PDA

View Full Version : Are our Patrols really trucks?

Ricardo00
16th July 2012, 09:22 PM
This maybe a bit of stupid thread but I'm curious on your guys opinions, I was having a discussion with a few mates the other day (one's a towie and the other drives trucks) and both of them were getting on my case for referring to my Patrol as a truck. In my opinion a big 4x4 especially like our Patrols or Landcruisers are effectively trucks, am I wrong? what do you think?

NissanGQ4.2
16th July 2012, 09:29 PM
Never refer to it as a truck!!!!!, you just might convince the RTA that they are trucks and slug me with a heavier rego

NissanGQ4.2
16th July 2012, 09:33 PM
And no matter what anyone thinks it all comes down 2 how the Department of transport classifies them, and currently anything under 4.5t is a car ( well except a bike *L* )

nissannewby
16th July 2012, 09:52 PM
I am too against calling them trucks. They arent trucks you drive them on a normal car licence they dont have splitter boxs and they only have 4 wheels. Not to mention a hell of a lot cheaper to run than a truck in every regard. Its a 4wd end of story :)

Winnie
16th July 2012, 09:53 PM
I have never and will never refer to my Patrol as a truck.
Rig is acceptable though :P

NissanGQ4.2
16th July 2012, 09:57 PM
they dont have splitter boxsGod............ imagine a patrol with an 18 speed road ranger gearbox, that would be interesting

nissannewby
16th July 2012, 09:57 PM
Good for extreme offroad

Clunk
16th July 2012, 10:08 PM
But they do have the turning circle of a truck!!!!!! Lol

threedogs
16th July 2012, 10:13 PM
been calling it a lot of things lately, truck isn't one of them

Ricardo00
16th July 2012, 10:29 PM
I have been educated, pity I can't change the thread title :).

growler2058
16th July 2012, 10:36 PM
The td42 is a nissan truck motor, however im happy with truck, 4b, 4wd, toy, what eva I've also driven trucks with road ranger and no skin off my nose ;-)
Plenty of "truckies" out there who should be driving mokes!!!!

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

Woof
17th July 2012, 01:22 AM
I have been educated, pity I can't change the thread title :).
Hey mate, just changed your thread title for you......hows that look?

Ricardo00
17th July 2012, 07:50 AM
yeah that's better :)

DX grunt
17th July 2012, 09:25 AM
God............ imagine a patrol with an 18 speed road ranger gearbox, that would be interesting

I have a HC licence and I call my 4by a truck!

I can double the clutch and vibrate my lips to make the sound of exhaust and engine brakes. I use my extension mirrors to see around the pod,

I also own a pair of thongs and have worn out a pair spandy shorts that reveal lots when I bend over. lol.

I love my truck.

DX grunt
17th July 2012, 09:29 AM
mokes!!!!

Mokes!!!! You are showing your age!!! PML

I loved those little yellow/red buses. hahahaha

macca
17th July 2012, 09:46 AM
If they can call those short assed, air bagged, tail dragging, doof doof utes mini trucks well mine is a truck.

A real one, Allright.

taslucas
17th July 2012, 01:22 PM
If they can call those short assed, air bagged, tail dragging, doof doof utes mini trucks well mine is a truck.

A real one, Allright.

Hahaha too true! But they also call them cool! Haha.
I call them a gutlux

Tap, crackle, pop

MC97GQ
17th July 2012, 02:20 PM
Actually when I went to insure my Patrol with NRMA last year the lady behind the counter chastised me for calling it a ute, she said "they're a truck not a ute" turns out she was a Patrol fan.

And both me and my mate argue frequently about our Patrols, he reckons his is the "Tuff Truck" and mines the "Show Truck".

And I too have a HR licence, worn out blue stubble's shorts and singlets and a the pair of obligatory thongs(jandles for our brethren across the ditch).

the evil twin
17th July 2012, 02:36 PM
Legalistic definition of a Rigid Truck (from QLD but most states are very similar)
Means a rigid motor vehicle built mainly as a load carrying vehicle.
Load carrying vehicle means a vehicle designed and built to carry goods in addition to any fuel, water, lubricants, tools and any other equipment or accessories necessary for the vehicles normal operation

Heavy vehicles are defined as vehicles over 4.5 tonne GVM

OK, that means the Patrols def aren't a heavy... but... kind of means that Patrol Wagons are out but Traybacks could easily be considered a truck if used for that purpose sama sama as the argument for "F Trucks" and their ilk.

Me personally, well, I went and asked the 'Evil Trol' if she was a Truck or a Car and the reply dripping with contempt was
"I'm a truck, stupid, and I'll have serious words with anyone who says different!"
Which was good enough for me so she is and always will be a truck. :smiley_thumbs_up:

Winnie
17th July 2012, 02:59 PM
That's weird, I asked mine and it just said "vroom vroom"

Tappa tappa

WogsRus
17th July 2012, 03:09 PM
I have to say my kids call the Patrol ad Truck, I just call it the Trol or PoooTrol, no punt intended.

With all due respect, whilst i Like my patrol, it drives like a truck, stops like a truck, is put together like a truck, so what is a duck if not a duck. LOL.

TimE
17th July 2012, 03:30 PM
In the ACT a wagon is classified as a passenger carrying vehicle or SUV, a ute is classified as a light truck !

I call my wagon the "Patrol"

Sprattman
21st July 2012, 01:08 AM
I am lead to believe that in QLD the wagon is def not a truck and is reg as a passenger carrying vehicle. However the ute is classed as a commerciel vehicle and pays a higher rego and is I guess a Light truck.
I could be wrong though, it has happened before.

Winnie
21st July 2012, 08:01 AM
The wagon is a commercial vehicle in Vic.

Tappa tappa

DX grunt
22nd July 2012, 05:53 PM
Just worked out my fuel consumption......16.93l/100k's. It's a truck. lol

MC97GQ
22nd July 2012, 06:30 PM
Hey Grunt,

Your avatar says it all, Top Bloke??? :smileyvault-cute-biTop Truck

Robo
30th July 2012, 12:07 AM
I call it a bus sometimes

dsmith
31st July 2012, 08:59 PM
Calling 4wd's trucks seems to be a yank thing. Also, I would suggest that utes if anything are closer to a 'truck' as per the yanks reference than a wagon is.

Winnie
31st July 2012, 09:04 PM
I call it a bus sometimes

I too call mine a bus. Sorry but it's just not a truck. Although it does have the turning circle of one

Tappa tappa

DX grunt
31st July 2012, 09:09 PM
I too call mine a bus. Sorry but it's just not a truck.

Tappa tappa

You could call your vehicle a PIT bus.

Probationer In Transit. hahahahahahahahahah

Winnie
31st July 2012, 09:39 PM
Now THIS is what I call a truck!

*massive amounts of sarcasm above*

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/4_MILLSYs/PRADO/RTV%20FORD/2007_0628XYWAGON0037.jpg

taslucas
31st July 2012, 09:49 PM
hahahahaha what a w@nker!!

DX grunt
31st July 2012, 09:51 PM
What a great WA registered 'Beaut Ute' - apart from the illegal 5 poster!

Isn't that right ....you know who. PML

Having said that, there's plenty of support for a water bra. hahaha

nissannewby
31st July 2012, 09:51 PM
Atleast he only has 2 aerials we have seen them driving around up here with up to 6 aerials on them. I dont know about anyone else but i can only talk on one radio at a time.

DX grunt
31st July 2012, 09:56 PM
Two things missing......

1. The Bundy flag
2. "I've been to Dargo Pub" sticker.

NissanGQ4.2
31st July 2012, 09:57 PM
I think that's up for sale DX, are you going 2 buy it??? *LMAO*

DX grunt
31st July 2012, 10:00 PM
I think that's up for sale DX, are you going 2 buy it??? *LMAO*

Not today, thank you. PML

MC97GQ
31st July 2012, 10:07 PM
Guarantee it's got KW or CAT rear mud flaps, with some nice Lusty Allison figurines on them, but i don't see a Mack Bulldog on the bonnet(you need this or you are a total Wayne Kerr-tongue firmly planted in cheek).

It would have to be a starter for the Deni ute muster for sure.

Bubba
27th August 2012, 04:41 AM
a bit late in the debate. when i worked in Saudi all nationalities who were there (almost every country was represented ) all called 4x4s Trucks, maybe it was a Yank influence , but the most numerous nationallity was POMs .
BTW my Old man has an Xtrail and I call it a 4x4 LOL.

BearGUST
27th August 2012, 08:44 AM
They have a full chassis with some truck-like heavy duty parts underneath, I don't call mine a truck but they're not too far off!

97_gq_lwb
27th August 2012, 09:02 AM
Those utes are disappointing sure they make me laugh every time i see one but i keep expecting someone in a clown suit to get out and start riding around on a little bike juggling.
But it is usually just some beer guzzling bogan.

tecdiverdude
19th October 2012, 10:04 AM
ATM mine is a shell with a motor and what looks like intestines of wiring looms hanging out of it.
I'm boggling my mind with trying to line up the 2008 CRD's electronics to the 2001s looms..... the red wire's connected to the green wire..

Shaunt
21st October 2012, 09:28 PM
My MQ I classed as a truck, the GQ was the blue b**ch, the GU is more like a large car