PDA

View Full Version : Please help!! Re: Tailshaft for 1981 SD33-7

Renee5376
8th July 2012, 05:54 PM
Hi there, I have purchased a 1981 SD33-7 Patrol and I need a tailshaft, as the previous owner shortened it to fit a 5 speed gear box, however couldn't do the job so put the 4 speed back in with the shortened tailshaft packed out. (Very dodgy). I found a GQ tailshaft for sale but do not know if it will suit.
Thank you in anticipation of your valued advice.
Cheers.... Renee

NissanGQ4.2
8th July 2012, 09:33 PM
Hi Renee, when you get a chance stop past the introduction thread and tell us a bit about yourself and your rig, a link 2 the intro section can be found in my signature line.

Cheers

Todd

MQ MAD
9th July 2012, 10:54 AM
Hi there, I have purchased a 1981 SD33-7 Patrol and I need a tailshaft, as the previous owner shortened it to fit a 5 speed gear box, however couldn't do the job so put the 4 speed back in with the shortened tailshaft packed out. (Very dodgy). I found a GQ tailshaft for sale but do not know if it will suit.
Thank you in anticipation of your valued advice.
Cheers.... Renee
There are factory patrol tailshafts to suit both the 4 speed and the 5 speed, why would some muppet go cuttin one down ???
What gearbox do you have now,and what do you want exactly ???
4 speed tailshaft or a 5 speed tailshaft ???
Is it a wagon,ute or shorty

Dont forget when converting a 4 speed to a 5 speed the front 4 speed tailshaft will be too short,as the gearbox is 100 mm longer

Renee5376
9th July 2012, 11:14 AM
Thank you MQ MAD, I'm thinking that I will leave the 4 speed in and replace the tail shaft, therefore returning it to it's original state. My Nissan is a wagon.
Cheers, Renee

Renee5376
9th July 2012, 11:55 AM
Morning Todd, I have introduced myself as suggested and added an album. Hopefully all good!!
Thanks for your help.
Renee

the ferret
9th July 2012, 12:18 PM
Morning Todd, I have introduced myself as suggested and added an album. Hopefully all good!!
Thanks for your help.
Renee

Welcome to the forum mate.
Trust Me, you would be better off using the 5 speed box if you have it, I have done this in the past and it's not that bigger job, just a few mods, you already have the shortened tail shaft.
Use the same clutch, modify the spiggot bush and modify the gearbox mounts a little.
Well worth doing.
Cheers, the ferret.

threedogs
9th July 2012, 12:30 PM
Hey Renee shoot " Finly owner " a PM sounds like he's clued up on all things starting with an M

NissanGQ4.2
9th July 2012, 04:31 PM
Thanks for your help.
Renee

All good Renee, thanks for the intro :)

Finly Owner
9th July 2012, 11:06 PM
Renee I assumed you had ashorty in your intro post, but alas , I was made an asse of. So now do I have a tailshaft for a 4 spd wagon? No sorry I don't. But I may have the front shaft you need.

MQ MAD how long is that one?

Tim

MQ MAD
10th July 2012, 09:30 AM
Renee,
What id do is go for the 5 speed box as mentioned,there an overdrive box,so good on the highway
Theres nothin to putting them in ,get the right tailshafts is best,bugger choppin stuff , unless its done properly,if its not youll chew unis like no tomorrow and itll vibrate ya teeth out...
If you have the 5 speed box already, just get the shafts,and your done
Theres no other mods
There is however 2 types of 5 speed boxes, the turbo box and the non turbo box,different first gear thats all
Go the 5 speed

Tim,
Ill get the info on the tailshafts and post them up

Renee5376
11th July 2012, 08:44 AM
Thanks Tim, No problem, my fault for not being more specific. My mechanic will be assessing vehicle shortly. I'll post details of results when available.
Renee

Renee5376
11th July 2012, 09:11 AM
Thank you MQ Mad, I'm getting the vehicle assessed by my mechanic and will decide on gearbox if vehicle is worth restoring. I have both 4 speed and 5 speed boxes, therefore options are open. I do understand and appreciate what you have said and the benefits of the 5 speed. Must admit that it did sound like it needed another gear when it was driven home on highway. It does drive very well tho, so I hope it's saveable. If not, I'll wreck it out and upgrade.
Cheers
Renee

Finly Owner
11th July 2012, 09:29 PM
Thank you MQ Mad, I'm getting the vehicle assessed by my mechanic and will decide on gearbox if vehicle is worth restoring. I have both 4 speed and 5 speed boxes, therefore options are open. I do understand and appreciate what you have said and the benefits of the 5 speed. Must admit that it did sound like it needed another gear when it was driven home on highway. It does drive very well tho, so I hope it's saveable. If not, I'll wreck it out and upgrade.
Cheers
ReneeRenee,
Please let us know what your mechanic says, and be prepared for us to bombard with support and help with info, morale, and parts if we have them. Some mechanics would say the ol Patrols aren't worth it.but, they are wrong. With a 5 speed fitted, you will have better fuel economy and an easier to drive vehicle with lower revs in top gear, and easier cruising on highway. And first gear is a nice low gear for hill climbs of road and a controllable move off when towing.

Tim

Renee5376
12th July 2012, 06:33 AM
Cheers Tim, I will. Truley hope I can save it! Is such a beast... I love it!!

Renee

MQ MAD
12th July 2012, 12:04 PM
Truley hope I can save it! Is such a beast... I love it!!

Renee

Theres your answer ,right there
Save it, they are such a beast

Finly Owner
12th July 2012, 10:27 PM
Theres your answer ,right there
Save it, they are such a beast
I second that!

Tim

GQ TANK
15th July 2012, 01:45 AM
Im third

Have a look here for more info http://nerok.info/

I just complete a night drive with the club - I had the oldest and kept up with the gq's & GU's etc