PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone pre air filter

ShuttleVan1
14th July 2012, 12:25 PM
So I finally get some time and I unlatch the air filter in my 1991 GQ Shorty 4.2 Diesel. It is still clean after purchasing the car and parking it away for 6 months. I decide to check on the pre filter and I removed the metal cyclone and to my surprise it was empty (No filter) is this normal? I proceeded to hose down and wipe down the plastic parts and metal cyclone? Am I suppose to opeen it?

Does my car need one?
I cannot seem to open the cyclone, does it open? (I removed it off the truck)

ShuttleVan1
17th July 2012, 05:44 AM
Guys, my question is: Is there a filter that needs to be placed inside the funny Cyclone metal case?

45 views and no response???

Steve4wdin
17th July 2012, 07:32 AM
This brings back memories of my "navara" I had. and same question being asked time and time again on an other forum. The cyclone filter has no cartrige as such in it. It is by name a "pre" filter. It swirls the air like a cyclone dropping any large particals out and pushing the air into the main filter box. I personaly think they are a waste of time and room. Yes you can remove the "prefilter" BUT check where your air flow sensor is, I`m not sure on the patrol but the navara some models it had to be relocated. Again, not sure on the patrol but navara I just used a snorkel and pipe from a non prefilter model. Other guys made up a bit of flex pipe and retro fited into main air box. Hope this helps.

ShuttleVan1
17th July 2012, 07:53 AM
Thank-You sir, I was looking on ebay and they sell RYCO kits (2 oil filters, 1 Fuel, 1 Air and 1 Pre-Filter) I was just wondering if I should purchase the 4 piece kit or the 3 piece kit??? I guess you answered my question (No filter necessary) The manual states to check and change the PRE-Filter on a regular basis (i was trying to do that)