PDA

View Full Version : OD's Kirup Katastrophe's and Recovery Mission

oncedisturbed
19th July 2012, 12:24 PM
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=183&t=133516

Rather than re-writing an entire thread etc, i have included the direct link to the trip write up over at
4WDA for those that wish to have a read, some photo's don't do justice as to how nasty some of the hills and mud was down there.

Have a lot of work ahead of me once Nissan finish fixing the troll for me to get it back up to spec

rkinsey
19th July 2012, 01:59 PM
Absolutely top read!! well done. An adventure had by all by the look of it. This just goes to show exactly why you should not travel alone in the great Aussie bush, or anywhere else in the world for that matter.

Well done to the kids for amusing themselves for hours while the adults worked their bums off just to get over a hill.

I do look forward tot he day when I can finally travel WA... (Oh well Rob, just keep your head down and bum up for the time being....)

Hope the Troll is OK. Im still fixing mine after I bought it two years ago from being a farm truck. White smoke sounds like a turbo gone but yours doesnt have one does it?

Cheers,

Rob

oncedisturbed
19th July 2012, 02:06 PM
nope, straight 4.8L ULP

rkinsey
19th July 2012, 02:18 PM
Eew, still doesnt sound very nice. Good luck and hope it is somthing simple...and cheap....

Cheers,

Rob

oncedisturbed
19th July 2012, 02:20 PM
warranty runs out next month so hopefully they cover it, spoke to ARB today and they will look at the winch etc once I get the rig back which is a bonus.

Will be saving some coin and looking at least 1 x lokka as well

NissanGQ4.2
19th July 2012, 08:08 PM
Top read mate,

Just one question, why didn't you have the auto hubs locked in earlier, before you needed 2 winch?

robbo0001
19th July 2012, 09:02 PM
Thats was a great read, well written and awesome photography.
Great to see the kids looking after themselves....while "the Oldies" get themselves out of whatever crazy situation they are in "this time."
Gives me some hope, for bigger adventures with The Clan in the future!

Hope the rig gets sorted....and its taught me a thing about auto hubs on Patrols. Auto select has worked well so far, but it may be "manual" from now on.

Cheers for the post and link

Clunk
19th July 2012, 11:47 PM
Fantastic read there OD, great pics, good to see you got out but not so good to hear about your troll, hope it all gets sorted soon bud.

oncedisturbed
20th July 2012, 12:09 AM
Top read mate,

Just one question, why didn't you have the auto hubs locked in earlier, before you needed 2 winch?

Auto hubs have been fine before this trip but for some reason they didnt engage so never thought to manual lock them before then, will be from now on.

AVM hubs are on the agenda now as well as at least 1 lokka. Will also look at muddies later down the track possibly but dont really do enough mud work to warrant buying any at this stage.

For those that follow 4wda, the WA trips section has some good reads for previous trips we have done

Clunk
20th July 2012, 01:05 AM
Yeah will definitely be having a read of those mate..... should get yourself a good set of aggressive ATs if you don't think you can warrant muddies.

rusty_nail
20th July 2012, 05:38 AM
Great writeup mate thanks for sharing. Looks like its time for some new tyres?

Tappin

oncedisturbed
20th July 2012, 10:23 AM
Yeah will definitely be having a read of those mate..... should get yourself a good set of aggressive ATs if you don't think you can warrant muddies.

any idea on aggressive A/T's? I have the 762 Maxxis Bravo's on at the moment and they have been really good until this mishap..lol

Clunk
20th July 2012, 10:33 AM
Something like a Mickey Thompson 4 rib ATZ, or Cooper ST... Couple more but can't think of them right now

oncedisturbed
20th July 2012, 02:00 PM
Just spoke to Nissan who advise that the engine is dumping huge amounts of oil into the back end, haven't pinpointed the area as yet, gonna be interesting

NissanGQ4.2
20th July 2012, 04:24 PM
Auto hubs have been fine before this trip but for some reason they didnt engage so never thought to manual lock them before then, will be from now on.

AVM hubs are on the agenda now as well as at least 1 lokka. Will also look at muddies later down the track possibly but dont really do enough mud work to warrant buying any at this stage.

For those that follow 4wda, the WA trips section has some good reads for previous trips we have done

Save your money OD and just rip out the auto locking mechanism from your auto hubs, you will have 2 get out and lock them in manually each time, but would be no different 2 buying AVM manual locking hubs.

robbo0001
20th July 2012, 11:39 PM
Save your money OD and just rip out the auto locking mechanism from your auto hubs, you will have 2 get out and lock them in manually each time, but would be no different 2 buying AVM manual locking hubs.

thats my plan Nissan....can't see why they would fail anymore than AVM manual hubs

NissanGQ4.2
20th July 2012, 11:49 PM
thats my plan Nissan....can't see why they would fail anymore than AVM manual hubs

I have already taken mine out, one of the mechanisms failed so stripped it out and I just hop out to engage now :) yeh I can't see why they would fail anymore than any other branded manual hubs.

Have you read YNOTS write up re taking the auto hub mechanism out of the auto hubs???

P.S: Sorry for the Hijack OD