PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Problems I want to cry

Bloodyaussie
16th July 2012, 07:35 PM
I have had issues with what seemed to be a fuel pump failing and today I spent the whole day at my mechanics pulling out the tank and installing a new pump to find it is doing exactly the same thing!!!!!

It seems to shut off and on like a total loss of power then full on again???

If its not the expensive fuel pump I just bought then what else.

To top it off the converter is on its way out and have ordered a new one of them as well...

Frustration, any ideas welcome!!!
Update page 2 solved

97_gq_lwb
16th July 2012, 08:26 PM
fuel pump relay ? ecu ? bad earth ? worth checking anyway.

Morton
16th July 2012, 08:41 PM
I would be more inclined to think electrics

Yendor
16th July 2012, 08:42 PM
Need some more info.

What model Patrol and engine? what are the symptoms?, why did you remove the fuel tank? does it have an aftermarket tank fitted?, does it also run on LPG?

Did the mechanic check the fuel pressure with a gauge? what was it reading?

If you have an aftermarket tank fitted there could be a problem with the swirl pot within the tank.

Other possibilities are the sock/strainer on the pick up is blocked, bad connection at fuel pump, faulty fuel pump relay, fault with the engine management system, fuel pressure regulator, fuel injectors..........

Bloodyaussie
16th July 2012, 09:29 PM
Ok yes I run both petrol and gas with an after market fuel tank, on gas it runs perfect.

It is a GQ efi 4.2

The fuel pressure was good 36psi??

tank is in perfect condition and it all started last weekend after a 3 day trip at Rubicon/Toolangi.

I will leave it with them when my new Converter turns up as today they were doing me a huge favor by letting me use a hoist and doing the work myself.

I have another GQ here I bought for parts and might dig up the relay from it and see if that does something as tomorrow I am stuck at home with sick 2 year old..

Does my head in as I am on holidays and so far I have replaced (at great expense) my central heating, fixed my roller door (took all day) cleaned out garage(also took all day) worked on my car all day and now sick kiddies!!!! wahoo!!!!!!!

I am going to need a holiday from my holiday, oh thats right we are all supposed to be going to LOrne for 3 days then a wedding the day we get back, he he he!!!!!!

nissannewby
16th July 2012, 09:47 PM
Throttle position sensor they tend to play up on these donks

nissannewby
16th July 2012, 09:47 PM
and have the same symptons if you bury your foot it will cut out but it you take it off and feed it to slower its kind of better?

Yendor
16th July 2012, 09:50 PM
oh, a GQ and you have auto problems. The first thing I would check is the TPS (throttle position switch).

Fuel pressure is good, was this reading taken on a road test when the vehicle was playing up? if so I wouldn't bother swapping relays.

Yendor
16th July 2012, 09:57 PM
Doh, must type faster.......lol what nissannewby said.

nissannewby
16th July 2012, 10:00 PM
All good this is what the forums are for if you have a couple of people saying the same thing it helps everyone invovled :)

Bloodyaussie
17th July 2012, 09:30 AM
oh, a GQ and you have auto problems. The first thing I would check is the TPS (throttle position switch).

Fuel pressure is good, was this reading taken on a road test when the vehicle was playing up? if so I wouldn't bother swapping relays.
The test was taken stationary and the last time a test was taken there was no pressure and very low flow thats why it would idle but not rev under load.
I will go and change the pump relay first and see if that works then I will work from there.
Not sure what time the converter will show up so want to wait for that if I end up giving it to my mechanics so it can all be looked at all together as I have had enough down time.
Oh and it is a manual??

97_gq_lwb
17th July 2012, 10:38 AM
Wouldn't you check the fuel pressure reg as well.

Yendor
17th July 2012, 12:51 PM
I guess you were talking about replacing the gas converter then, not the torque converter.

Make sure your exhaust system is not blocked.

threedogs
17th July 2012, 12:55 PM
You can get overhaul kits for converters, just clean everything with brake spray and re assemble with new rubbers etc, much cheaper

Bloodyaussie
17th July 2012, 12:58 PM
Wait for it.................... BAD EARTH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I watched and helped all the work done as all my earth leads were replaced and re routed to better spots on the engine and chassis.

My mate Pete was gob smacked as he also has a MAVERICK and it was the last place he thought to look !!!!

There is a guy doing Impco Converters for $180 brand new and at that price why bother with the rebuild... also mine may have been leaking coolant to places it does not belong and if there was any corrosives then it may not be able to have a kit put throught it ??

Yendor
17th July 2012, 01:01 PM
It's always good when it's an easy fix.