PDA

View Full Version : td42 pistons

johno90
17th July 2012, 06:37 PM
Hey guys

Just wondering what you have done or seen done to the pistons to make them stronger and take more heat etc? has anybody heard of cermic coating them? and all that other stuff.

Looking to build my donk as strong as i can.

97_gq_lwb
17th July 2012, 06:46 PM
I was reading that the turbo pistons were a common upgrade

Ben-e-boy
17th July 2012, 06:49 PM
yeah mate ceramic absorbs heat really well.I think the brand is hyperneurtic ( i got the info from you in one of your other posts.) The worst thing is trying to find someone who has worked a td42 I mean proper work not bolting shit on. I'm in the same boat atm everywhere I have been they all say the same thin 'people are making good power without cracking the motor'

Ben-e-boy
17th July 2012, 06:50 PM
I was reading that the turbo pistons were a common upgrade

I think he already has the turbo piston with the 28mm gudgen pin

bazzad
17th July 2012, 06:56 PM
Interesting question, Have lightened and balanced them but only for petrol engines. The thoery for diesels was they don't rev high enough to worry about any of that stuff. Have never looked into it but I would go for good quality aftermarket pistons and spend the money on tuff conrods.

johno90
17th July 2012, 07:04 PM
yea i was chasing down some hyper watevers, they seem to be the go. im looking at buying another engine and building it tuff as. Tho i cant use a turbo crank i will most likely stick to 28mm gudgen with hyper pistons with ceramic hopefully. No one would happen to make forged rods aye? Also has anyone fitted turbo pre comps into a non turbs head?

Ben-e-boy
17th July 2012, 07:10 PM
yea i was chasing down some hyper watevers, they seem to be the go. im looking at buying another engine and building it tuff as. Tho i cant use a turbo crank i will most likely stick to 28mm gudgen with hyper pistons with ceramic hopefully. No one would happen to make forged rods aye? Also has anyone fitted turbo pre comps into a non turbs head?

have a talk with northside 4x4 apparently the have some high powered td42's.

johno90
17th July 2012, 07:19 PM
hell yea rods rated to 1200hp http://www.pureperformancemotorsport.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=84_196&products_id=518&osCsid=uuxsnetzm and price is good. northside havent been very helpful as im doing all the work and not paying them they dont want to give to much away

Ben-e-boy
17th July 2012, 07:35 PM
hell yea rods rated to 1200hp http://www.pureperformancemotorsport.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=84_196&products_id=518&osCsid=uuxsnetzm and price is good. northside havent been very helpful as im doing all the work and not paying them they dont want to give to much away
oh well I guess I wont be going to them for advice

97_gq_lwb
17th July 2012, 10:00 PM
What about these.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HYPATEC-PISTON-SET-6-NISSAN-PATROL-GU-Y61-TD42-DIESEL-TURBO-4-2-ALFIN-95-/200787121149?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ebfd853fd

Bambill
17th July 2012, 10:36 PM
Why wouldn't you use the factory TD42T pistons?
If you had the crowns ceramic coated and the dry film coating on the skirts they would be fine.
This is what most people use.

nissannewby
18th July 2012, 09:33 AM
Im with bambill a lot of blokes are just using turbo internals and getting the pistons ceramic coated there are companies like hpc etc that do this. The diesel central boys are pushing stupid figures out of a turbo motor with only ceramic coated pistons to help with heat and these blokes have been known to push 42psi through their motors but if i remember correctly tend to stay around the 36-38 mark.

Ben-e-boy
18th July 2012, 10:02 AM
so if you go and get pistons coated does the piston need to be machined down to cater for the layer of coating

nissannewby
18th July 2012, 10:15 AM
Most of the coating companies will do all this work to keep the piston in spec

Bambill
18th July 2012, 10:45 AM
Make sure they are the factory UD pistons.
Coatings are very thin, around 2-3 thou. Final sleeve honing should be done after pistons have been coated and measured.
I wouldn't go to the expense of the after market rods either, no need unless you are trying to save weight.

johno90
19th July 2012, 05:21 PM
i prefer 28mm gudgen over 30mm thats why i stay non turbs pistons, im also looking at pushing this thing to the limit as ive seen these motors throw legs at 50psi i dont want that to happen hence the forged rods going in. The goal is to crack the 350rwkw, biggest set back i can find is the head ive been drawing up some ideas for modifying it for alot more flow and bigger valves. Im buying another motor so i can do all the work and still have a car to drive around.

nissannewby
19th July 2012, 07:59 PM
Plentyof people have run oversize valves and all that stuff forged rods won't prevent a leg out of bed it's variety of things I would also look at getting the block some how strengthened also a normal head gasket isn't up to the task either plus there is something else they do with drilling and tapping the head for coolant.

nissannewby
19th July 2012, 08:09 PM
Also once you start pushing big figures it has been known that things will twist the end off the crank at the flywheel end so if your look at that fabled number you may have to run a forged crank as well. There have been some big players the td42 performance stake and the best I have seen so far is 330 odd hp at the treads.

johno90
19th July 2012, 09:17 PM
I know it won't be any easy task and I'm prepared to face that things will most likely break, I've got enough machinery to make most things and do all te head work. I've done a few td's that pushed 250 - 270 with stock intnerals but alot I head work. I'm willing to give it ago and push the limits if it fails then ill just put a v8 diesel in it. United is working on a 400kw te ATM using a forged striker kit to 4.45l they haven't got it together yet but there getting there

Bambill
20th July 2012, 01:36 PM
Ha ha ha.
Did Matt tell you he was aiming for 400kw?
You have a uphill battle in front of you to achieve your goal.
Going back and reading your turbo install thread, and a few comments here, has me thinking you have very limited knowledge of what you are doing.

Good luck with it though.

Marty

nissannewby
20th July 2012, 02:26 PM
http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=224183

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=222345

Have a read of these. They do with hold their tuning information (with good reason) but there has been some hours and dollars poured into this subject. These threads should give you a fair idea of what you need to do to achieve big power. There is mention of mats stroker but this was a year ago and I havent seen much more about it. As i stated earlier the most I have seen from a TD42 reliably is around the 330HP (not KW) at the wheels and swaffie has readouts showing this. Being in QLD Swaffie is the man you want to talk to about this. His business is diesel central in Gracemere.

johno90
21st July 2012, 08:25 AM
In relationsion to limited knownlodge on building engine setups ive been doing it for years on both petrol and diesel it is my job and some very impressive motors have come out of it. i admit most of my work is with v8's but i have the machinery to customise heads, blocks etc so im giving it ago. instead of flaming someone for setting a goal and willing to do whatever needs to be done how about a bit of good luck bro

Bambill
21st July 2012, 07:03 PM
???
So which part of my post did you read?

johno90
24th July 2012, 11:47 AM
Sorry bambill was a bit pissed of when i was reading you post, wasnt pissed at you work screwed me over. just got back from a short cruise and they decided to tell me day before i leave they forgot to approve my holidays in the system.
Anywho ive decided to go down the 400cu diesel route as it will be cheaper and mostly off the shelf as i want to buy another Hq or firebird :)
Sorry if i was rude etc thats not me man, i like listen to people and their advice and learn as much as i can :)
Btw my td and turbs will be for sale soon