PDA

View Full Version : Coil spacers?

gavinsell
16th July 2012, 11:35 AM
I have a 92 gq wagon with 2 inch lift that's has sagged a little.

My questions is, is there any reason I could not fit 30mm coil spacers to bring the ride back up to hight? Example will my shocks be to short or brake lines need extending if I do want to fit the coil spacers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers.

BillsGU
16th July 2012, 11:43 AM
It will only bring your suspension up to the original height so should be no problem with shocks or brake hoses. The only thing it will limit is your upward wheel travel (your springs will not compress as much as before). If your springs have sagged that much you may have an issue with the ride of the vehicle (both on and off road) and your load carrying and towing capability will be less.

Better option is to get a new set of springs, get them reset at a spring works or maybe even put a set of airsprings inside the coils. A spacer would be my last choice.

growler2058
16th July 2012, 11:47 AM
The effort of putting a spacer in I'd go and replace the spring. IMHO spacers are adding a weak link in the suspension chain

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

gavinsell
16th July 2012, 12:10 PM
Well it has not sagged 30mm, I was thinking to get more hight out of it. Makes sense about not having as much travel though. Thanks.

Morton
18th July 2012, 11:54 PM
if you do put spacers in be sure to adjust the rear brake proportioning valve spring as your brakes will be less affective the higher it goes especially if your rear brakes are drum, I fitted spacers to the rear of my GU to add an additional 20-30 mm for when I am heavily loaded, 4 kids, camper, full tanks, back full of food & gear etc, it levels my ride, I run a tame 2' lift on this one, I just dont like a lower rear end, I dont fit airbags as the rear spring hangers in a GU have a bad habit of failing or worse snapping off when they are pumped up, it shocks the car to much, there is 15mm spacers available on fleabay, as mentioned before, you should replace the springs if they are sagging anyway, take the same time to fit springs as it does spacers, takes me appx 20-30 minutes to swap out rear springs start to finish

Stusgq
17th August 2012, 01:55 PM
BANDAID sollution only. Been there done it. Growlers is right, the amount of effort to put em in, you may as well bite the bullet and replace springs.