PDA

View Full Version : rb30 carb need more power

healy
11th July 2012, 11:18 PM
so i've got an rb30 patrol bought 3 months ago stock done alot of mods(body/mechanical). i've rebuilt the head got a reco carb and a new aluminium rad. so i wanna keep the car. extractors and exhaust are not really gonna give me the power i want. is turbo on the carb a good way i've asked one bloke previosly and he said there no good but thats only one opinion. or am i best of getting a vl or 31 skyline to grab the injection set up and does anybody no whats exactly gotta be changed for the efi conversion? and how much i would roughly be looking at cost wise?

Robo
12th July 2012, 02:14 AM
Cant tell you $$ as there is always another little thing to get or do if ya follow.
then there's the matter of how well you want to do it.
your budget.
how much are you going to do yourself or pay someone start to finish.

But yes VL turbo is the go if you wish to stay with RB30.
you can get way more power than carby this way.
personally not a fan of rb30 but you can get reasonable power without breaking the bank.
and plenty of rb30t on the market 2nd hand.
but remember 2nd hand usually means worn out or on the way out.
or hard to find a good one at the right $$ given the ageing affect.
cheers

97_gq_lwb
12th July 2012, 09:34 AM
Rb30's are a great motor they can produce a lot of power with the right mods Though Not really the ideal choice in a big heavy 4wd .
You can swap the injection on to your engine basically inlet manifold and accessories and dizzy etc then you need an electric fuel pump ecu ad wiring.
Plenty of choices about for power have a read of this.
http://www.streetcommodores.com.au/images/tech/PDF/119-122%20TECH.pdf

taslucas
12th July 2012, 12:57 PM
There's a few threads around here with a bit more info. Just use the search function top right of the screen. I'm on my phone at the moment so cant paste the links.

Tap, crackle, pop

GQ TANK
14th July 2012, 12:27 AM
If you go efi use a skyline set up the efi wiring is seperate.

Also consider going stright gas and turbo (gas research carby)

have you done the heater mod to the carby - it gives you a little bit more power.

Cost - how long is a piece of string.

Cost - are you capable / going to do all the work? or pay someone. Do you have the tools, skills and time.

Once you start moding you will be fore ever moding.

healy
18th July 2012, 10:22 PM
If you go efi use a skyline set up the efi wiring is seperate.

Also consider going stright gas and turbo (gas research carby)

have you done the heater mod to the carby - it gives you a little bit more power.

Cost - how long is a piece of string.

Cost - are you capable / going to do all the work? or pay someone. Do you have the tools, skills and time.

Once you start moding you will be fore ever moding.

Are turbo carbies any good?? I've got a full gas set up sitting in the back yard but was quoted 1grand to get installed and engineered

97_gq_lwb
18th July 2012, 10:43 PM
Turbo carby = tuners nightmare.

healy
18th July 2012, 11:00 PM
Turbo carby = tuners nightmare.

That what I thought

GQ TANK
19th July 2012, 08:04 PM
My understanding is that a gas research carby and turbo are nnot too hard to tune.