PDA

View Full Version : Shopping Centre accident - Worth a fight?

AB
16th July 2012, 07:31 PM
Just thought I would ask opinions on this one...lol

My misses has been parking in the same spot at a major shopping centre for the last 10 years. Today, she reversed into her usual spot next to the centre and smashed her car up because they have now put up a trolley bay...LMAO

After I called her an idiot, etc and I just got home from work and she showed me the photos I am now thinking is this totally her fault?

The photo without the sign is the spot...She came in from the left hand side which is the shopping centre lift entrance. Coming from the left she pulled in opposite that spot and reversed in as usual.

Notice there is no sign to notify the driver of a trolley bay so she didnt see it when she pulled into the opposite side to reverse due to the wall of the building and then reversing is impossible to see because of no sign to see in the mirrors.

The other photo is all the other new trolley bays in the carparks with signs above so you can see when reversing that there is a bay there...

Worth fighting do you think???

Tail light and rear bumper are smashed....

Notice the grey scrap of a VT wagon on the fresh yellow paint...LMAO...Bloody woman drivers!!!

the ferret
16th July 2012, 07:38 PM
I'd take Bluey and a big chain down there Andy, lol.
Cheers, the ferret.

taslucas
16th July 2012, 08:05 PM
Im sorry, but im gonna have to side with the steel pole........ it could have been a kid!

growler2058
16th July 2012, 08:10 PM
Shouldn't let kids or steel poles alone in carparks fight it!!!!

NissanGQ4.2
16th July 2012, 08:11 PM
Could of been a kid but lucky wasn't, I would get them to foot the bill 4 the damage.

If they don't foot the bill, winch the bars out, looks like they would make up some really nice sliders :)

growler2058
16th July 2012, 08:13 PM
And if it was a kid charge his parents for the damage!!!

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

97_gq_lwb
16th July 2012, 08:22 PM
lol no excuse come on it is painted yellow i would think it is more a case of being used to reversing into the same old spot everyday so she didn't feel the need to take any notice as it had become second nature.

Winnie
16th July 2012, 08:24 PM
lol no excuse come on it is painted yellow i would think it is more a case of being used to reversing into the same old spot everyday so she didn't feel the need to take any notice as it had become second nature.

That's what it sounds like, but if you seriously can't see them in your rear views then yeah you've probably got a foot to stand on against them.

Yendor
16th July 2012, 08:27 PM
I think you will find it's part of the shopping centres terms and condition, that they are not liable for any damage or loss that might occur while using their car park and by you parking there you agree to these terms.

If it was still under construction you might be able to claim it under the subcontractors public liability insurance.

Personally I think you will just have to wear it, you can always bring it up when the wife is giving you a hard time over something else.

If the centre is owned by Westfield they will more then likely bill you for the damage you did to their property.

NissanGQ4.2
16th July 2012, 08:27 PM
Depends on if you can't see it in the rear vision mirror, If she didn't look then of course you have know hope in hell, but if you take the same car down there and go 2 reverse in and can't seem them then you have every right 2 lodge a complaint

Clunk
16th July 2012, 08:32 PM
Just goes to show that being habitual and therefore being complacent can be a damaging thing....... Did she only rely on mirrors or did she have a good look around as well during reversing? Doubt if you have any grounds mate.....Sorry lmfao

macca
16th July 2012, 09:44 PM
Im sorry, but im gonna have to side with the steel pole........ it could have been a kid!

I can not help thinking what the conversations would be if it was a kid or adult.

Gives me a horrible feeling.

Fortunately some pride and the car were the only things damaged.

The responsibility we have while driving is great and we have to adapt to the changes that are around us.

Sorry but the question was asked.

AB
16th July 2012, 10:09 PM
We are indeed creatures of habit and very lucky it wasnt a child. We just had a chat about that exact subject.

But she was using both side mirrors and rear view mirror and did not see the rails. They are supposed to have the sign above the bars so you can see them in your mirrors so that was the whole argument she had with centre management...You cant see them in the mirror but I never reverse unless I see the area first with my own eyes so...

Clunk
16th July 2012, 10:22 PM
Snip....

But she was using both side mirrors and rear view mirror and did not see the rails...You cant see them in the mirror but I never reverse unless I see the area first with my own eyes so...

Yeah my missus has tried that whole argument in the past too..... Doesn't wash with me, I keep telling her to look around first and not solely rely on mirrors.... Does she listen ? Does she heck........ Maybe I should stop paying the insurance, might listen then lol

threedogs
16th July 2012, 10:36 PM
I always thought you had no rights reversing

wildgu6
16th July 2012, 11:34 PM
Mmmmm a lot of interesting views there and most with merit too, no harm in trying to recoup costs and good luck Andy, but I think it's time to install that reversing camera, never know where another trolley bay might pop up, and a good thing it wasn't a kid, but that's how easy it can happen

Yappa Tappa Doo

megatexture
16th July 2012, 11:56 PM
yea i agree try your luck with them but don’t hold your breath. i wouldn’t expect they will do anything it really is the drivers responsibility to make sure it’s clear before reversing i always hate seeing poles that aren’t a decent level in car parks they are just asking for ppl to hit them

Woof
17th July 2012, 01:00 AM
My advise is to take it on the chin and save it for later, when you want to go for a play in the Patrol mate.

macca
17th July 2012, 07:59 AM
Been thinking about this a bit,
The centre management is going to say those signs are there for shoppers to see where the trolley bays are, they are at that hieght to see them over the top of parked cars.
At some time during the parking process the tubular frames would have been visible in one of the mirrors, in saying that it is not necessarily well lit.
Reversing is not how a lot of people would park, but you can so some reflective tape may have caught the reversing lights of your car showing the bars location.
With things like this it is the capacity of the centre to pay, but they also have the capacity to fight.
Macca

DX grunt
17th July 2012, 09:15 AM
How much $ damage was done?

97_gq_lwb
17th July 2012, 09:17 AM
When you do your driving test you fail for not checking your blind spots .
Maybe their is a reason for it lol.

AB
17th July 2012, 09:20 AM
How much $ damage was done?

Smashed tail light and rear bumper pushed in which bellowed the side of the bumper out. Cracked all the paint off the bumper and some narley new yellow paint all on bumper.

jman69
21st July 2012, 08:58 PM
So , you called your wife an idiot. Are your b@!!$ still in tact ??

AB
22nd July 2012, 07:35 AM
So , you called your wife an idiot. Are your b@!!$ still in tact ??

It was said over the phone mate at a safe distance...lol

Rip'n'Shred
22nd July 2012, 08:38 AM
I've always said shopping is dangerous, especially the carparks.

I try to keep myself and the misess out of them as much as possible. :)

LittleJohn
22nd July 2012, 03:16 PM
I smashed me rear bar on exactly same type trolley bay poles Ab earlier this year ..
I just went and boughgt a new bar, you'd win th battle, but who could be stuffed !....