PDA

View Full Version : Muddy Carpet solution - Ideas?

AB
11th July 2012, 03:14 PM
Ok, It's fair to say that I love muddy offroading and deep holes and crossings.

I promised myself I wouldn't do it again but I simply can't help myself when I see a deep crossing...lol

My entire underlay is drenched and I'm sick of pulling it up, drying and the smell of 17 wet dogs and the mold odor is not pleasant, so.....

What have people done to overcome this?

Obviously remove it all but It's nice to have carpet and the insulation as well.

I have an idea to cut the carpet out on the floor and firewall/footwell area, remove the insulation and glue the carpet to conveyor belt rubber to keep the nice carpet inside and for heat/sound factors.

You will obviously be left with a carpet cut line from the floor to the gearbox area but if cut correctly on the bend it might not be too bad.

When it gets muddy/wet just take them out and gerni clean, dry in sun, etc...

Could also do the same thing for the entire rear section where the drawers sit on too.

Any comments or advice appreciated!

nissannewby
11th July 2012, 03:19 PM
Remove it. I know you said not to. The other way is to put some of that heat/sound proof stick on sheeting in and then get some vinyl.

97_gq_lwb
11th July 2012, 03:23 PM
I just sprayed the floor with deadener ghernied the carpet and put it back in i ripped out the water soaking underlay crap.

Bob
11th July 2012, 03:23 PM
Grow Up RAFLMAO

threedogs
11th July 2012, 03:37 PM
Im with NissanNewby then put in those sandgrabba full rubber mats only about $ 250 for front and $350 F/R. They even have cargo area. might be worth a look

AB
11th July 2012, 03:52 PM
Grow Up RAFLMAO

Jeesh...Who let the fun police in...lol

Yeah I know Bob, but what can I say, I love it!!!

Might have to sacrifice luxery for practicality by the sounds of it gents!!!

Woof
11th July 2012, 03:58 PM
Check the depth first, ya Wally...hahahahahaha

Winnie
11th July 2012, 03:59 PM
Hahaha you're out of control. That's the exact reason why I don't do deep crossings, as much as I'd love to it's just not worth it.

Tappa tappa

threedogs
11th July 2012, 04:02 PM
gotta agree with the others, ends up costing a fortune, diffs,radiators, alternators and you're worried about the carpet Duh where's Wally LOL

Bob
11th July 2012, 04:05 PM
You are not getting much sympathy here mate.

Rip out the Carpets and replace with Vinyl.

Then all you have to do is hose it out when you get home

AB
11th July 2012, 04:08 PM
Bunch of blouses in this forum...LMAO.

You all should of bought one of these instead of a Patrol...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/07/18.jpg

AB
11th July 2012, 04:09 PM
Check the depth first, ya Wally...hahahahahaha

I did check...It was good to go...LMAO

threedogs
11th July 2012, 04:14 PM
Then you can fit those S/S bathroom style one way drain plugs, easy as. Most Comp trucks have these, no water no smell just wet dog in cargo area. Could paint floor with brushable pitch beforehand, giving you pearls here AB

97_gq_lwb
11th July 2012, 04:44 PM
Makes me wonder why some people drive a 4wd at all.
I love the mud holes.

Sir Roofy
11th July 2012, 09:37 PM
up to bunnings get some of that green nylon grass looking stuff will brighten the interior up and easy to hose off
when you get home

my third 256
12th July 2012, 09:33 AM
paint floor withsound dedener then put in boat carpet the you will only have a fishy smell

97_gq_lwb
12th July 2012, 10:40 AM
What about being the guinea pig and trying that spray on rubberised stuff they use as ute liner

nissannewby
12th July 2012, 10:46 AM
Bunch of blouses in this forum...LMAO.

You all should of bought one of these instead of a Patrol...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/07/18.jpg

I have no carpet or nothing in the ute AB for the same reason. I must say its good in winter :). Have had water in their many a time a nice little hose and some old towels and right as rain

AB
12th July 2012, 10:51 AM
Do you find it louder and hotter in the cab?

97_gq_lwb
12th July 2012, 10:55 AM
I could be tempted into a smart car if it was like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiNr2plofKE&feature=related
I wonder if it would fit in the back of the patrol lol

nissannewby
12th July 2012, 01:16 PM
Do you find it louder and hotter in the cab?

It is a tad warmer but I couldnt tell the difference noise wise.

AB
12th July 2012, 01:20 PM
It is a tad warmer but I couldnt tell the difference noise wise.
Yeah I guess with our exhausts it doesnt really matter...LMAO

nissannewby
12th July 2012, 01:22 PM
Yeah especially in my ute cos it drops about half a foot behind the cab

threedogs
12th July 2012, 01:23 PM
Don;t like drain plugs in the floor, easy as mod, great for GQ's with low care factor

taslucas
12th July 2012, 01:30 PM
Makes me wonder why some people drive a 4wd at all.
I love the mud holes.

EEEGGGSSSAACCERY! Lol

Tap, crackle, pop

mqturbo
27th July 2012, 10:39 PM
i was gunna say lino but yea vinyl do it

the ferret
27th July 2012, 10:50 PM
Rip the carpet out, replace it with wheat bags ta go 4by'n, If ya wanna go ta the drive in and have a pash, drop the nice clean carpet back in, She'll just love ya fer the extra special treatment, a hamburger and coke will seal the deal.
I don't wanna know the outcome Andy.
Cheers, the ferret.

growler2058
27th July 2012, 10:57 PM
Get over it!! Rip it all out and listen to the song and whispering sweet nothings of a GQ with no inso hahahahahahahaha i did!! Stops you from falling asleep on the long trips :-)

aussiemale
29th July 2012, 08:15 AM
I don't have that issue, mind you that is because I've got a MQ that was made for off-roading, not for comfort so it doesn't have electric this, carpet that, coils there and don't forget the box of tissues on the dash that later models have.:smileyvault-cute-bi

DX grunt
29th July 2012, 08:28 AM
Rip the carpet out, replace it with wheat bags ta go 4by'n, If ya wanna go ta the drive in and have a pash, drop the nice clean carpet back in, She'll just love ya fer the extra special treatment, a hamburger and coke will seal the deal.
I don't wanna know the outcome Andy.
Cheers, the ferret.

Exactly! Rip the carpet out BEFORE you go mud swimming and put it back in AFTER you clean your truck out when you get home.

Try some Glen 20 to de-germ it. Remembering of course, to read and comply with all the safety instructions on the can.

If that doesn't work buy a GU DX ....hose in.....hose out... lol

Take care and enjoy out there.

Rossco