PDA

View Full Version : Running cable through firewall

lufkin
10th July 2012, 04:13 PM
Hi guys just wondering if anyone would know where would be best to run a 0 gauge cable through the firewall. If it helps it's a 99 GU 2.8 manual. Thanks

scotty83
10th July 2012, 04:31 PM
wow that is very large. Only spot i can think of (viewing from an 3.0L) is behind the engine is a bunch of wires (harness pack) that goes through a large rubber pod that you could cut open on top and feed through. Not sure if it would be quite big enough though. Where are you trying to get it to?

threedogs
10th July 2012, 04:53 PM
Thinking like Scotty, but why so thick????

lufkin
10th July 2012, 04:56 PM
Yeah the wires overkill back in my younger days I ran a big wank factor stereo which required it. I'm now more mature (cough) and the wire is sitting around collecting dust and I want to run power to rear of car for stuff and thought instead of buying new cable. Might aswell reuse what I've already paid for kinda thing

threedogs
10th July 2012, 05:03 PM
Fair enough, why not run it along the chassis rail and come up through the rubber grommet under rear 1/4 panel?

lufkin
10th July 2012, 05:13 PM
That sounds like a plan. Basically going to run it to rear then I have a distribution block which will take 0gauge in then has about 5 4-8gauge outs on it. So will put plugs in for fridge/Anderson plug. Cigarette lighter just the usual stuff. Another question I hear lots that the earths are terrible. What would be easiest way to better the earths. I have plenty of this 0 gauge so might aswell upgrade earths too yeah?

AB
10th July 2012, 05:17 PM
This is slightly dodgy but you can run it through the holes in the back left top corner (passenger side) of the engine bay and tap into the large grommet that runs the wires for the passenger door into the vehicle. Then run it as normal inside...

I can assure you that the door will not be in the way of the wire, just make sure there is no slack from the engine bay into the vehicle as you are making a slightly curved set up.

threedogs
10th July 2012, 05:18 PM
Great use that cut out on the left hand side in the back, Things in there to cable tie Dist. block. your right sounds like a plan, keep us updated

lufkin
10th July 2012, 05:23 PM
Cheers guys. Damn you all for the quick replies. Now I have no excuse to get comfy on the couch

scotty83
10th July 2012, 07:19 PM
agree with the rear quarter panel grommet. that is where i was heading with my question. large plug there.

taslucas
10th July 2012, 08:07 PM
Hi Lufkin, Here is a thread with a few more options......http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?10191-Where-to-run-wires-through-firewall

Ben-e-boy
10th July 2012, 09:19 PM
one other thing you can try is drill a hole 20-25mm and put a gland in, these are commonly used in the electrical field they are water tight (to incredible depths nothing you would see in a car) and readily available from any electrical supplier any where

http://www.cabac.com.au/products/glands/nylon-metric-thread/gn20s

lufkin
10th July 2012, 09:44 PM
well ive been busy note its not finished, but i took random happy snaps

my work light fit straight through that grommet hole so that was easy, just had to follow the light
picture of distribution block isnt how it actually is, was just so anyone interested knew what i meant, its much neater now and hidden, the block is in the back panel and from there i will run anderson plug to rear of car and what not. will add more when my anderson plugs arrive

cheers everyone

Old Wal
11th July 2012, 06:42 PM
0 gauge cable is going to carry plenty of amps for you - but as you say why waste what you already have. I have ran cabling along chassis rails over the years and a trick I have used is to run my cables through some garden hose of the correct ID for additional protection ( hate wiring shorting out ). It IS a bit fiddly. I just cut the hose ( preferably the neighbour's -just joking ! ) to length , feed the cabling through and after all is in place & secured I generally squirt some silicon down the ends of the hose to keep the crud out. If at any stage you need to withdraw the cable you can easily ( carefully ) split a few inches of each end of the hose and cut the silicon seal off. Naturally you can use that convoluted split tubing if you want. Of course you are fusing this cable at the battery - electrical fires are no joke.

lufkin
11th July 2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks for tip about hose and yep I have a decent fuse. Just waiting on these Anderson plugs to arrive to finish the job sigh shouldn't be long till they are here