PDA

View Full Version : Plugs and leads for TB42E on LPG

Winnie
13th July 2012, 09:25 PM
Hey guys me again.

Need new plugs and leads as these ones are getting on now, was looking into which plugs and leads would be suitable but I think I'm more confused now than I was before. Think I've sussed out that I need 8mm spiral leads, but the plugs have me scratching my head.
Apparently LPG requires a smaller gap, makes sense. But then somebody mentioned something about it needing to be a "heat range" colder? WOOSH that's gone straight over my head.
Can anybody explain that in layman's terms? Part numbers would be fantastic. Bosch have specific LPG plugs so I dunno if they'd be any good or not?
As always any advice is appreciated!

Cheers, Chris.

Bigrig
13th July 2012, 09:56 PM
Hey mate

Not sure on the make, but the plugs need to be "cold plugs" which is simply a temperature rating for spark or something - works better for LPG. The gap should be .38 - .39 also. Any reputable outlet will know what you mean by saying cold spark plugs. Search it on goggle and it will give you the details.

Others will have a better idea on brands etc ...

scbco
17th July 2012, 01:57 AM
Hello Chris make sure you get platinum or equivalent plugs as they are much longer lasting ( supposed to be 100 000 km but I change at about 70 000) as when your plugs wear out it tends to back fire . The plugs are not exactly cheap but worth it. From personal experience can be a bugger changing plugs on Nissan at No 6 cylinder in particular. I have a 1999 GU 4500 on LPG and previously had a 1993 GQ 4200 on LPG which my dad now owns. On a side note make sure you change your oil and filter at 5 to 6 thousand ks with a good quality oil ( I run Penrite LPG oil myself) as my dad used to work for BP as a technical control officer and had access to independent laboratory tests and oil starts to break down significantly from then. Some new cars say from the factory to do the first oil change at 15 000 km anyone who does so has rocks in their head as it is well and truly worn out by then.Also do not let your car sit idling for 10 mins warming up from cold as that is when the most wear on a motor occurs, the correct procedure is to start vehicle let engine build up oil pressure for about 30 seconds then drive off gently until it reaches operating temperature then you can give it as much stick as you want. You should also make sure to use full throttle at least once every drive to make the pistons reach the full extent of travel to stop a big ridge being worn at the top of the cylinder just before the end of full piston travel other wise one day you may floor it and find you shatter the pistons/rings when they hit the ridge ( it actually happened to a taxi driver locally who always took it easy on the throttle and let his son drive the car one day put his foot down and detonated the motor)

I am a self taught mechanic but my brother is a very good and I do mean very good not just because he is my brother, fully qualified mechanic, auto electrician and diesel mechanic.

Regards
Steve

UOTE=KRISTOFFA;245954]Hey guys me again.

Need new plugs and leads as these ones are getting on now, was looking into which plugs and leads would be suitable but I think I'm more confused now than I was before. Think I've sussed out that I need 8mm spiral leads, but the plugs have me scratching my head.
Apparently LPG requires a smaller gap, makes sense. But then somebody mentioned something about it needing to be a "heat range" colder? WOOSH that's gone straight over my head.
Can anybody explain that in layman's terms? Part numbers would be fantastic. Bosch have specific LPG plugs so I dunno if they'd be any good or not?
As always any advice is appreciated!

Cheers, Chris.[/QUOTE]

97_gq_lwb
17th July 2012, 09:49 AM
I personally won't use platnum tips as i have removed them to find the tip missing and so have many others they were ngk though wich i refuse to use any longer.
Just to complicate things even more for you read this.
http://holdenpaedia.oldholden.com/Spark_Plug_Indexing

and this
http://www.bosch.com.au/content/language1/downloads/Spark_Plug_LPG_A4_Brochure.pdf

threedogs
17th July 2012, 11:35 AM
As for your leads bigger is not always better, the big blue style leads up to 10mm I beleive are more a Wank factor and looks, you can get great leads for gas in 6mm, just look how thick modern cars and 4x4s are running, its called technology, This info came from guy who design leads for porche, ford, bmw, volvo the lot in fact, very cluey man

He was head of Bosch ignition systems