PDA

View Full Version : Never again!!

mtnranges
14th July 2012, 07:18 PM
Hey all,

Well today was clutch day. I brought an 89 SWB safari a few weeks ago and the previous owner said the clutch was the only thing wrong with it, but that it still had a good 5 - 10000km on it. Well after a test drive I told him i would be surprised if I made the 350km trip home! after some negotiating I was the proud new owner and luckily for me I made it home :)

The brother in law is a part time mechanic as such and had access to a hoist so it was jacked up this weekend would be the weekend to do it. I decided it would be a good time to do all the diff oils/gbox and engine oils etc. I did abit of research on how easy it would be to do etc and it was funny to see what people said.

1 - They would take it to a workshop next time or
2 - They would take the engine out.

After today I would agree with both statements! We would of had it done in roughly 8 hours, but manifold studs broke.....not once but a second time just as we were doing a final tighten. Fun and games galore. Stoked to have it done and finally be able put the ol girl through her paces shortly.

Thanks to the forum knowledge base as well. invaluable :)

Grant

NissanGQ4.2
14th July 2012, 07:54 PM
I said the same thing 2 after I rebuild my auto gearbox on my GQ, but then again if I ever had 2 again, I'd probable still do it myself just 2 save on labour

Any pics for us Grant???

And good for you for trying it in the first place

mtnranges
15th July 2012, 05:27 AM
Thanks NissanGQ4.2,

Sorry no photos :( I did think about it but didn't get around to it. I agree with what you say though about doing it again......I'm a tight ass so I'd do it to save money and after doing it the once I've got a good idea on how to attack again, but if I didn't have access to a hoist and the gbox jacks I would probably send it to a workshop. I would love to hear/see if any one has pulled the box out and put it back in without have to do a bit of panel beating on the trans tunnel? I was adamant that we weren't going to beat up the old girl - but we could see any other way :(

macca
15th July 2012, 08:01 AM
Now you have done it this wont help, read or was told the gearbox has to be rotated to get it past the offending body part you probably reshaped.

Also remember something abot a small 25mm? body lift is enough to get it in/out.

Mechanics love it when they see the body blocks!

Good on you for getting it done mate.

Cheers Macca

mtnranges
15th July 2012, 09:45 AM
Yeah we did try and twist the box, but it was touch and go with the spigot on the fingers on the pressure plate - didn't want to do any damage etc. A small body lift would definitely be enough to clear the body as there's bugger all in it. For the people who do it without a hoist .....Your INSANE!!