PDA

View Full Version : Nissheads 3 month adventure

Pages : 1 [2]

Maxhead
9th October 2012, 07:39 PM
is your return planned??????

Yes mate, unfortunately. Next trip will be 6 or 12 months . 3 months is just not enough to see what we want to see.

The BigFella
9th October 2012, 09:25 PM
Sweet, we sure do have a huge back yard!
Great to break it down to manageable chunks though.

Maxhead
20th October 2012, 04:27 PM
This is what happens to crap tyres after about 20000. Mostly towing

Fronts are ok at about 70%

Rears, well you can judge

..........on the move.

Winnie
20th October 2012, 04:29 PM
Looks like they were over inflated?

Maxhead
20th October 2012, 04:37 PM

That's what I thought at first when we left but I kept dropping them to see if they wear different but it must be just the weight doing it. I met a bloke at cook town who reckons mickey ts atz ate pretty good for towing with weight

..........on the move.

growler2058
20th October 2012, 07:33 PM

More likely the soft GU factor striking again and something plastic holding it together has flexed and put the wheel alignment out.......hey Kris

Maxhead
25th October 2012, 05:53 AM
Some stats from the trip

Km's traveled - 15112
Liters used - 2901
L/100 - 19.2
Cost per km- $.316

I didn't count the last tank so probably closer to 16000 ks. Bloody looooong way but well worth it

........... On the move

threedogs
25th October 2012, 07:06 AM
Just noticed this thread, where the hell are you now,
Cooktown is an awesome spot, IMO. I'll re read the lot
and check later tonight, stay safe

Bloodyaussie
25th October 2012, 07:10 AM
Yeah I town a large gardening trailer and chew through tyres on the rear so only hunt around for cheap 2nd hand tyres.

No matter how expensive the tyre they just wear too quickly so dont bother with expensive new tyres.

I still have my KM2's for having fun...

So mate has reality kicked in yet??????

Maxhead
11th November 2012, 08:34 AM
a quick vid from Lady Musgrave island snorkelling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXL-z2PF8j4&feature=g-upl

Just uploading another of the chopper ride over west mack ranges

growler2058
11th November 2012, 09:19 AM
Woulda been piss funny if he,d latched onto yer face haha

MEGOMONSTER
11th November 2012, 09:48 AM
It definitely looked like it wanted to attack. Go back try it again but get closer. Just love watching ockys in the water, so strange looking creatures.

Publicly speaking to a private audience.

Maxhead
11th November 2012, 11:11 AM
Haha, I tried getting closer earlier but he moved real quick. Would have been pi55 funny garbing it and walking out with it in front all the Asian tourists.....hhahahah

Maxhead
12th November 2012, 05:18 AM
Here's the copper ride over west Mac Ranges.

sorry , im not tyhe best behind a vid camera so bit all over the place. I was pretty excited and shipping bricks at times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ-eH8d4uMY&feature=g-upl

jack
19th November 2012, 04:00 PM
Hi Kris,

Just re-read the whole thread, I'm looking at doing this in June next year. We'll include Kakadu, Darwin and Fraser Island etc. Just the two of us (empty nesters) so don't need to do Surfers etc.
A couple of questions to start with (probably more to come):
Why did you choose to go clockwise?
Where did you leave the van when you went to the tip?

Cheers
Apollofish

Maxhead
19th November 2012, 04:15 PM
Hi Kris,

Just re-read the whole thread, I'm looking at doing this in June next year. We'll include Kakadu, Darwin and Fraser Island etc. Just the two of us (empty nesters) so don't need to do Surfers etc.
A couple of questions to start with (probably more to come):
Why did you choose to go clockwise?
Where did you leave the van when you went to the tip?

Cheers
Apollofish

Good on ya, you will love it no doubt! We loved every minute of it and planning to go again very soon....hopefully for longer.

We did not really have any plans in place so just decided to go that way but the Neurum forum meet-up timing help that decision. To tell you the truth we were just ganna go up to Cape and then down slowly but changed our minds and decided to the centre as well.

We towed the van up to Weipa and left it at the caravan park in their shed. It was only $7 a night . We could have easly driven to Seisia or Bamaga but not knowing the conditions we left it at Weipa. The road got fairly rough as soon as we crossed the Jardine river but still easly could have got the van up there.

No problems at all mate, just ask ahead

Maxhead
29th October 2013, 06:19 PM
I've been looking through some of the vids of our trip last year. This is the road from Comooweal to Gregory Downs.. ...Looks pretty tame compared what it was really like but here it is...LOL

I've made these vids public with a link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7nX3xbcPbItT3ZaSmxyN0ZtNHc/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7nX3xbcPbItZU4xS0I1UGp3cXM/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7nX3xbcPbItS1hrTG9nTmFTbkU/edit?usp=sharing

AB
29th October 2013, 06:39 PM
Reminiscing old mate...lol

Maxhead
29th October 2013, 06:40 PM
Reminiscing old mate...lol

yep,,,need to go again for good!

AB
29th October 2013, 06:43 PM
yep,,,need to go again for good!

I hear ya, I've only got 30 more years of work until I can do that...lol

Time will come though, sell it all and jump on board the AB travelling circus!

Maxhead
29th October 2013, 06:49 PM
I hear ya, I've only got 30 more years of work until I can do that...lol

Time will come though, sell it all and jump on board the AB travelling circus!

LOL, I'm only working for a few(very few) more years and thats it! Then I'll enjoy while I can..LOL

Cuppa
29th October 2013, 06:55 PM
This is the road from Comooweal to Gregory Downs.. ...Looks pretty tame compared what it was really like but here it is...LOL

Couldn’t have been that bad if you were able to get along at 95kph!
Worst corrugations we experienced (not far away, between Adels Grove & Lawn Hill) we christened ‘Boob Shakers’ (for obvious reasons :) ) & they saw our speed averaging under 10kph. Mind you I suppose a bus is rather different to a Patrol.

Cuppa

Winnie
29th October 2013, 07:15 PM
Yeah but Kris is a psycho!

Maxhead
29th October 2013, 07:18 PM
Couldn’t have been that bad if you were able to get along at 95kph!
Worst corrugations we experienced (not far away, between Adels Grove & Lawn Hill) we christened ‘Boob Shakers’ (for obvious reasons :) ) & they saw our speed averaging under 10kph. Mind you I suppose a bus is rather different to a Patrol.

Cuppa

You're right Cuppa, the vids were taken on the common tracks. . Even tough we were there in early August they had rains two weeks before we arrived. One bit was nearly impassable (around 10km long). Some still wet and very rutted. Getting through that bit was a challenge(only 5km out of town). it was fun but had me worried at all times. The caravan was a dream to tow though!!

Yeah yeah,,,,no vids ...too farking worried to get through..lol

Maxhead
29th October 2013, 07:21 PM
Yeah but Kris is a psycho!

Hey Chrisso, There's no heros out there. You just have to make it to the next town mate...LOL