PDA

View Full Version : Roof Rack Legal Length

PATmyROL
18th July 2012, 08:08 PM
Hi all,

I have recently aquired a steel roof rack and was thinking about using it on my GU but I'm thinking it mighht be a bit too long. Its off a van and measures 3600 x 1350. Just wondering if anyone knows what the law (VIC) is regarding this sort of thing as it will hang over the windscreen a fair bit. Not sure how it will look either might look a bit silly. Any help most appreciated.

threedogs
18th July 2012, 08:54 PM
Cut it back as it'll have no support on the over hang, You're right it would look silly. if you need a hand to shorten PM me

GQ TANK
24th July 2012, 08:50 PM
I had a van rack on my mk, had the rack hang out the back a bit - not beyond the body. It was handy when loading long things.

I suspevct the length wont be an issue as long as it does not extend outside the body. Also as per above Dont put a heavy load on the over hang.

I replaced the Rack when I picked up a ARB rack for $40 - it had better support,

PATmyROL
28th July 2012, 12:28 AM
Cheers for the advice guys. Sorry I've been offline for a bit. It's not in the best condition and i think cutting it back is only going to compromise its structure. Think I'll give it a miss and look for a shorter and better quality unit. Thanks for the offer 3 dogs and the advice.

Regards
Mick

P4trol
28th July 2012, 08:46 PM
Saw an interesting one the other day: troopcarrier camper van. The roof has a fibreglass high top on it. This makes it higher than normal and no roof rack possible. What they had done was put the roof rack over the bonnet (at normal roof rack higher - you could lift the bonnet) with two supports down to the bull bar.