PDA

View Full Version : Another fatal shark attack

the ferret
14th July 2012, 10:15 PM
Saw last week where they had tagged a white pointer in WA's lower south west a while back.
Saw the tracking of it up the coast heading north. dot, dot, dot all the way upto Mullaloo.
TODAY a 24 year old surfer taken by a white pointer at Wedge Island.
Why didn't they shoot it instead of tagging it??
Tagging only tells where it's been, not who it's going to kill.
Flame suit on, but it is very thick.
Extreme condolences to the young man's family and his friends.
This should not happen..
The ferret.

threedogs
14th July 2012, 10:31 PM
I hear what your saying and it is sad a young fellow has lost his life, but you can't go around killing any sharks because they might kill someone. they are protected and WA seems to be getting it's fair share of attacks recently. Don't know what the answer is but killing sharks isn't it

Condolences To his family and friends as well

ex diver as well

oncedisturbed
14th July 2012, 10:35 PM
condolences.

I have a good understanding and agreement with sharkies - I don't go in the water and they don't come on land :)

All food chain, greenie thoughts aside - my standing line (jks) is "the only good shark, snake or croc is a dead one"

growler2058
14th July 2012, 10:48 PM
Ya know I ain't no greenie but. I used to dive an spearfish a lot as a squid and totally accepted I'm in their playground and what happens happens it's the food chain yeah! Condolences to the family also

Clunk
14th July 2012, 10:56 PM
My condolence 's also............. I love being in the water and enjoy canoeing and surfing when i get the chance, or even just a swim. I go in the water knowing the risks involved but if anything happened to me I would hope that no rediculous hunt went on to kill the shark that had me. And no, im no greenie, far from it, I just try to respect this place we live in and what eever else that lives in it......... apart from the Damn mozzies and flies lol

NissanGQ4.2
14th July 2012, 10:59 PM
Sorry Rod, No Sympathy here. Why should it not happen?????

Don't want to be attacked by a shark......Don't swim in the water............. Pretty simple really

growler2058
14th July 2012, 11:02 PM
Every morning as the sun comes up I'm here in another country many miles from home taking a swim out 300m and the thought is always there ay "frok I would hate to be taken far from home but gee it's nice swim" We do what we do coz we like/love it ay!
On the other side of the coin I'd love to catch a Noah on a rod n reel

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

the ferret
14th July 2012, 11:03 PM
Last week, the West newspaper told how a Great white had been tagged down south. they posted a pic of where it had been, very close to the beaches around perth.
The shark had been within 300 m of most beaches yet I saw no warnings posted on the TV or newspapers.
It is obvious to me that it was heading north, and two blokes had a close encounter with a White pointer at Geraldton last weekend.
If the shark that took this young man is the tagged one, will we ever know......... I don't think so.

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/001-6.jpg

threedogs
14th July 2012, 11:06 PM
Yo growler, ever see those dudes in 4x4 with seats on the bullbars catching White Pointers?? from the beach

ditto on the Mozzies what a terrible way to go

growler2058
14th July 2012, 11:10 PM
Ferret I hear ya and it shoulda been broadcast most definitely. Irresponsible not to let the public know and give them the choice, swim or no swim!!!

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

Clunk
14th July 2012, 11:10 PM
Well you would think that if there was a tagged shark in the area, that it would be reported so the public were more aware ........ I understand they tag to find out more about their patterns but surely the technology is there to use it as an early warning system

NissanGQ4.2
14th July 2012, 11:16 PM
What sort of warning does one need Rod, water = sharks, humans and sharks don't mix well, if you go in the water you may get bitten by a shark, which usually leads 2 death.

Does it make a difference if it was a tagged shark that killed him or not?

the ferret
14th July 2012, 11:55 PM
What sort of warning does one need Rod, water = sharks, humans and sharks don't mix well, if you go in the water you may get bitten by a shark, which usually leads 2 death.

Well,........ I think it does, because I think there could be more in the media stating that there was an increased risk along the WA coastline.
They can post fire danger and weather reports, surf reports, traffic reports, WHY NOT shark reports??
Cheers The ferret.

Clunk
15th July 2012, 12:02 AM
Yep, I agree with that one Rod...... it would help if there were reports stating if there were an increase in areas........ then the public can decide if they're still gonna take the risk or not.

the ferret
15th July 2012, 12:45 AM

In my opinion Yes.
Cheers the ferret.

jack
15th July 2012, 12:50 AM
I'm a regular ocean swimmer and diver and I know the risks. If I get taken that's my bad luck, I just hope it's quick. My family knows and accepts my views, I'm in their domain.
Let them live, they are now actually very rare and only trying to survive.
Condolences to the family.

Apollofish

Silver
15th July 2012, 07:51 AM
I'm a regular ocean swimmer and diver and I know the risks. If I get taken that's my bad luck, I just hope it's quick. My family knows and accepts my views, I'm in their domain.
Let them live, they are now actually very rare and only trying to survive.
Condolences to the family.

Apollofish

x2 on all points, except I am very nervous doing long surface swims in the ocean.

I used to do heaps of night dives in Sydney Harbour, Fairy Bower etc etc. I reckon a lot more sharks were aware of me, than I was of them, with my ill adapted human senses, and puny torch :-). They could have swum over and had a taste to find out what I was, but they didn't.

macca
15th July 2012, 08:30 AM
You would have to think it would be easy to set up a shark tracker web site where you could have a look if interested and make up your own mind about entering the water.

Sure as eggs come from chooks the scientist types wont want that because some will go looking for them and upset their natural life cycle, stuffing their studies!

Doesn't matter that it may have saved one of the 5 fatalities since October on the West Coast alone.

Macca

NissanGQ4.2
15th July 2012, 08:58 AM
Doesn't matter that it may have saved one of the 5 fatalities since October on the West Coast alone.

Macca

Not that they could of saved themselves by not going into the water in the first place.

Surfers / Swimmers know the risk they take entering the water, and I doubt any surfer would not go for a surf just because there was a sighting.

Regardless if there was a shark tracker website, there will still be deaths........how many sharks are there, how many are tagged?

For those in WA, probable the most useful for shark sightings: http://www.facebook.com/surflifesavingwa

If all else fails just kill all the sharks

NissanGQ4.2
15th July 2012, 07:17 PM
I just had a great idea Rod................Maybe we should just shoot the people that surf / swim @ beaches that sharks might live in rather than killing the sharks for being in there natural territory.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________

The beach where the attack occurred remains closed today but this has not stopped people venturing into the water near where the fatality happened.

“There was a lone surfer out there this morning…people that love the water and love waves, that’s what they live for, they weigh up the risks,” Mr Cappelluti said.

Source: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/surfer-taken-by-shark-north-of-perth/story-fndo486p-1226425990874

Reports of shark sighting spooks surfers
About 15 surfers who were in the water near Wedge Island this afternoon scrambled out quickly after a possible sighting of a shark.
Mr Cappelluti from the Fisheries Department said the report had not yet been confirmed but Fisheries officers would investigate it.
"A big group of surfers have just left the water after one saw a dark shadow," he said.
He did however mention that Fisheries officers had reported a pod of dolphins in the area earlier in the day.
He said the possible sighting was believed to have happened after 2pm slightly north of yesterday's fatal shark attack.
"As you can imagine, everyone is a bit spooked," Mr Cappelluti said.
The surfers were in the water despite the beach still being closed.
"The closer of beaches is more of a suggestion, we can't do much if people decide to enter the water," Mr Cappelluti said.

Source: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/order-to-destroy-massive-shark-that-killed-perth-surfer-ben-linden-20120715-223qd.html