PDA

View Full Version : IPOD connection

maverick01
15th July 2012, 08:26 AM
Hi Guys,

We recently purchased a 2005 GU ST Patrol, It currently has the standard nissan radio in it which incorporated a cd/ tape deck.

My problem is i am not a big fan of having thousnads of cd's floating around in the car, so my question to everyone is has anyone hooked up a plug that you can connect an ipod to to play through the radio.

I had an xr8 falcon and i fitted a kit from ford to it which was all plug and play so i thought maybe nissan did a similar thing.

Its not point ringing nissan because the only dealer in brisbane that im aware of is at Lutwyche and they are so rude and arrogant.

joey_081
15th July 2012, 04:53 PM
You can Buy aftermarket I pod holder/charger that will play through the radio. You set the frequency and it will play on that channel. About $20 on ebay I think they are.

DSzuke
15th July 2012, 06:03 PM
I'd be interested to see if there is a solution too. I imagine replacing the unit is the only answer.

I've tried the FM transmitter thing before without much success.

I suspect the unit is just too old to cope with iPod technology. I had to laugh when I saw the cassette player. My 5 yo didn't know what it did!

galvo76
15th July 2012, 10:25 PM
I would just replace the head unit man cheaper and better sound then stuffing around with fm transmitters

megatexture
15th July 2012, 11:41 PM
ive replaced my head unit and have a ipod dock on my dash though i couldnt find what i wanted i had to modify one to suit.

danielrusty
16th July 2012, 07:26 AM
Yeah dont bother with the Fm transmitters mate. They work for a moment then only long enough to annoy you when the sound of static comes back. You can go to an audio mob and get them to install a converter. It comes in a little box along with a wiring loom and will be hard wired into the back of your stereo. i bought one about 3 years ago and it was $80. Then for a little bit more you could get another head unit as well. Personal preference matey.

DSzuke
16th July 2012, 08:01 AM
How do you go about changing the head unit if you want to keep the steering wheel controls?

I'd like to get rid of the double DIN and 6 stacker CD unit and use the space for a UHF or something.

my third 256
16th July 2012, 08:59 AM
you can get a cassett that fits into the tape deck that has a wire that comes out of it with a plug then you plug the ipod into this
got from dicksmiths

Winnie
16th July 2012, 09:25 AM
ive replaced my head unit and have a ipod dock on my dash though i couldnt find what i wanted i had to modify one to suit.

Hey mate got any pics of your iPod dock?

megatexture
17th July 2012, 12:11 AM
Just a standard bench dock and I’ve got a elastic strap with a hook to keep it in place when off-road on road its fine. The power cord and stereo plug run through the aircon duct to the head unit so it’s all hidden.