM
Any decent noise suppressor filter capacitor whatever you like to call it should solve the problem.

Boagie
19th July 2012, 01:34 PM
Sorry threedogs refresh my memory..does that mean hi/lo or spot if so mine are hi/lo

threedogs
19th July 2012, 01:41 PM
Hi/Lo Gool as suggested go to auto shop and get a suppressor, that should stop it, mine did that a few times as well but not any more, go figure

big bell
28th July 2012, 05:43 PM
best to get a filter or re-route ur wirring of the hids as far away as possible from stereo/antanna etc

Robo
30th July 2012, 12:24 AM
sound like a short on circuit board, internal fault, Id be contacting seller.

dsmith
31st July 2012, 09:28 PM
I've had some experience with auto electrics... the problem occurs mostly with cheap HID kits. They introduce what is called 'ground noise'. As mentioned you can install an in-line 'filter/ground loop isolator' to the earth cable on your head unit that will solve the issue.

Lunny
1st August 2012, 10:34 PM
Maybe a better/stronger earth would help?

Stu
5th August 2012, 12:43 PM
I fitted some cheapy evilbay ones, could not turn the radio on for the noise. Pulled them out and put then into my old Holden 1tonner just the same, went back to halogen.
My own fault for being a tight arse I think, now I have to pay twice over to fix it.

Boofa
15th September 2012, 09:08 PM
I have this same problem except with a LED light bar which I have only just installed, I contacted the supplier of the lightbar who belives that some of these lights give out a frequency similar to the radio device, he couldn't really give me a straight awnser but said try a resistor on the radio or some sort of insulation on the positive wire to the light. I dunno anybody else finding this fault or have any other ways to rectify it?

rusty_nail
15th September 2012, 09:10 PM
This is prob a thread where yendor would be really helpful

Tappin

teno45
15th September 2012, 09:24 PM
I'd be checking the routing of the wiring between the ballast and the bulb. Try to keep it away from any other wires at all. If that doesn't work, then look into the filter.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Yendor
15th September 2012, 09:27 PM
Frequency induced noise can be a real pain to stop......ET is probably the best man for this job.

Does the LED light bar have the c-tick logo on it?

Robo
16th September 2012, 12:33 AM
Bugger.
Read your thread earlier tonight.
Went out to pick up my son.
and my hids are making noise in radio wth.
had these hids for over 12 mths and never had a prob before.
Touch wood reception was weak , soon as I changed to good signal, noise ceased, WT Heck.

mick.
16th September 2012, 09:22 AM
It has a lot to do with the cheaper HID kits that use $5 ballasts. Usually the ballasts that come with the Ingitor box internally mounted in the Ballast don't have this problem. The biggest drama these days is that everyone wants compact ballasts which means the ignitor (black box) is mounted in the cable not the ballast so there's more chance of interference. The higher quality ballasts all have the ignitor inside the ballast or in some OEM cases the bulbs.

That's why you don't see those big black boxes on the factory Denso ballasts you see in Lexus or Toyota. The other place they fit them is on the end of the bulb eg D1S bulbs.

I personally wont sell any ballasts that have the ignitor externally mounted in the 55 watt as these seem to be the worst. There can also be other things that cause it such as poor earthing. Each ballast needs to be earthed correctly and poor quality wiring is another.

Cheers Mick.

healy
17th September 2012, 03:32 PM
Glad I've never had this problem before good luck fixing it fellas

threedogs
17th September 2012, 04:13 PM
This might sound stupid .but you may find it works.
Check the EARTH on your antenna and let me know result.
You may be surprised its from the secret book of fixes, lol
thats if it works.

Ben-e-boy
17th September 2012, 08:33 PM
This might sound stupid .but you may find it works.
Check the EARTH on your antenna and let me know result.
You may be surprised its from the secret book of fixes, lol
thats if it works.

You are onto something there. At work (industrial electrician) Where we have devices that cannot have induced noise. we use a screened cable (exactly the same as the screen on an antenna cable) and teminate it at 1 end only to keep the noise out.

Boofa
17th September 2012, 10:17 PM
Na, no C-Tick logo that I can see on my LED light bar, mabey this is an issue with cheaper gear.

threedogs
18th September 2012, 07:13 AM
You'd be surprised how much trouble this can cause, I'll stand by it

threedogs
21st September 2012, 05:07 PM
Bumped, has anyone got an update yet?????

Robo
21st September 2012, 09:31 PM
Na sorry, been to busy at work.
Will go over lights and aerial.
Get to it 1day soon I hope.

threedogs
22nd September 2012, 02:32 AM
What is it actually called an Antenna or an aerial???
or are they they same? maybe small technical difference.

mick.
23rd September 2012, 07:31 AM
What is it actually called an Antenna or an aerial???
or are they they same? maybe small technical difference.I've asked this question before.

Apparently the only difference is the Americans call it an antenna and the British call it an aerial.

Cheers Mick.

Robo
24th September 2012, 01:49 AM
Macquarie dic.
short version.
aerial is --- radio reception / transmission.
antenna is 1st meaning --- belong to an insect/ crustaceans etc.
antenna 2nd meaning ---- radio or tv aerial.

so 1 and the same !.

russ81
25th September 2012, 06:09 AM
Believe it or not the technical difference between the 2 is

Aerial= receives only ie tv
Antennae = receives and transmits ie UHF

Sent while be temporally motionless