PDA

View Full Version : Driving a Patrol on 'L' plates

DX grunt
7th July 2012, 08:03 PM
Well, somebody had to start a thread about Learner Drivers. lol

I'm teaching my young fella how to drive. We've been going along nicely for a couple of weeks, and I finally let him loose on the open road.

We'd just filled up at the servo and turned onto the main road, when he changed from 2nd to 3rd.

Can't remember what happened, but I can recall yelling 'FARK ME,' as I was being whiplashed from the seat to the fully locked seatbelt and back to the seat.

My kid couldn't stop laughing, which naturally made me angrier!! lol.

I think he might have revved it up too much, changed gear, then 'dropped the clutch'.

We had to pull over so he could stop laughing.

I'm now teaching him how to drive along slippery, wet gravel roads. That's wiped the smile off his face. hahahaha. For some reason, he's not laughing as much, now. PML.

Take care out there.

Rossco

NissanGQ4.2
7th July 2012, 08:42 PM
slippery wet gravel roads, likes dropping clutch, can only spell disaster, make sure you son takes car out there Rossco

Brendan56
7th July 2012, 09:12 PM
Got the holy sh** bar on your model ? Haha

Tappin trolls
Brendan

Finly Owner
7th July 2012, 09:20 PM
We won't pics of thebattle scars.......................hahahaahahah

Tim

DX grunt
8th July 2012, 08:12 AM
slippery wet gravel roads, likes dropping clutch, can only spell disaster, make sure you son takes car out there Rossco

I will. He knows it's my pride and joy and it's his wheels to 'freedom'.

He had trouble remembering to take the handbrake off before we take off, but I sorted that out.

Everytime he leaves it on, I make him get out of my truck and do push ups. Started at 10, and increase it by 5 every time. lol.

Next set will be 20. He's learning fairly quickly. First set he did was out the front of our house, next was on the side of the road about 5k's from home. PML.

I'm a hard taskmaster.

Take care out there.

Rossco

scotty83
8th July 2012, 08:41 AM
Taught my three children to drive it was interesting. Only my daughter (the youngest) ever got to drive the patrol. This was because she had to do the 100 hours log book we have in qld. Some day you just need a real car.

DX grunt
8th July 2012, 08:55 AM
Taught my three children to drive it was interesting. Only my daughter (the youngest) ever got to drive the patrol. This was because she had to do the 100 hours log book we have in qld. Some day you just need a real car.

100hrs of logbook. Ouch! we only have 25hrs over here. Why the extra hrs? lol

I never used to fill the book out for a trip to the shop and back. Too much hard work.

Over here it's 6 months on Phase 1, driving test, then 6 months on Phase 2 - including 25hrs of log book.
I think the mandatory 6 months was to stop the youngins getting their hours done in 3 days. lol

threedogs
8th July 2012, 09:30 AM
Sorry its not LOL, its so they get as much experiece as possible in all conditions, TOO MANY YOUNG PEOPLE DYING, as they think they know it all.We should be celebrating birthdays not burying them.
Just look at all the crosses and flowers on the side of the roads

DX grunt
8th July 2012, 10:26 AM
Sorry its not LOL, its so they get as much experiece as possible in all conditions, TOO MANY YOUNG PEOPLE DYING, as they think they know it all.We should be celebrating birthdays not burying them.
Just look at all the crosses and flowers on the side of the roads

Agree. My apologies if you misinterpreted the 'lol.'

I have a vested interest in road safety and do take it very seriously. I am teaching my 4th son to drive, and road safety was my full time job for 7 years. I provided support, advice and assistance to 25 Local Government Authorities and their communities regarding road safety issues and concerns.

At one stage, I was getting a local school to make the white crosses, but it became too traumatic for the students, so it was stopped.

I too, am saddened to see so many white crosses as I drive along our roads.

I am a very strong advocate and supporter of road safety - even in my current job. I have seen the devastation first hand of the effects of road trauma, as a volunteer ambulance officer and a volunteer SES member, by attending crash sites.

Young adults and parents should be encouraged to be doing more than the bare minimum.

Without a doubt, supervised driving is hard work, but the benefit is that our 'novice drivers' will (and/or should) be better skilled to take on the challenges of driving- including hazard management.

Road safety authorities are encouraging a minimum of 120hrs of supervised driving. With this comes challenges for 'supervisors.' Some don't drive on freeways, some don't drive at night, some want their kids to drive them home from the pub........and the list goes on. Kids need all the help and experience they can get.

Many authorities are also taking the same approach about what and who to target for road safety.......'Novice Drivers, Speeding, Drink/drug driving, Restraints, Fatigue and Distracted Drivers.

The main train line that goes from the northern to southern suburbs of Perth, runs down the middle of the freeway. When I catch the train, I get a pretty good view of what's happening on the road, and just shake my head in disbelief at what I see sometimes. The cops should ride on the train, armed with cameras. They would have a field day, I reckon.

Anyway, I enjoy teaching my kid how to drive my 3 ton truck on wet and dry bitumen and gravel country roads. When I trust him a bit more, we'll be driving closer to the city, and eventually on the freeway. (Phase 1 Learner Drivers are not allowed on Freeways in WA).

Take care out there.

Rossco

EDIT: Many states in Australia have different road rules and driver's licence conditions that must be complied with. Check with the appropriate authority/ies in your State, BEFORE you drive. If you intend driving in another State, you should find out the road rules/driver's licence conditions for that State, BEFORE you go there.

97_gq_lwb
8th July 2012, 10:43 AM
I like the fact your teaching him on slippery wet roads.
Good to teach them basic instincts on how to control a car when you loose traction and recover from what would otherwise be an accident in a panic situation by the majority of drivers.
I honestly think everyone who drives should have a go in a paddock basher in slippery wet muddy terrain it would make the road a safer place.

threedogs
8th July 2012, 10:54 AM
With that new Drift car culture[can't for the life of me call it a sport] and rice burners over turboed, let alone the VL clumsydoor, all they want to do is a huge burn out. personally I dont think this is good driving. Respect for other road user, As DX grunt would agree it not only effects family if a fatality happens. News this morning 4x4 ran over 2 walking along country road, that driver probably wont be driving again in the near future. Its not rocket science, slow down keep that bloody mobile out of your ear and have some respect.

As the slogan here says TOUCHED BY THE ROAD TOLL

MC97GQ
8th July 2012, 01:23 PM
I will. He knows it's my pride and joy and it's his wheels to 'freedom'.

He had trouble remembering to take the handbrake off before we take off, but I sorted that out.

Everytime he leaves it on, I make him get out of my truck and do push ups. Started at 10, and increase it by 5 every time. lol.

Next set will be 20. He's learning fairly quickly. First set he did was out the front of our house, next was on the side of the road about 5k's from home. PML.

I'm a hard taskmaster.

Take care out there.

Rossco

Rossco, had a good little chuckle when I read your original post, so I can only imagine how much laughing the young bloke was doing.

Now to my point mate, you have it all wrong as far as the handbrake penalty, make him shout you a stubby/schooner for every time he stuffs up.

When I was learning to drive trains many moons ago, my old driver use to penalise me a schooner for every time I mucked up, after one night of buying the drinks all night I soon got the head together and started flying right. When I was still teaching I used the same penally method on the blokes I taught. Had plenty of night without taking the wallet out I can tell you.

Mark

DX grunt
9th July 2012, 01:18 PM
Rossco, had a good little chuckle when I read your original post, so I can only imagine how much laughing the young bloke was doing.

Now to my point mate, you have it all wrong as far as the handbrake penalty, make him shout you a stubby/schooner for every time he stuffs up.

When I was learning to drive trains many moons ago, my old driver use to penalise me a schooner for every time I mucked up, after one night of buying the drinks all night I soon got the head together and started flying right. When I was still teaching I used the same penally method on the blokes I taught. Had plenty of night without taking the wallet out I can tell you.

Mark

He's only 17 and not allowed to buy or drink alcohol. Besides, he's a gym junckie and doesn't drink. lol

Winnie
9th July 2012, 01:25 PM
100hrs of logbook. Ouch! we only have 25hrs over here. Why the extra hrs? lol

I never used to fill the book out for a trip to the shop and back. Too much hard work.

Over here it's 6 months on Phase 1, driving test, then 6 months on Phase 2 - including 25hrs of log book.
I think the mandatory 6 months was to stop the youngins getting their hours done in 3 days. lol

It's 120 hours here in Vic with minumum 10 hours night driving, and since they brought that in the fatalities have decreased quite a bit. Parents can be confident with their children because they know they have a lot of experience. Mum was always stressing when my sister first got her license (she didn't have to do the hours), but she didn't stress at all when I got mine.

2TROLLFAM
9th July 2012, 03:13 PM
I let my learner driver daughter behind the wheel of Frank a few months back - hmmmm she LOOKED at the gear stick whilst changing from 3rd back to 2nd to turn a corner & hit a concrete culvert ... $3000 later and she now drives HER new automatic car ... LOL

MQ MAD
9th July 2012, 07:07 PM
Well, somebody had to start a thread about Learner Drivers. lol

We'd just filled up at the servo and turned onto the main road, when he changed from 2nd to 3rd.

Can't remember what happened, but I can recall yelling 'FARK ME,' as I was being whiplashed from the seat to the fully locked seatbelt and back to the seat.

My kid couldn't stop laughing, which naturally made me angrier!! lol.

I think he might have revved it up too much, changed gear, then 'dropped the clutch'.

We had to pull over so he could stop laughing.

Rossco

Do i sense a bit of jealousy ???
Your young fella can "Drop the clutch" and bagup the boots and you cant ???
Oh the shame ...

I learned to drive in a fully worked 202 olden, triple carbs the works, dad was watching with the evilest eyes,was funny at the time
I got many belts in the head ....