PDA

View Full Version : NEV the nissan

threedogs
9th July 2012, 07:42 PM
Plenty done, on going project. mainly built for camping with some high country potential. next mod is a satin finish stainless steel snorkel and a front Pro lockers. I'll try and get some pics of NEV in action
Can anyone tell what the colour is called???

I'll post some pics soon of some custom knives I make, some are Damascus others 440 S/S

Maxhead
9th July 2012, 07:59 PM
No idea on the colour but the truck looks great. You'll love the Pro lockers too

growler2058
9th July 2012, 08:01 PM
Well I'm colour blind so at a guess I'd say pink hahahahahahahahaha

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wtdvtm
Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

nissannewby
9th July 2012, 09:15 PM
Champagne possibly could maybe be called tungsten Im sure my GU is the same colour

Winnie
9th July 2012, 09:19 PM
Give Nissan a call with the VIN number and they'll be able to tell you as well as everything else about the vehicle.

Tappa tappa

threedogs
9th July 2012, 10:01 PM
Had 2 x Pro lockers in last truck, transformed the whole truck. Actually made it boring to drive it just went everywhere at 1500 rpm. 350 chev helped a lot.
Growler you're forgiven as eyesight must be shot by now hey. I've heard Pewter or Sandstorm, think I'll stick with pewter

threedogs
14th July 2013, 09:57 AM
Only bumped so I can find for snorkel pics, I'll get pics
of the different processes. Marking ,cutting etc.
Since top pics only made and fitted faux rear wheel and roof platform
The Faux wheel holds recovery gear and some day trip camping gear like stove etc.
Recessed light bar not wired yet but will be a reverse light for night drives,
Getting there Pro lockers are next Front only running off a 3 gallon air tank.
Once I finish my rear cargo shelf I might be able to fit tank and compressor there.
Only cause a member just drowned his fitted under passenger seat. Looking forward to monitoring any changes the Snorkel May make.
Was stock STD when purchased off little lady over Pakenham way, 5/04

Winnie
14th July 2013, 10:15 AM
What's the point of the faux rear wheel? Now you've gotta carry the great big dirty spare inside.

Trying to use Motorculture

threedogs
14th July 2013, 10:28 AM
Whats the point of having a 4x4 if your gunna get it muddy all the time.
If and when I get a muddy flat I'll deal with it hasn't happened in 32 years so far'
so I'll take my chances thanks for your concern though

Winnie
14th July 2013, 10:41 AM
I just think it's a waste of space having the big spare wheel inside. I've got a big PVC bag on my spare which does the same job as what you've got and it doesn't take up any room.

Trying to use Motorculture

threedogs
14th July 2013, 01:05 PM
@winnie I was the first to make those rear bags mine was called a "Track Sack" if you remember or not it doesn't matter.
It was made from shadecloth and very durable, even made a smaller one for the bulbar for a strap and possible a shackle or two.
This set up "SUITS ME" not you, so sorry. This set up works great for what I do as I'm sure your SET UP works for you. How can you critise it
having not even seen how it all works. Suppose Different strokes .Hey. If I was building a 4x4 to only do High country work/trips the SET UP
would be entirely different, ATM it suits me fine

threedogs
15th July 2013, 01:00 PM
Here are some pics of fitting my Snorkel, no extra noise that I can hear but great fit.
Need to move Awning back about 3 inches, but very happy camper. One less thing.
BTW that's not me, he's way better looking

TPC
15th July 2013, 01:24 PM
Now it looks like a proper 4WD, looked naked without a snorkel.
I bet he felt nervous drilling those holes with you pointing a camera at him.

threedogs
15th July 2013, 01:31 PM
He was made well and truly aware of the outcome if anything went pear shaped.
Yes he was nervous, but the Pics are set up, he called me back at different stages.
Straight forward fit no problems encountered, Pwheehh.
Wish I had this fitted a few years back when the water surged half way up the windscreen on the way to camp.
Great insurance now

mudnut
15th July 2013, 02:21 PM
Did that get fitted with nutserts in the panel, so there is no drilling in the pillar, 3D?

threedogs
15th July 2013, 03:11 PM
No I had a quick look and to me the nuts were moulded into the rear of the snorkel body itself.

boots
15th July 2013, 04:31 PM
Looks great TD . Believe me it takes a few weeks for the smirky smile to subside from your own face each time you go to your 4B now . Do like new kit me .

cgm
15th July 2013, 04:32 PM
So you won't need that spare "front wing" afterall. :)

threedogs
15th July 2013, 04:58 PM
@ Boots I still do that with new Wiper blades,, oh yeah
Can only just see it too.
Doing a fuel run now, only means taking it a bit easier than normal
and again next fill. I'll be putting my Cooper ATRs 285s for that.
Going for KM2 BFG 305s next

mudnut
15th July 2013, 05:05 PM
It looks pretty good, 3D.How is it anchored to the pillar?

threedogs
15th July 2013, 05:38 PM
I think and not 100% but he centre popped then siliconed on a plastic plate the neck attached too.
I'll have a squiz in the morning.

threedogs
16th July 2013, 12:43 PM
@ Mudnut it has plastic inserts that fit in holes that were drilled then the edges were painted.
Looks ok, I to think rivnuts would have been better and I could still do this and even make that
suggestion to TJM but the way its done is better than self drilling screws, as would think cost effective
this way as well.

mudnut
16th July 2013, 01:06 PM
Thanks, 3D, I need a snorkel, but I am a bit shy about drilling into the pillar. A friend of mine has a snorkel attached to the pillar via a plate which is glued between the windscreen rubber and the metal. Whoever did the installation, never sealed the gap, and rust has set in on the plate, and the pillar. I think someone had a strong double-sided tape, which is the way I would want to go.

threedogs
16th July 2013, 01:22 PM
Im happy but have seen some snorkels with a shocking finish to them, seems they have problems
with the A pillar all the time, good luck, BTW which Snorkel you getting, if I can help at all PM me

mudnut
16th July 2013, 01:29 PM
I haven't looked too hard at this stage, but I think it will be a proven name brand. I thought of using stainless pipe, but have decided on a sleeker design.

taslucas
16th July 2013, 01:30 PM
Thanks, 3D, I need a snorkel, but I am a bit shy about drilling into the pillar. A friend of mine has a snorkel attached to the pillar via a plate which is glued between the windscreen rubber and the metal. Whoever did the installation, never sealed the gap, and rust has set in on the plate, and the pillar. I think someone had a strong double-sided tape, which is the way I would want to go.

Hahaha you want to see rough!?, check out what the previous owner did to my pillar lol, it's in my build thread and near the end of Andy's snorkel DIY

FanTapstic!

mudnut
16th July 2013, 01:51 PM
I just did an unsuccessful search. What did they do, Tas?

threedogs
16th July 2013, 02:46 PM
@ Mudnut I can put you onto a guy that does satin finish stainless snorkels, Look awesome all TIG welded
No rubber elbows or 45s. He does a polished one as well highly recommend if going S/S, faultless to look at IMO

taslucas
16th July 2013, 02:51 PM
I just did an unsuccessful search. What did they do, Tas?

I'll post a link tonight. We're talking bolts all the way through the pillar!

FanTapstic!

threedogs
16th July 2013, 03:04 PM
That's the military spec snorkel Lucas. worth a fortune ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Not,,,,,,lol
Some even say collector items now

taslucas
16th July 2013, 03:27 PM
That's the military spec snorkel Lucas. worth a fortune ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Not,,,,,,lol
Some even say collector items now

Nah, they're still making flexi pipe haha

FanTapstic!

threedogs
1st January 2015, 11:53 AM
I've bumped this to show future work on my camper as I picked up a single cab canopy for nix.
Windows are to be tinted limo green mirror [5%] the rest spray packed woodlands camo.
Its just a matter of figuring out how to do the front.

mudnut
1st January 2015, 12:23 PM
That looks pretty shmick, TD. Plenty of ground clearance and would be very tough too.

threedogs
1st January 2015, 12:40 PM
Yeah MN its fantastic if I can say so myself, tows like a dream, it has that "Ute Swag" arrangement which gives plenty of room.
Only the best was used its supposed to go in one of the Magazines but been a bit lazy. I think the canopy will make it better as an all round camper.
For the record it has Orac off road greasable leaf springs, O'brien off road coupling, and 10" electric brakes, as it stand ATM it weighs around 450kg.
Pick up the canopy Monday, then I'll figure out how front storage goes, Got a few ideas brewing stay tuned, might even put my TJM awning on it.
sit in my chair out of the sun lol, I have heaps of paper with sketches and how it will look, but I like networking ideas as well so looking at all ideas ppl have.
even has a 100ah battery under the floor and a Dolium 55 litre water tank inside as well. I'll be removing the 85 ltr ice box off the draw bar I think as fully loaded with cans and ice it weighs 96kg, but boy does it work well I've made 25mm extra insulation of polystyrene, when others have no ice I still have plenty. lol usb player for tunes if needed but we mainly use the radio for listening to the footy,
Full led like my patrol. Was going to sell it then this canopy came up. that was the dream all along.

FYI the chassis is a combination of 50x50x3mm RHS and 40x40x3 RHS fully welded its not going anywhere soon
Draw bar is triple 100x50x3 rhs 1830mm long.
The centre beam goes right to the back of the chassis where there is a recovery point

mudnut
1st January 2015, 12:57 PM
By the looks of it, set up will be as easy as. I've had an idea for some time to run a patrol front axle under such an arrangement as yours, but with an electric or air drive on the diff, so the hubs can be locked and the camper can help drive or pull the tow vehicle out. Also it would be an easy way to carry a spare diff center and CVs, etc. I want to make it easy to swap the assembly for a lighter one for normal use too.

threedogs
1st January 2015, 01:04 PM
My original idea was to cut a troopy behind the front door buy another back and weld that on.
I had JB-HI FI on board to do the sound system, magazines lined up for photos. then I decided
on the Patrol and that put and end to that, was a perfect balance too. I saw an 80s made into a camper
but was way to front heavy, its on u tube or face book or something, that was cut down from the windsceen.
The troopy was perfect for that project, it had a disc brake rear end too.

Might cut the front off the canopy move it forward and sheet metal and fibre glass the void. Might work lol
Should have picked it up on wednesday now I have to wait till Monday, bummer

threedogs
5th January 2015, 09:33 AM
Picked up the canopy, I'll cut the front 4" off and fill it in with sheet metal then paint.
who knows I may end up keeping it, but its always up for sale
I think Im going to use some 25 x 25 cage wire and form a frame over the front
Making it a bit more aerodynamic then fibre glassing it.
Now to look on U Tube on how to Fibreglass. LOL

threedogs
25th May 2015, 06:31 PM
having trouble getting enough troops around to lift my roof rack on the Patrol
Still need to mount the awning as well, Oh well you get that on the big jobs
Ditching the dual cab canopy, as I now want a small caravan, nothing flash
double bed a small kitchen area and a table up the front, something I can leave packed ready to go.

Anyone interested in my camper feel free to drop me a PM, it wont disappoint and only has the good gear
on it. sleep two easy

threedogs
10th July 2015, 11:01 AM
Just an update ,roof rack is now on, Awning bracket made and powder coated,
Light bar on and working, a few more mods to make .
Light bar is on and wired, happy with that took too long
EG;; I want to weld some 12mm fins onto the diff pumpkin for protection
just to be different.
The bulls eye led is 9 watt and will be used as DRLs along the bullbar with
the white led DRLs up top about 8 each side.

I think now I have the rack Ill need to make some kind of steps to gain access

Those straight lights are called COB led's very bright perfect for drawer systems etc,
it shows 4 but I only have one on each side just below the headlight.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-COB-84-Sealed-LED-Car-DRL-Driving-Fog-Day-Lights-Daytime-Running-Lamp-Bulb-OZ-/301206724922?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item462151e13a

threedogs
12th July 2015, 11:43 AM
This is only for my reference, heres the front and rear view at night.
Very happy with the way the light bar fits, Certainly dont need any more
forward facing lights for slow off road or HWY speeds.
maybe now put some underneath lol

Bigcol
12th July 2015, 02:23 PM
looks good mate

nice mods

threedogs
12th July 2015, 02:59 PM
Heres some pics on my 3rd trailer [present] Built upside down for most parts.
Hindsight which I have in spades I would have put the battery box up the back not the front like I did.
No biggie,
This is my 3rd trailer, I have access to a service body Which I may make a trailer from it ,not sure yet
The draw bar has another piece that runs nearly the entire length.
Also the draw bar had heaps of tabs welded to it for any additional boxes I want to fit
I powder coated GQ Ti mags, the extra cab is another I made and sold

FYI I used two sheets of 1/8th alloy checker plater in the build
Painted the frame charcoal hammer tone
I just love making things

threedogs
30th July 2015, 10:06 AM
Im putting pics here for another member to view, scored these two tanks, they appear out of date,
Any ideas on what to use them for other than testing and scuba diving Id like to hear.
Im thinking these will hold a heap of air. I think they are made from alloy

Clunk
30th July 2015, 10:38 AM
Smoker, bbq, little fire, rather large anal plugs Etcetera Etcetera Etcetera

jack
30th July 2015, 10:54 AM
Im putting pics here for another member to view, scored these two tanks, they appear out of date,
Any ideas on what to use them for other than testing and scuba diving Id like to hear.
Im thinking these will hold a heap of air. I think they are made from alloy

Hard to tell what size they are from the pics, could be 12 and 10 litres as they are the most common sizes. Should be some size info just above the start of the curve. Try a magnet to see if they are steel, if steel they may be able to be re-certified. It all depends on the condition inside, outside doesn't really matter and I've seen worse than that on dive boats. They can take a bit of a hammering as long as the valve is fine. If alloy then don't even bother to try and get them tested.

If no one comes up with a better idea for them Clunk would probably take them off your hands as he seems to have a use for them. ;)

threedogs
30th July 2015, 11:10 AM
Why the difference for the alloy tanks?
latest stamp on the larger one is 08 and the smaller is 04

jack
30th July 2015, 12:28 PM
Why the difference for the alloy tanks?
latest stamp on the larger one is 08 and the smaller is 04

They are a risk of exploding while being filled, most stores won't fill them even if they are 'in test' date. Check this link:
https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/news/safety-alerts/whsq/2009/safety-alert-safe-filling-of-portable-aluminium-alloy-cylinders

threedogs
30th July 2015, 12:52 PM
Bummer ,at least the valve on top is worth something.
Might cut it in half long ways for some water dishes for the dog. lol

threedogs
30th July 2015, 01:34 PM
My awning light just arrived, its a Kawell 18watt 60 degree beam spread.
It will be hard wired with a dimmer and remote control as well.
Die cast alloy body so very robust IMO cant wait to mount it,
about 200mm long

Oldmate1
30th July 2015, 01:53 PM
about 200mm long

hi mate
did you forget that you posted this same thing in two other places

threedogs
30th July 2015, 01:59 PM
Yeah I know that One for my build thread one for "what did you buy"
And one for my roofrack thread all good lol

Winnie
30th July 2015, 02:09 PM
hi mate
did you forget that you posted this same thing in two other places

He's just really, really, really....... really excited for his light

Clunk
30th July 2015, 03:10 PM
He's just really, really, really....... really excited for his light
Little things please little minds hahahaha

nissannewby
30th July 2015, 03:24 PM
about 200mm long

I thought you had to have a specific led for them to be dimmable? Most leds will work between 6 and 36 volts. Others will work in a smaller ranger but they are either on or off.

threedogs
30th July 2015, 03:42 PM
We'll see in time I suppose, most other LEDs I have been able to dim even ones with a driver

Winnie
30th July 2015, 04:11 PM
I thought you had to have a specific led for them to be dimmable? Most leds will work between 6 and 36 volts. Others will work in a smaller ranger but they are either on or off.

You do need dimmable LEDs.
Most LEDs are dimmable though, but the drivers for them are not.

threedogs
15th September 2015, 12:42 PM
changed my glow plugs happy with that, problem is now there is a problem with boost.
Ive either crimped the hose or its leaking somewhere, easy fix ,
again just need the weather on my side.
I brought all new hose with spring loaded clamps with tee's so
good time to re-do the Dawes and needle valve

threedogs
22nd December 2015, 07:26 PM
Time to update new glow plugs fitted and now the Patrol starts first kick very happy.
Also fitted some switches to the centre console more to come later, little bit of running
around in the morning then Ill cut all the other holes and fit the switch mounting blocks.

Cuppa
22nd December 2015, 11:11 PM
You do need dimmable LEDs.
Most LEDs are dimmable though, but the drivers for them are not.

Yep it’s the driver which determines if they are dimmable or not. I just bought a bunch of 240v LED downlights for our shed dwelling. They are both dimmable 100% to 3%, 16w with 180 degree light spread & also colour changeable with stepless adjustment between 2700k (warm white) to 6000k (cool white). Dimming & colour changing is done with a remote control which can control up to 4 groups of lights containing 1 to 10 lights each. They work really well & the warm white is just like an incandescent light, not a crappy yellow like some. At $26 each they are great value & the remote .... a whopping $11.

Cuppa
22nd December 2015, 11:13 PM
Time to update new glow plugs fitted and now the Patrol starts first kick very happy.
Also fitted some switches to the centre console more to come later, little bit of running
around in the morning then Ill cut all the other holes and fit the switch mounting blocks.

Did I miss something? I thought you’d done a head & were talking motor replacement?

threedogs
23rd December 2015, 11:54 AM
Did I miss something? I thought you’d done a head & were talking motor replacement?

I patched it with some head repair goo, gives me some time to figure out what to do.
ATM goes as well as before, no overheating, fingers crossed,

threedogs
1st January 2016, 12:26 PM
3rd switch installed, now to wire them, lol
the Light bar is wired,and very easy to reach
locker is easiest to reach so happy there.
Compressor will be on most the time for air horn
and latter my front Pro-locker

Also does anyone know where the indicator wires are and what colours for left and right,
do they run along the left or right step plate

Winnie
1st January 2016, 01:42 PM
Didn't you wear your glasses when cutting the holes John? Crooked as mate!

Clunk
1st January 2016, 02:19 PM
thought you had a no hole policy with your Pootrol?

threedogs
1st January 2016, 02:24 PM
Didn't you wear your glasses when cutting the holes John? Crooked as mate!

Yeah should of cut all of them at the same time can tweak them a bit .

threedogs
1st January 2016, 02:25 PM
thought you had a no hole policy with your Pootrol?

care factor slowly dropping Im afraid lol

threedogs
1st January 2016, 02:26 PM
Re-positioned the Cruise Control indicator light to the pillar pod.

growler2058
1st January 2016, 02:40 PM
I hate auto electrical stuff, piss' me for some reason

threedogs
1st January 2016, 02:53 PM
A loom can go up in the blink of an eye if you get it wrong eh smoke everywhere ha ha
The funny bit is my sons an Auto lekky

threedogs
1st January 2016, 03:52 PM
Saw these they also do them for the S4 on as well. IMO only good for occaisional things
but a good use of waisted space
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GU-Patrol-Series-1-2-3-Switch-Panel-with-5-Carling-style-Switches-and-1-socket-/111670415098?hash=item1a00134efa:g:XdoAAOSwgkRVU-Pv

threedogs
9th January 2016, 03:49 PM
Next job is remove the main battery volt meter and replace it with a double carling mounting frame.
Ill exchange the volt meters as dont really need an AUX batt gauge as I have one in the cargo area.
The main battery gauge will be enough to let me know if the alternator is playing up along with any
dash lights lol,
Im thinking these will house my DRL switch and winch power switch, still in arms reach

Clunk
9th January 2016, 04:31 PM
Nek Minut

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/01/117.jpg

threedogs
9th January 2016, 04:34 PM
Ha Ha you're so funny welcome back LOL

only fitting 9 extra 3 on the centre dash ,,,3 on the console,,
and 3 near the hand brake when I get the panels laser cut

threedogs
14th February 2016, 10:50 AM
Better put a pic here so I have a reference point,
so 12v ,,clock and water gauge all wired up.
I was wary of digital gauges because of the "flicker factor"
but I have not noticed it at all. these gauges are not over powering
at night and very readable during the day. The triple pod is covered
in the same material as the dash mat and secured with sticky back velcro tape.
Now Ill fit a double carling insert in the area where the round
Baintech volt gauge used to be. pic to follow

threedogs
21st September 2020, 02:24 PM
WOW had to do a lot of digging to find this lol
Need to put pics of my new Rasslar bar, recommend it
one to everyone.
Also had some BFGs ATkos fitted 285sx16 great tyre imo

threedogs
21st September 2020, 02:46 PM
DOH forgot to show this,,, its the self opening option that rasslar offer
open the small door then just flick the black lever on the big door like normal
easy peasy, plus like the way they use 4 bolts to secure the wheel not three like normal.
it also has a provision for a light pole,

10G
22nd September 2020, 01:23 PM
That's a great looking rear bar John, one day maybe???

mudski
22nd September 2020, 04:30 PM
DOH forgot to show this,,, its the self opening option that rasslar offer
open the small door then just flick the black lever on the big door like normal
easy peasy, plus like the way they use 4 bolts to secure the wheel not three like normal.
it also has a provision for a light pole,

I went to Rasslar a while back and they canned that idea. Must have been after you bought your bar. They said they were having complaints about the barn doors cracking, like they would with a heavy tire on the back. Its due to the pulling on the door skin from the swing away. Still a bloody good idea though, I hate the way mine is now, without that contraption.

threedogs
23rd September 2020, 11:26 AM
@ mudski I think I paid for my bar about june last year.
my mate at OUTBACK 4WD picked it up for me,
then had them fit it in March this year.
I hardly ever use the back these days, but will when
we are able to go fishing.
Ill keep an eye on things though , thanks