PDA

View Full Version : Severe loss of power in ZD30 Patrol

Conroy22
13th July 2012, 11:55 AM
In February 2012 I noticed a severe drop in power in my 2003 Patrol Wagon auto. The first thing I did was check the air filter. I had just had the fan belt changed and blamed it on something the garage had accidently disconnected during dooing this. When I opened the bonet I saw one of the air cleaner clips was off. When I took the cover off the chamber was full of insects, bits of plants, sand and dust. I carefully cleaned and vacumed all this stuff out and replaced the air filter. This made no difference. I then got the fuel filter changed. This also made no difference.

I then removed the MAF sensor and found it was covered with dust and stuff that had been sucked in because the clip was off. I cleaned the sensor with the special CRC compound. Nissan had previously told me cleaning a MAF sensor usually did not work. Anyway, it made no difference.

I then took the vehicle to my usual service garage and they checked the engine with their computer equipment. They found the Intercooler leaking oil. The design of this intercooler is very bad, the in and out sections are only clipped on. It was replaced with a refurbished unit which was welded. Still no change to the power problem.

After a few weeks it went back to the garage and the computer showed voltages on the MAF sensor wer way to high. A new MAF sensor was installed. Still no change in the power problem.

I then heard of a mechanic in Atherton that was trained by Nissan and was a "Nissan Expert". I took the vehicle to him and he had a quick look at it straight away. He got me to start it up after lifting the bonnet and told me to rev it up. He then pulled a small hose of and said to rev it again, sticking his finger over it as I reved the engine. He then said, "This is your problem, the waste gate solenoid valve is not working, so your turbo is not working also". In just a few minutes he had solved the problem. This part is not available from Nissan, it only comes with a turbo unit (at great expense). He managed to find a second hand one from a wrecker. It was fitted today the the vehicle now goes like a rocket! From long term non functioning of the turbo the gaskets are new leaking and need to be replaced.

Already a second person on another forum has had his Patrol fixed this way.

If you have this loss of power, get this solenoid valve checked out.

BillsGU
13th July 2012, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the good info. Its amazing how little some "experts" know. You take a car to a mechanic, auto place, air con shop, whatever - thinking that they know what they are doing. Some haven't got a clue - but are still happy to charge a huge sum for poor work.

Sir Roofy
13th July 2012, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the heads up mate
and a good write up shaw to help others out

threedogs
13th July 2012, 12:03 PM
Thats why I hate computer drven 4x4s, great to see you got sorted from someone who knows his stuff, you need to change so much stuff on the 3lt. DAWES< EGR block>catch can. Nissan should have done this from the start, and don't get me started on the front seat belts and X2 with BilsGU

threedogs
13th July 2012, 12:07 PM
That would make a great new thread, where all the good shops are where people actually know what they're doing.

Conroy22
14th July 2012, 08:49 AM
That's a good idea. why don't you get it going.

This is the guy that fixed mine. Clint Reghensani - Rego's Mobile Mechanical Services Pty Ltd, Atherton Qld, 0439 754 487.

Morton
15th July 2012, 07:23 PM
of course they're all in Queensland, does he have any mates in Sydney? lol

crossleon
24th January 2013, 11:01 AM
I just wondering what is this the solenoid that is located close to the air filter and has a few rubber tubes sticking out of it on a nissan patrol 3l turbo diesel wagon.

thanks
Leon

In February 2012 I noticed a severe drop in power in my 2003 Patrol Wagon auto. The first thing I did was check the air filter. I had just had the fan belt changed and blamed it on something the garage had accidently disconnected during dooing this. When I opened the bonet I saw one of the air cleaner clips was off. When I took the cover off the chamber was full of insects, bits of plants, sand and dust. I carefully cleaned and vacumed all this stuff out and replaced the air filter. This made no difference. I then got the fuel filter changed. This also made no difference.

I then removed the MAF sensor and found it was covered with dust and stuff that had been sucked in because the clip was off. I cleaned the sensor with the special CRC compound. Nissan had previously told me cleaning a MAF sensor usually did not work. Anyway, it made no difference.

I then took the vehicle to my usual service garage and they checked the engine with their computer equipment. They found the Intercooler leaking oil. The design of this intercooler is very bad, the in and out sections are only clipped on. It was replaced with a refurbished unit which was welded. Still no change to the power problem.

After a few weeks it went back to the garage and the computer showed voltages on the MAF sensor wer way to high. A new MAF sensor was installed. Still no change in the power problem.

I then heard of a mechanic in Atherton that was trained by Nissan and was a "Nissan Expert". I took the vehicle to him and he had a quick look at it straight away. He got me to start it up after lifting the bonnet and told me to rev it up. He then pulled a small hose of and said to rev it again, sticking his finger over it as I reved the engine. He then said, "This is your problem, the waste gate solenoid valve is not working, so your turbo is not working also". In just a few minutes he had solved the problem. This part is not available from Nissan, it only comes with a turbo unit (at great expense). He managed to find a second hand one from a wrecker. It was fitted today the the vehicle now goes like a rocket! From long term non functioning of the turbo the gaskets are new leaking and need to be replaced.

Already a second person on another forum has had his Patrol fixed this way.

If you have this loss of power, get this solenoid valve checked out.

boots
24th January 2013, 03:11 PM
Hi crossleon . That part is the vacuum control solenoid . Is yours a DI engine or CRD ? Do you have a boost guage fitted ?

threedogs
24th January 2013, 04:59 PM
Crossleon might be better to start your own thread or Mods could move this one
X 2 with Boots its the VAC solenoid

You need to fit a NAD kit

Dougo
12th February 2013, 09:46 PM
Thanks for this info - do you have the name of this guy in Atherton?

happygu
12th February 2013, 09:59 PM
Can you post up a picture of the solenoid and its position, as this will help everyone in the long run....