PDA

View Full Version : What motor have you got, looking to replace my 4.5 petrol

Mudboss
11th July 2012, 07:21 PM
I got a 98 GU patrol with a 4.5 petrol (TB45), the poor old girl is getting a bit sad (and Thirsty). Im only getting 113JKW out of her.

Been asking around for any idears on a good petrol motor thats reasomly good on juice (Im not diluded in the fact that petrols are allways gonna be thirsty).

was thinking of a 5.7 gen 3,

Also if anyone has done it befor and how hard is it to get legal in south australia.

Or if anyone has any good idears or know of were or if i can get a convertion kit n how hard they are to fit.

Thanx People

4by
12th July 2012, 11:28 PM
Think marks 4wd adaptors do a v8 kit. Otherwise might be cheaper to rebuild the 4.5 and do a few mods.....

threedogs
12th July 2012, 11:44 PM
Cost you around $15 for a LS1 conversion engineered, looks great in the engine bay, Marks have everything you'll want and great backup , just ring and usually Mark will talk you through it.

nissannewby
13th July 2012, 02:54 AM
Marks do the kit but you will save yourself a lot of coin if you source all the bits yourself and do a lot of the work you could get that figure under 10k. You will need some of the adaptors from marks but engine box etc you should be able to source yourself.

Mudboss
20th July 2012, 12:29 PM
Checked out marks 4x4 adaptors, $8,100 for all the kits to put a gen 3 in, thats not including the motor. so i might give the old 4.5 a birthday. anyone Know of a joint that do mods for th TB45.

Ben-e-boy
20th July 2012, 12:41 PM
the tb can be a great engine, Instead of doing a conversion give her a freshen up, lower the compression and whack a turbo on it, if there is anything to come from bigrigs build is that you will see a dramatic increase in efficiency and power when needed

threedogs
20th July 2012, 02:35 PM
Put a 350 Chev in my last 4x4 for $5000, bit more if using LS1-2. Buy a wrecked V8 use what you want and sell the wreck back to them, could work out a price before hand with wrecker

97_gq_lwb
20th July 2012, 03:21 PM
Turbo the 4.5 you know you want to lol
Or if you go the chev atleast factor in the cost of rebuilding it properly and having it blueprinted balanced etc as from the factory they are a lucky dip engine .
But plenty of decent reliable precision built after market parts are available at competitive prices.

The BigFella
20th July 2012, 03:40 PM
I am in the exact same predicament, I have chosen to rebuild the 4.5 with some trick performance options.
There are plenty of performance mods in the States for the 4.5, I have already ordered a cam, valves and springs!
I already have extractors and big bore exhaust, bottom end will be blue printed and balanced.
Pistons will also come from the states, most likely forged due to the work load these endure.
Ill keep you posted as we do the rebuild, I bought a second engine to rebuild so we can take the time to get it right first time!

MEGOMONSTER
20th July 2012, 04:50 PM
Not that this is what I am gonna do but I have been following this thread and I had a dream last night and I put in a Mercerdes supercharged 6.3lt AMG motor

4by
20th July 2012, 07:49 PM
I've been looking to fit a turbo to my 4.5, but just found out it's not legal and insurance wont cover me. So I called 5 vehicle engineers and the turbo mod must be emission compliant. So to do it legally they say there are 2 options. Either buy a turbo kit that is emission compliant with a certificate, or if I fit my own turbo I have to have it emission tested (bout $2,500). Then get it engineered to pass roadworthy, rego and insurance. A costly task either way.
Just thought I would mention it if your considering having it legal or not.
Think I'll have to stick with some minor mods and a good dyno tune for now.... :(

Mudboss
21st July 2012, 01:33 PM
HAHA love the merc idear. I dont mind the wireing or mounting just worried bout the flywheel, clutch and shaft convertion. Thort about a turbo but havent looked into it to much yet.
So BEN -e BOY you recon i can get better fuel ecconamy out of a turbo? iv runnin about 26L/100 which sux.

"The big feller" I was gonna do the same , buy another motor that way the car isnt off the road that much. I know its a bit of a pain in the ass but would you be able to send me any information as ur willing, on contacts of were you getting your pats from ,work done or any companys your going through, that would be a great help, thanx.

Mudboss
21st July 2012, 01:36 PM
just read the post about the turbo legality, have you found a ket yet at all? ill have a look around aswell thanx.

4by
21st July 2012, 01:45 PM
Still checking things out with turbo legalities. Did a thread here > http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?13259-TURBO-4.5-4.2-Engineer...keepin-it-legal

There are some kits for about $5,000-$6,500 but I'm waiting to hear back if they are emission and pollution certified. Bit exxy on price as you can buy and fit it for probably half that. Will chase up some pollution testers during the week.

nissannewby
21st July 2012, 02:45 PM
Theres no reason why you couldnt get 16-18/100 with a well setup turbo

The BigFella
21st July 2012, 05:27 PM
HAHA love the merc idear. I dont mind the wireing or mounting just worried bout the flywheel, clutch and shaft convertion. Thort about a turbo but havent looked into it to much yet.
So BEN -e BOY you recon i can get better fuel ecconamy out of a turbo? iv runnin about 26L/100 which sux.

"The big feller" I was gonna do the same , buy another motor that way the car isnt off the road that much. I know its a bit of a pain in the ass but would you be able to send me any information as ur willing, on contacts of were you getting your pats from ,work done or any companys your going through, that would be a great help, thanx.

not a problem at all, when we start collecting the parts needed Ill send you some details.