PDA

View Full Version : "lights on" alarm?

tracemul7
18th July 2012, 07:43 AM
Did the GQs ever have an alarm/buzzer to say 'your lighs are still on', when you leave the vehicle?

Winnie
18th July 2012, 07:48 AM
Nope. Wish it did though. There are aftermarket kits you can get though.

Tappa tappa

Warnie
18th July 2012, 08:53 AM
I have been stung by this once before, its hell annoying. As Kristoffa said aftermarket is the go here, or just be mindful when exiting your car.

The keys in the ignition one would be handy also, I have done that 3 times also. (Not very mindful - I have become really good at opening the car door with a coathanger however)

taslucas
18th July 2012, 09:46 AM
I hate beeping buzzing alarms! In my local town you just leave the keys in the car anyway so the beeping annoys me. But good for the lights I suppose.

Tap, crackle, pop

Winnie
18th July 2012, 10:34 AM
I've never had a problem with the keys, but have been stung leaving the headlights on.

Tappa tappa

tracemul7
18th July 2012, 02:12 PM
yeah - keys has never been a worry ... although I do sometimes forget I need to put them in the ignition, as our other car has keyless entry/ignition!

The lights warning would be good, but not a big enough problem to worry about aftermarket stuff.

Thanks all :)

Xfactor
24th July 2012, 03:47 AM
done the same myself ..... numerous times, now its an automatic look as I walk away

roadthumperpatrol
23rd August 2012, 10:16 PM
Hook up a relay to only activate the headlights when the accessories are on, no annoying sounds and turns off your headlights when you turn your car off, never have to worry about a flat battery again. Any auto elec. can do it and should take less than 15mins to install ;)

choochie
24th August 2012, 02:22 AM
Hook up a relay to only activate the headlights when the accessories are on, no annoying sounds and turns off your headlights when you turn your car off, never have to worry about a flat battery again. Any auto elec. can do it and should take less than 15mins to install ;)

That means you couldn't have park lights on or flash or high beam unless accessories was on.

I've left lights on a couple times but have a heavy duty battery so never an issue. More of an embarrassing feeling when you walk back to the car and think ahh crap. For the sake of a $5 buzzer I'll get and install one one day.

Silver
24th August 2012, 04:01 AM
built a Jaycar headlight kit a couple of years ago and installed same. Easy enough that it all worked first time.

Key problem - I carry a spare in my wallet. Had to use it a couple of times. :-)

Yendor
24th August 2012, 04:14 AM
Yep you can get a headlights on kit from Jaycar.

Or you can just use any small 12 volt buzzer.

Silver
24th August 2012, 07:26 AM
Don't know how I forgot that solution Yendor, which you suggested previously. It has simplicity, low cost and effectiveness going for it, after all.

I can remember the principle was that both wires of the bu22er would see 12v when the lights were on and the ignition on or on acc, but once the ignition went off, that created the 12v gap, sounding the bu22er.

Which wires should they go for if considering this?

Thanks again, Rick

Yendor
24th August 2012, 08:02 AM
That's correct Rick,

You would connect the positive of the buzzer to the headlight circuit and the negative of the buzzer to ignition circuit or you could use accessories.

With the headlights on and ignition off the buzzer will find an earth via the ignition circuit.

97_gq_lwb
24th August 2012, 08:55 AM
I am thinking of headlights on with accessories or ignition on.
But only parkers without atleast with the headlights off and just the parkers on it should give you quite some time before the battery goes flat.

roadthumperpatrol
24th August 2012, 11:58 AM
Another alternative I always offered while installing after market alarm systems was if they ran both positive and negative door triggers to hook up the positive trigger to the lights if the vehicle ran negative door triggers (most do) so the alarm will trigger when you arm the car with the lights on, if you want to go that way ;)

choochie
24th August 2012, 03:32 PM
Investigated last night.
Connect a buzzer between the ignition switch output and the lighting switch parking light output.
More info here... http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et245.htm

97_gq_lwb
24th August 2012, 05:08 PM
Just looked at my alarm diagram i think i'll wire a relay up to to the negative on arm wire that cuts the lights off when you turn the alarm on.
Pretty sure that's how most modern cars do it as well.

boots
24th August 2012, 09:26 PM
Easy fix - update vehicle and buy a GU . Its got a buzzer .

roadthumperpatrol
24th August 2012, 11:32 PM
used the positive door switches on alarms so they give out a couple of chips to notify, using the negative out while armed to cut lights of will leave the relay charged while the vehicle is in a stationary position and can be a fire risk :)

roadthumperpatrol
24th August 2012, 11:48 PM
Really alarms need a constant signal out while disarmed or your forever butting your head up against a wall on how to have your relays discharged while the vehicle is shut off I have always found :( viper has been good in making me some custom alarms tho and add on units they produce for all there alarms are always a bonus :)

P4trol
25th August 2012, 12:39 AM
Easy fix - update vehicle and buy a GU . Its got a buzzer .

Hmmm. Nov 98 build date seems to have missed out on a headlight alarm.

Tipsy-tap

97_gq_lwb
25th August 2012, 08:56 AM
Really alarms need a constant signal out while disarmed or your forever butting your head up against a wall on how to have your relays discharged while the vehicle is shut off I have always found :( viper has been good in making me some custom alarms tho and add on units they produce for all there alarms are always a bonus :)

O k so if i use one of the immobilisers circuits it's got me thinking now .

roadthumperpatrol
25th August 2012, 10:30 AM
you need to wire it so the relay closes the circuit while the vehicle is disarmed to activate the headlight power, or stationary the relay will constantly be drawing power and heating up so left for a week or so without disarming the vehicle and with a good 4x4 battery the relay will become a hotplate if you follow :)

roadthumperpatrol
25th August 2012, 10:33 AM
I have done it with a central locking block before on the unlock trigger but only if the alarm doesn't have an auto lock on the doors after pressing the brake pedal and giving a signal that can maintain a constant while unlocked :)

roadthumperpatrol
25th August 2012, 11:35 AM
I must add I only did that on request and only on slide lock doors as the risk of putting your arm on the lock and accidentally locking your door at night will turn off your headlights, a warning to consider ;)

roadthumperpatrol
25th August 2012, 11:40 AM
Unclip and remove the press lock bars out of the doors and you won't have an issue, :) always a way around it, they haven't been useful since the invention of central locking anyway

97_gq_lwb
25th August 2012, 11:42 AM
I will have to check the immobilisers relays in the alarm and see how they operate not sure if they use the power from the inputs or switch themselves without it.

roadthumperpatrol
25th August 2012, 12:39 PM
let me know how you go :)

NP99
5th November 2013, 04:53 PM
Hmmm. Nov 98 build date seems to have missed out on a headlight alarm.

Tipsy-tap

Old thread, but so did the 99'