PDA

View Full Version : Pulling Apart PTO Winch

nismo404
9th July 2012, 10:08 AM
Hey guys, in removing the PTO winch off the front off my truck for repairs I attempted to seperate the driveshaft at the front shear pin. It was siezed pretty solid so I wrapped the winch rope around a tree and gave it a few jolts backwards to dry and break the seal. Had a look and it hadn't budged. Gave a few more jolts with a little more force and got it to move about 1.5mm. I gave up then at trying to do it that way as I knew if I went any harder I was bound to do some damage. Ended up draining the oil and removing the worm gear assembly from the rest of the winch housing to get it off. So now I have the worm gear part of the driveshaft seperated from the winch housing, but the shear pin wont go back in as the holes moved that little bit. Also surely I want this shaft to be able to spin freely without the pin in as if it was to be overloaded at the moment I'd imagine something else would act as the weak point and not this pin.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get these two shafts seperated? I've been spraying penetrating oil on it for the last week and can get hold of an oxy set if need be, would that be sufficient?

I know that there's another shear pin at the gearbox end of the driveshaft and am concerned if the front shaft and knuckle are seized this badly then the rear can't be any better.

The red circle is the joint I'm talking about.

nissannewby
9th July 2012, 10:52 AM
The oxy will be your friend mate get a hold of that and it will make your life a lot easier.

nismo404
9th July 2012, 04:52 PM
A bit of heat and swinging off the shaft with a pipe wrench and I heard a relieving crack, a bit more penetrant and a few more turns and it came right off. For the rear I might need to take the whole driveshaft off with the transfer box, don't want to burn the truck down.