PDA

View Full Version : My 4.8ltr loves to drink

danielrusty
12th July 2012, 11:46 PM
Anyone know anything about lessening the amount of petrol my patrol drinks. Have read a little about this Air/fuel ration controller. Any other thoughts,mods or ideas on what can be done to improve economy would be greatly appreciated! Im sitting around 28ltrs / 100Kms.... I am running 35" mud tyres with a 4" lift and am in the midst of getting some on road AT's but dont believe the economy will decrease significantly with only these changes.

Rusty

jaxt
13th July 2012, 07:34 AM
Changing to AT tyres? maybe.
Changing the tyre diameter will definitely be more noticeable. Your current lift and whether you have roof bars/racks or drawers, accessories, etc will also affect economy...
Without knowing too much of what you have (ie added weight) and driving habits (ie was the 28l/100k figure calculated during city/town driving?) might give us more insight.
Changed air filter lately?
Going by what I read from this forum and the other one, the approximate average ranges are: (a minority get as low as 13-15l/100 but for this purpose take average)
Std ht and Std tyres = 17-23 ltrs/100 (hwy-town)
2" lift and 33" tyres = 19-25 lts/100 (" - ")
Yours at 28 with 4" and 35" combo and auto (I assume) sounds probable, others may have a different experience though and no doubt add to this.

my 2c

GQ TANK
15th July 2012, 01:56 AM
Dont drive it!!!!

We had 4.8's at work great trucks - expensive to feed.

Running smaller tyres will help

danielrusty
16th July 2012, 05:46 AM
I've done some calculations and i was sitting on 20/100 whilst using cruise control and on the open Hwy. I varied my driving style and ditched the cruise control and bettered my consumption by 3/100. I noticed that whilst in cruise control, there were more gear changes and also the accessory cant for see an approaching hill and so changes gears when its already struggling.

danielrusty
16th July 2012, 05:54 AM
My vehicle is a TB4.8L 2006- Petrol, snorkel, 4"Suspension Stuff & Superior Engineering, 315/75/16 (35") Mickey Thompsons MTZ's, Dual Wheel carrier, Twin Jerry Holder, Genuine Nissan Steel Winch Bar, WARN DX9000 Winch, DRC Fabrications Custom Rock sliders, Caged Boot, Upgraded Led lights & LED light bar, GME TX3100 UHF, Rhino Heavy Duty Racks, Cruise Control mod/Triptonic,