PDA

View Full Version : Has technology killed the modern 4x4 ???

threedogs
12th July 2012, 02:11 PM
Has technology killed the modern 4by with all the technology available today, old school 4bys only need a condensor and set of points in the glove box, hows it changed your thinking?????

Maxhead
12th July 2012, 03:03 PM
Mate, I think we need to move forward otherwise we'd still be in the stone ages...hahaha. The technology advances are a great thing for our vehicles. Small capacity engines throwing out huge amounts of power/torque.
Auto components are of high quality these days so nothing to stress about but yeah it is something else that can fail out bush and you'd need an engineering certificate just to know where to start looking.

Mechanical trouble is probably the most seen problem out in the sticks

My thoughts are, if technology is there to improve performance/drivebility then I'm 100% behind it. Heated seats, mirrors and all the other jazz I don't need but if you have the $$$ then go for it.

Stropp
12th July 2012, 03:04 PM
I can remember watching a show with Jack Absalom in black and white driving a EK holden evrywhere, didnt need 4wd and there are some places he went I would wager that some people would need diff locks and a 4wd to get there, as he said its all about reading the road and conditions and taking the appropriate action which a lot of people dont do!

threedogs
12th July 2012, 03:28 PM
Brad Newham used to have the servo at Birdsville years ago, then 4x4 shop in Bayswater and now in south Aust, he told me 90% of desert failures were due to computer failure [dust]. And as stropp said you don't need a 4by , as someone made it up Big Red in a HQ sedan, while all the 4bys were working out how to get uplined up down the bottom.. on the flip side guy in NSW has Challenge prepped Range Rover cost approx $200K took new supercharged one around his test track and stated it does everything my Comp truck does BUT BETTER, Go figure

Maxhead
12th July 2012, 04:43 PM
Brad Newham used to have the servo at Birdsville years ago, then 4x4 shop in Bayswater and now in south Aust, he told me 90% of desert failures were due to computer failure [dust]. And as stropp said you don't need a 4by , as someone made it up Big Red in a HQ sedan, while all the 4bys were working out how to get uplined up down the bottom.. on the flip side guy in NSW has Challenge prepped Range Rover cost approx $200K took new supercharged one around his test track and stated it does everything my Comp truck does BUT BETTER, Go figure

Not sure on the dust killing computers, most computers are or should at least be sealed I would have thought. Most solid state components and whole ecu's should be resin filled as well so not sure on that one but I'm not an expert . May be when they first came out that could be true.

I think we could be straying off the subject here as the main thread was about technology in 4x4 and not drive ability but I do agree you can take a 2wd just about anywhere you want to go,
Personally I have a 4wd to tow as I wouldn't want to have a 1.5t vehicle with 3 t behind it....just seems a bit unequal.lol . ohh yeah then I have one for a bit of fun as well...hahhaha

Anyway, vehicles are certainly not build like they used to and never will. Technology is here and will only advance so not much we can do but enjoy the benefits.

growler2058
12th July 2012, 04:54 PM
The mighty GQ td42 is the most technologically advanced vehicle I'll ever need and it also goes nearly anywhere in 2wd ;-)

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

lufkin
12th July 2012, 05:04 PM
Went and did border track last year in my father inlaws brand new kakadu prado. Most painful experience ever and it was because of technology. It has camera front and rear and in mirrors pointing down. With proximity sensors. They are what were the pain. Whole trip it was beeping at us because it thought we were going to hit stuff when going on tight tracks. Was ready to rip the speaker out of dash board. Other thing I had to laugh at. Was the computer in it. Let you pick the terrain. Sand/mud/rock. All that crap was sad really to think that's how 4x4 driving had become. And a shopping trolley had more clearance. End of rant lol

MQ MAD
12th July 2012, 07:36 PM
Mate, I think we need to move forward otherwise we'd still be in the stone ages...hahaha. The technology advances are a great thing for our vehicles. Small capacity engines throwing out huge amounts of power/torque.
Auto components are of high quality these days so nothing to stress about but yeah it is something else that can fail out bush and you'd need an engineering certificate just to know where to start looking.

Mechanical trouble is probably the most seen problem out in the sticks

My thoughts are, if technology is there to improve performance/drivebility then I'm 100% behind it. Heated seats, mirrors and all the other jazz I don't need but if you have the $$$ then go for it.

Small capacity engines forced fed to produce unreliable power doesnt sound like a technological advancement to me ....
GU 2.8 proves that point
The neighbours 3 L 4 potta hilux at 170 K , blew the engine , engine was 14 grand , then the turbo went south, another 4 odd grand
Not bad for a so called over expensive,late model high tech engine
New stuff is great,and theres some , the ford I6 engines other than head gasket failure,will go 800,000 ks and more
I think its well and good as technology is,its taken the driving away from driving
ABS, traction control,power steer,6 speed autos , blah blah blah,its good but its proven not to be as reliable as the less fancy stuff
Why do the old skool GQs still command what they are,surely the newer patrols are better, but demand for the oldies proves other wise
It bothers me new cars cost what they do and just dont go the distant as many an older version

AB
12th July 2012, 07:41 PM
I'm very old school as you all know and I'll always swear by the old saying...

KISS!

nissannewby
12th July 2012, 07:54 PM
I get to drive some of these new crop of 4wds around a mine site and know that they certainly arent built the way they use to be. Its a business thing really these big car companies dont make money by building a car that will last 20 years hence they arent built the same have a look at how many people by new cars every 5 years and as its been stated have a look at how much money they are making out of spare parts.

Silver
12th July 2012, 07:55 PM
At some point the cost of keeping petrol up to a TB42 will stop me taking Silver out for a play - long distance plays, anyway :-). The answer to that would be a TD42, which is the same age and relatively low tech.

I'll be fascinated to see how the CRDs last with different usage, eg short trips in suburbia -v- longer trips.

Maxhead
12th July 2012, 07:56 PM
I think there's a difference between technology for luxury and there's technology for motors to make better power, better performance, etc. the 2.8l was nothing as an example...lololol

The old school is good I agree and as I said they don't make cars as the used to.

How many of you have a fancy tv, dvd , etc, etc. It's all technology and here to stay. I think we need to move forward and accept technology is here and getting bigger and better.
Bring it on!!! hahahah

Just on the other note, why are the old school boys putting on new technology on their so great GQ's.......:) yes you Andy HAHAHHAH

Yendor
12th July 2012, 08:23 PM
I'm very old school as you all know and I'll always swear by the old saying...

KISS!

By that theory, we should all be living in caves and carrying clubs then. :D

AB
12th July 2012, 08:24 PM
I think there's a difference between technology for luxury and there's technology for motors to make better power, better performance, etc. the 2.8l was nothing as an example...lololol

The old school is good I agree and as I said they don't make cars as the used to.

How many of you have a fancy tv, dvd , etc, etc. It's all technology and here to stay. I think we need to move forward and accept technology is here and getting bigger and better.
Bring it on!!! hahahah

Just on the other note, why are the old school boys putting on new technology on their so great GQ's.......:) yes you Andy HAHAHHAH

All I have done to this beautiful engine is put the turbo on. The rest are accessories outside of the normal engine and drivetrain.

Turbos are hardly new technology, Nissan did run a few with stock turbo from factory on the GQ. No idea why they didnt produce more at the time though on the Td42.

In fact Turbo technology dates back to the early roman times where they stitched a large funnel on the horses mouth to draw more oxygen in before battles...LMAO

growler2058
12th July 2012, 08:29 PM
Wot Andy said x2 go the Romans hahahahhahahahahhaa

AB
12th July 2012, 08:29 PM
By that theory, we should all be living in caves and carrying clubs then. :D

For sure totally agree technology is great....Our generation is seeing some cool things but maybe we should of stayed back in the dark ages....I'm looking forward to our nuclear and biochemical war coming up next month too....Yay for technology!!!...LMAO

Yendor
12th July 2012, 08:35 PM
For sure totally agree technology is great....Our generation is seeing some cool things but maybe we should of stayed back in the dark ages....I'm looking forward to our nuclear and biochemical war coming up next month too....Yay for technology!!!...LMAO

Yes you can worry about WHAT might be coming or you can go back to the dark ages, where you put fuel (food) in you your mouth then you walk.

AB
12th July 2012, 08:47 PM
Ok....question time....(I'm liking this debate Rod...lol).

If you had 2 cars...

Brand new 1990 GQ TD42 N/A engine and a brand new 2.8/3 litre litre GU Patrol.

Drive continuously around Australia (fairly moderate/extreme type of offroading) from mud to salt to deserts through rivers and muddy holes to snow and salt water until one eventually had a "Fault" and had to stop.

Which one would most likely stop "Running" first?

Maxhead
12th July 2012, 08:48 PM
All I have done to this beautiful engine is put the turbo on. The rest are accessories outside of the normal engine and drivetrain.

Turbos are hardly new technology, Nissan did run a few with stock turbo from factory on the GQ. No idea why they didnt produce more at the time though on the Td42.

In fact Turbo technology dates back to the early roman times where they stitched a large funnel on the horses mouth to draw more oxygen in before battles...LMAO

Bwahahah, go the Romans!!! lol

Half your vehicle is a GU isn't it????

GU's are a more technology advanced vehicle , right???

At the moment I need something to bottle my farts as I reckon I could make any GQ fly like a rocket...HAHAHAHh

ok ok straying again

AB
12th July 2012, 08:52 PM
GU's are a more technology advanced vehicle , right???

Of course they are...No arguements there mate.

I'm not sure where this thread is going...lol...I guess 3dogs question is "Has technology killed the modern 4x4".

I'm guessing he is asking has technology killed the newer 4wd's in reliability, strength and longevity???

If the above is correct then my answer is yes!

Yendor
12th July 2012, 09:04 PM
Ok....question time....(I'm liking this debate Rod...lol).

If you had 2 cars...

Brand new 1990 GQ TD42 N/A engine and a brand new 2.8/3 litre litre GU Patrol.

Drive continuously around Australia (fairly moderate/extreme type of offroading) from mud to salt to deserts through rivers and muddy holes to snow and salt water until one eventually had a "Fault" and had to stop.

Which one would most likely stop "Running" first?

Don't know, how can anyone answer that?

The question is, what one might fail before I sell it and move on to the newer model?.

Finly Owner
12th July 2012, 09:04 PM
Good way to avoid technology, own vehicles made before 1990.......... and be happy with simple......except maybe HIDs...................

Tim

Maxhead
12th July 2012, 09:05 PM
Of course they are...No arguements there mate.

I'm not sure where this thread is going...lol...I guess 3dogs question is "Has technology killed the modern 4x4".

I'm guessing he is asking has technology killed the newer 4wd's in reliability, strength and longevity???

If the above is correct then my answer is yes!

I thought we're talking about Romans...hahahahah

AB
12th July 2012, 09:07 PM
Good way to avoid technology, own vehicles made before 1990.......... and be happy with simple......except maybe HIDs...................

Tim

Before and including 1990 don't you mean big guy...LMAO

Winnie
12th July 2012, 09:09 PM
I think he meant like, how they have traction control and knows to select what type of terrain you are on etc... It takes the fun out of it!

Tappa tappa

Maxhead
12th July 2012, 09:10 PM
Anyway a modern 4x4 needs technology to run and technology advancements will make them bigger and better.....

I think he meant like, how they have traction control and knows to select what type of terrain you are on etc... It takes the fun out of it!

Tappa tappa

If that's the case, then I reckon everyone should learn how to drive a 4x4(gear selection, line, speed, etc) without any help from the vehicle, this will tech them the proper way and not rely on something.

Yendor
12th July 2012, 09:10 PM
So, if you were in the market for a new fridge. You would buy one that was designed and built in the mid 80s?

AB
12th July 2012, 09:13 PM
So, if you were in the market for a new fridge. You would buy one that was designed and built in the mid 80s?

God no, I would get a bag of ice and dig a hole....lol

But if I was in the market for a reliable 4wd that will meet all my requirements (except for the crappy seats) then I would rather my GQ then a newer GU.

But that is only my decision of course...

aussiemale
12th July 2012, 09:14 PM
Technology does affect 4bys in my humble opinion. Those that know me know that I've got a MQ project on the blocks. Sure the parts I'm hunting are hard to come by (hoses etc) however have been asked WHY rebuild a MQ and not save my money and get a plastic fantastic.
My logic, and many will disagree, is I relate to the MQ as my son relates to me, as my 14 going on 30yr old son tests me, I let him know that he's approaching the line and he gets the hint to back off. Just as when I'm bouncing like an idiot in the MQ, she lets me know when I'm pushing the boundaries before I break something letting me know to back off.
New vehicles are like some of the kids nowadays, have no line to let them know what the boundaries are and when the line has been crossed, too late, it's broken.

NissanGQ4.2
12th July 2012, 09:24 PM
Don't know, how can anyone answer that?

The question is, what one might fail before I sell it and move on to the newer model?.

If that is the question then it would be a GU that would fail first, Know of a few patrol owners to buy a GQ, upgrade 2 a newer model being the GU then upgrade back down 2 a GQ *LMAO*

And yes I would buy a fridge build in the mid 80's, if its still working 20 years latter I know it was built 2 last... not like the fridges of 2day, lucky 2 get a year out of anything built these days.

Yendor
12th July 2012, 09:30 PM
Let's face it guys, apart from the electronics there is not much difference between the GQ and GU (don't forget the GQ 4.2 EFI).

Andy, I'm sure if a GU 4.2TD had of come up at the right price, you would have been all over it.

AB
12th July 2012, 09:31 PM
Let's face it guys, apart from the electronics there is not much difference between the GQ and GU (don't forget the GQ 4.2 EFI).

Andy, I'm sure if a GU 4.2TD had of come up at the right price, you would have been all over it.

Yeah I would of mate but they are outside my budget. However I don't like the size of GU's. If I could somehow put the interior of a GU which I love inside the GQ then that would be a winner...lol

Yendor
12th July 2012, 09:32 PM
If that is the question then it would be a GU that would fail first, Know of a few patrol owners to buy a GQ, upgrade 2 a newer model being the GU then upgrade back down 2 a GQ *LMAO*

And yes I would buy a fridge build in the mid 80's, if its still working 20 years latter I know it was built 2 last... not like the fridges of 2day, lucky 2 get a year out of anything built these days.

I will send you some matches so you can light your candles. :D

Maxhead
12th July 2012, 09:36 PM

We all know everything was built a lot better and built to last years ago but it doesn't mean you don't move forward when new technology appears.

Do you still have a vhs instead a dvd or hdd?
B/W tV over new colour LCD?

list can go on...

hold on, you just posted that on a lappy or pc or table or phone and not an engraving in a bit of stone like the stone ages ...hahahhahaha

AB
12th July 2012, 09:49 PM
We all know everything was built a lot better and built to last years ago but it doesn't mean you don't move forward when new technology appears.

Do you still have a vhs instead a dvd or hdd?
B/W tV over new colour LCD?

list can go on...

hold on, you just posted that on a lappy or pc or table or phone and not an engraving in a bit of stone like the stone ages ...hahahhahaha

Laptop....pffft, who needs technology...lol

Sent from my iRock, 5800 B.C

nissannewby
12th July 2012, 10:33 PM
Most of the technology that is in the newer cars has been around for a very long time inc common rail its just now its more affordable to be mass produced. I have driven these you beaut common rail v8 jobbies and find them to be nowhere near as good as my 04 GU with only a 3" exhaust and me tinkering with it a little. My fuel economy is better, servicing is cheaper, repairs are cheaper, driving wise my GU certainly pulls better and it only cost me 20k where as the v8 things the base model is arounf the 60k mark.

MQ MAD
13th July 2012, 10:13 AM

I had many an MQ/MK and though yippie for nissan reliability, got the missus to jump camp from toymota as well, so win win
But i wanted a GQ and couldnt find one at the time,so we went for the GU
Was alright for what it was,was only a few years old, then came the big wallet hammering ....
Certainly turned me of the brand for awhile, but alas bought me the best GQ i could find
Best thing i ever done....yeah its thirsty but its not a diahatsu charade is it ???,its a 2.5 T lump of non areodynamic mass weight goin thru the air
We have and are still looking at upgrading to something newer,but i cant find anything new thats as cheap to repair,parts avaliability,and i dont have a science degree

As for the technology in 4bies ???
The wifes old bosses dad bought some high tech fancy range rover or something, went off road the computer had a bad day,so heading down a steep hill and system shut down,no control,slid into a tree
Technology itself , good and bad
Ive about 20 mobile fones here ,,that need upgrading every heartbeat

I just threw out the other month 5 good working tellies as they wernt digital compatable,and even then i cant get every channel,yay for technology

Bob
13th July 2012, 10:27 AM
Oh for the days when you could remove a Head off a Motor,Do a Valve Grind,Replace Head and sit on Mudguard with your feet in the Engine Bay and adjust the tappets whilst the Motor was running .
It was just as easy to replace Big End Bearings,Rings etc.
Now I open the Bonnet and about the only thing I can do is check the Oil Level

Chris79
14th July 2012, 08:42 AM
I dont think technology has killed the modern 4wd, I think the buyer demographic have.
Unfortunately knowone wants a 4wd to actually go off-road in these days so they dont bother designing them to do so.
Of the only 5 new 4wds on the market that would suit my needs, 4 of them have throwbacks to the 80's - 90's lol.

New technology in 4wds can make them very capable, Jeeps quadradrive 2 system for example is very close to twin locked performance but does not require driver input at all.

macca
14th July 2012, 09:24 AM
Now I open the Bonnet and about the only thing I can do is check the Oil Level

They make it simple now, all the yellow plastic bits are the ones we can touch!!!

Funny the dipstick has a yellow end to pull it out but the oil filler cap on the engine is black, what am I going to do?????

Winnie
14th July 2012, 09:41 AM
Get a very small funnel and pour it down the dipstick hole

Tappa tappa

growler2058
14th July 2012, 09:44 AM
They make it simple now, all the yellow plastic bits are the ones we can touch!!!

Funny the dipstick has a yellow end to pull it out but the oil filler cap on the engine is black, what am I going to do?????

Ahhh see nissan don't think you can be trusted to get it right so you're not allowed to open the filler cap and top up you gotta take it to them and they'll do it for a gazillion $

macca
14th July 2012, 09:50 AM
Roflmao .

NissanGQ4.2
14th July 2012, 01:07 PM
Unfortunately knowone wants a 4wd to actually go off-road in these days so they dont bother designing them to do so.

Might be more the case that it is getting harder to find places to 4WD legally, and due to the rising cost of fuel, travelling a long distance just to go for a play is less appealing..............Well that's the case in my neck of the woods.

aussiemale
14th July 2012, 05:23 PM
Like also the fact on the new vehicles they have signs on it warning it's "DANGER HOT", on the MQ, the hot parts is where your skin sticks to the motor the 1st time, 2nd time..well, that's your fault for being a bloody idiot!!