PDA

View Full Version : another shaking front end problem

mudmav
15th July 2012, 11:45 PM
Have read some posts and i see that it is a common problem with the GQ , mine is a maverick 89 model just got it roadworthy and had three items on list wheel bearings loose , panhard bushes and split pins in castle nuts of arm that has return to centre shock attached to it .
all was fine for about 50 ks afterwarwards then bang the horrid dtees a wobble from hell started out it may happen only at 60 ks but only every now and then but only around the 60 k mark no other speed was affected had to slow to below that speed say 50 to get rid of it wait a while at 50 then try agin 90% after about 3mins ok to speed up to 100 again then it started doing it more frequent and at 80 and worse 100 so thankfully after rego was complete .
have taken off the road for now but drives fine under 60 ks no hint of vibration or wobble in wheel and sometimes you may get away with it not going spastic at all which is weird to me seems random but getting worse , oh wheels were balanced which i blamed and had rebalanced while i watched but both were still good .
have i got a new unrelated problem or should i be looking at what ive done ? the castle nuts seem to change the speed at which the wobble strts at by the torque but i cant find a happy medium to suggest its this alone remembering you have to line up the hole with the nut for the pins to go thru and its this plus a bit thats doing it it would appear to be the problem maybe the mechanic is the only answer which is a pity have put in a lot of hours on this rig and its done 700 odd wobble free ks before this crap happenned .
would appreciate any comment.
robert

Robo
16th July 2012, 01:01 AM
Think you will find the castle nut isn't the problem as you describe, think it is.
It's more the way the ball joint and internal spring is worn at a given radius of turn and this finds a loose point of play in the joint and there's 1 way your wobble shows up, best way I can describe it.
Check all ball joints or simply replace em with new, and don't buy ebay joints they are factory seconds I recon.
local shop has em for a few more dollars, something that works properly is always a better deal.
Tighten/ replace wheel bearings.
Tighten/replace swivel bearing and re-shim to pre-load specs.
"Check Wheels and Tyres for out of round and balance."
Check and or replace all suspension bushes.
poly for on Rd.
rubber for off Rd.
but this is a matter of varying opinions.
rubber flex off Rd, Poly stiff for steady for asphalt.
I'm personally 50/50 on front arms, poly= caster and rubber rear of arm.
and rubber for comfort on rear diff arms as its the wife's car.
recon this helps to soften the ride, preventing transmission Rd vibes through chassie.
and remember caster correction if needed.
return to centre damper opinions vary.
recon for avg driving not needed and prob only covers up a wobble and not really helping.
1 step up in damping over std is probably best for on Rd and it work fine for rtc.
And a bad shocky can also give problems.

lots to look at, and cost wise if you can do it yourself then you stand to save alot $$$.
cheers

mudmav
16th July 2012, 01:36 AM
thanks so much , have had the balance done twice so can count that out , may try another rtc damper as i can get my hands on a try and see one and start there then follow your list you have been most helpfull .

mudmav

Robo
16th July 2012, 01:54 AM
RTC isn't the problem causing wobble.
Its in all the other places described.
Maybe 1 or all places, but not the steer damper.
My personal experience's tell me look at.
tie rods, caster bushes, swivels and other suspension bushes, wheels and tyres are all the /potential problem.

mudmav
16th July 2012, 07:20 PM
thanks , problem found , knew it would have to be with one of the items we adjusted replaced for roadworthy .

it was the mount for the panhard right side , bolt hole was footy shaped and bolt had worked loose causing the chassis to move sideways to the cabin , just a bit but enough to cause my problem .

have had it tightened for now and will get some big washers welded over the top each side so no play either side , the rtc shocker was sticking in a certain position as well which may not have helped but it drives ok now no wobble or vibration up to 105 ks so happy with Tom for spending two hours under truck looking for cause and then doing it for the love of it and the challenge what a guy .

if your ever in wangaratta and need diff work give this guy a call he is good , just contact me for his mobile no .

Robo
17th July 2012, 05:31 AM
All good,
glad you solved it so easily.
wobble can be a real pain.

roon
21st July 2012, 03:52 AM
i first time purchase a nissan 4x4 safari 1999 y61 grand road limited 5 door with iron man suspension fited i dont know what problum to my nissan safari at 60 km above its starts heavy wobble its shake hole body and sterring i cheak whole front suspension in work shop the mechenic change tyrerods he grease hole suspension and also change sterring dumper which i import from dubai iron man disply but still my 4x4 wobling very very high no one in pakistan understanding wats that fault plz help me to solve my 4x4 heavy wobling problum i also change tyres rims every thing i change but problum still stands plz help me

Robo
22nd July 2012, 10:54 PM
i first time purchase a nissan 4x4 safari 1999 y61 grand road limited 5 door with iron man suspension fited i dont know what problum to my nissan safari at 60 km above its starts heavy wobble its shake hole body and sterring i cheak whole front suspension in work shop the mechenic change tyrerods he grease hole suspension and also change sterring dumper which i import from dubai iron man disply but still my 4x4 wobling very very high no one in pakistan understanding wats that fault plz help me to solve my 4x4 heavy wobling problum i also change tyres rims every thing i change but problum still stands plz help me

Sounds like panard bushes need replacing.

Xfactor
24th July 2012, 03:52 AM
had same thing at 80 -90 ... renewed the lot - shocks ,springs,rubbers etc still there ... fixed by on car balance?

mudmav
24th July 2012, 01:31 PM
yes wheel balance and the panhard bushes and make sure the bolt is a snug fit and tight not worn out of round like mine rtc had nothing to do with it as someone suggested we even took it off and test drove it without the dampner to prove it was not the problem .
listen to the experts mate and start at the panhard bushes but dont just look take the nut and washer off and get someone to turn the wheel while you watch for slop or slack and most of all good luck unless you have shite loads of dracmas dont be too quick to replace something unless you know its no good as you may be causing a problem somewhere else unless you go all the way and replace everything bushes bearings tie rods the works , well thats my opinion and im sticking to it .

Robo
26th July 2012, 03:29 PM
I don't know this for a fact, so some one may be able to confirm.

Patrols use the round hole in centre of rim to centre the wheel on hub and not the studs.
So that said it stands to reason that a on car balance may actually help.
but the drama is move the wheel one stud position or rotate and there goes your balance.
cheers