PDA

View Full Version : GU II ute 90K/hr vibration

BradWill
8th July 2012, 11:28 PM
As a new patrol owner am wondering if it is common for a vibration through the steering at around 90 k's/hr. All the usual remedys- wheels / balance/ alignment fail to correct. Any suggestions?

Gas_Guzzler4800
12th July 2012, 07:15 AM
If all other bushes and swivel hub preload checks out ok, I would suggest having a proper wheel balance done. Some places call it by a different name, premium, dynamic etc. Basically they will use a different fitting on the balancing machine which has "fingers" to hold the wheel centered instead of just the universal conical fitting. They will also take the time to rotate the tyre on the rim if need be.

threedogs
12th July 2012, 07:32 AM
X2 as above you'll find most shops won't deflate the tyre and rotate it to try and get a better balance, time is money. X2 on the machine it needs to be able to handle 4x4 wheels not just passenger cars. you can buy self balancing powder from Stuan I think

macca
12th July 2012, 03:06 PM
All the usual remedys- wheels / balance/ alignment fail to correct.

If you have done all that and sugestions above with no success, are the rims running true and round.

There were some wheels imported a few years back that were out of round and wobbled, shook the hell out of the vehicles even after a alignment and balance.

Good luck, macca

buzzbro
13th July 2012, 08:05 AM
there was aproblem with vibrations in the early leaf sprung models. There was a damper kit that bolted to the ends of the rear diff housing. there was also a rework bush kit for the front but I have only fitted one and don't remeber much about it. the easiest way to make sure it is not a rim or tyre is swap some over from a mates patrol

galvo76
15th July 2012, 10:09 AM
My 2010 GU 3.0l does the same thing took to Nissan they did a wheel balance bu it is still there would love to hear a fix for the problem too
Galvo

joey_081
15th July 2012, 05:18 PM
what sort of wheel & tyres are you running? Some aftermarket wheels with incorrect offset will cause a vibration

joey_081
15th July 2012, 05:20 PM
Also mud terrain tyres will balance up on a machine, but will still vibrate sometimes.......At's are a lot better

galvo76
15th July 2012, 10:26 PM
I have standard wheels and tyres for now

buzzbro
16th July 2012, 05:36 PM
Nissan dealers were issued with a special hub to balance the patrols btu I don't think it made a lot of difference

Superoo
18th July 2012, 10:39 PM
Hi I have a 03 series 3 GU running Cooper XTs on standard alloys and had them rotated, balanced but at 105 Klms they vibrate.
Also I have also spoke to other Patrol owners,they also have a problem with pulling to the left which mine does, if someone has a remedy it would be great.
Cheers.

daggy
20th July 2012, 04:41 PM
I have heard that in some cases it can be a dodgy engine mount, left hand side, I think. Another one can be the tyre tread not on straight, however there are other many and varied issues with the patrols.