PDA

View Full Version : issues with petrol

ally
14th July 2012, 10:10 AM
Hello :)

I had a quick search for this, but couldn't find anything. Apologies in advance if it's been answered somewhere...

So I have a 92 TB4.2 on dual fuel (carby)
Long story short had an air leak- turned out to be the manifold gasket, mechanic fixed it up, said he fixed up some wiring things with the gas, flushed the coolant and replaced the fuel filter. it runs amazingly on the gas now...once it's warm haha.
But! now the petrol is hating on life. It is sluggish and while it's cold it does not like accelerating in 2nd. It's also running alot warmer than on the gas, the temp creeps up a little past half way (normally it will sit on quarter - i know half way aint bad, it's just unnerving haha) and the last few days i've had a little dripping puddle of coolant on the ground when I stop. It doesn't do it for too long, just ends up in a pool about the size of a laptop. It's on the drivers side right up the front..so radiator i would assume...

I would normally just replace the radiator and hoses and hopefully all would be good...but that's when I have the cash and it's not doing it on gas...

any ideas?? I need to run well on petrol as I have a rally trip coming up.

Thanks!
Ally

threedogs
14th July 2012, 12:28 PM
Take it back to mechanic and check to see it not dual fueling, as in trying to run on gas and petrol when on petrol at the same time, check timing as well

ally
15th July 2012, 12:07 PM
I now have a new issue to do with the water to worry about.
Changed the radiator hoses and decided to take out the radiator and give it a clean while i was there... wasn't too bad, a few bottom fins were a bit green but nothing too horrible. gave it a wash and ran the hose through it to make sure there weren't any leaks. all good.. put it back in, filled it up, took a drive to the servo to get the thermostat to open and that small drip from before has become a small flood. same spot (can't see it tho) but this time on gas... so i'm guessing its just the radiator is giving up.

it also had a bit of foam this evening, but i'm guessing thats just from the disintegrating fins on the bottom (they were washing out foam with the hose)

so i'll get a new radiator and see how the petrol goes after all of that. perhaps it was a Friday13 coincidence.

threedogs
15th July 2012, 12:13 PM
Also make sure there is no air in the system, you can get air locks in the converter
loosen the in and out hose on converter till all bubbles stop, or park on a hill nose up, use large coke bottle cut in half to fit in your radiator to raise your fill point.

GQ TANK
16th July 2012, 09:44 PM
Sounds like the mechanic has tuned it for gas - usually the dizzy is advanced.