PDA

View Full Version : UHF - Check my theory

NewDan
19th July 2012, 11:57 AM
Hey guys, just wondering if someone could check my theory of why my uhf has stopped working. It powers up like normal but no sound coming out. At first I thought it may be the areal, but the thing has a meter on it that activates when someone is transmitting ( ie: 1 - 5 or something like that) and that is going up and down so im thinking that it must be in the unit itself. Just wanted to check before I pulled it out and sent it back under warranty. Its a GME TX4500 I think.

Many thanks

97_gq_lwb
19th July 2012, 12:11 PM
Can you hear the hiss with the squelch turned off.

NewDan
19th July 2012, 12:16 PM
Can hear nothing at all. Totally silent like its turned off except its all lit up with the meter going etc.

threedogs
19th July 2012, 12:20 PM
Is your antenna earthed??? some are ground dependant

97_gq_lwb
19th July 2012, 12:20 PM
Ah well sounds buggered unless it is something simple like the p.a switch on lol seen that before.

threedogs
19th July 2012, 12:26 PM
It's not one of those Phillip jobs is it, They're a pain in the butt at the best of times. x2 with above check all switches are correct

NewDan
19th July 2012, 12:27 PM
Im pretty sure its installed properly. It was working perfectly for 8 months before this. Then just died.

threedogs
19th July 2012, 01:12 PM
Can you receive,[hear] people talking or vice versa can anyone hear you????

TimE
19th July 2012, 01:18 PM
From the GME manual

If no sound is heard, rotate the Squelch knob fully
counter clockwise to un-mute the radio then adjust the
volume while listening to the background noise. When
finished, readjust the Squelch knob to re-mute
the radio.

threedogs
19th July 2012, 01:22 PM
Think you nailed it , didn't think it was major as a new unit, maybe turned the knob whilst cleaning

BillsGU
19th July 2012, 01:38 PM
Does it have an external speaker? Sometimes the speaker lead pulls slightly out. No sound from the external speaker but the internal speaker is still dissabled.

GQ TANK
19th July 2012, 08:15 PM
1. What is displayed in the sceen - check the ICONs against the manual http://www.gme.net.au/public/pdf/manuals/tx4500-3_im.pdf . You may have enabled quite or CTSS mode,

2. have you jumped started the truck recently - did the set start playing up afterwoods. When you jump start you can creat a voltage spike - when you connect the cables that can kill electronic components

Finly Owner
19th July 2012, 09:57 PM
1. What is displayed in the sceen - check the ICONs against the manual http://www.gme.net.au/public/pdf/manuals/tx4500-3_im.pdf . You may have enabled quite or CTSS mode,

2. have you jumped started the truck recently - did the set start playing up afterwoods. When you jump start you can creat a voltage spike - when you connect the cables that can kill electronic componentsOne reason you should put fuses on both Positiv nd Negative wires on all UHF and CB sets.

Tim

NewDan
20th July 2012, 12:10 PM
Hey guys, this sounds like good info. Ive lost my manual so didn't know there was a silent mode. But following the links you guys have provided it does seem like I may have played with the wrong buttons so this morning when I go out ill have a play with it and see how I go and let you know...many thanks you may have saved me an embarrasing trip down to GME.